Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whats better when it comes to wax busting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
I have been contemplating for awhile now on whether or not to start buying various hobby boxes from all three major sports, or would it be better to buy a case of one product at a time??? What do you guys think? Should i spread out and buy a few different boxes or try busting a case of something before i move on to the next product?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
As far as busting goes, I will open ANYTHING (unless it is a special set or something).

It depends what you want to get out of it and what your budget is. If you are looking for fun, either works. If you are looking to re-sell, I would go with a nice fresh case like Bowman Chrome IMO.

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
i dont have very good luck with bowman chrome. in fact, one box i didnt even get an autograph haha. i like opening boxes in general just like everyone else. I guess my main question is, what is smarter. Buying a large selection of different boxes, or a large quantity with special "case" odds?

Jheywardfan

Apr 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
I'd definitely go with a case. Individual Boxes can be great if you want a variety of sports, but can also be brutal in terms of "hits." Certified Hockey has some great rookie autos with great return.......

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
bscook86 said:
i dont have very good luck with bowman chrome. in fact, one box i didnt even get an autograph haha. i like opening boxes in general just like everyone else. I guess my main question is, what is smarter. Buying a large selection of different boxes, or a large quantity with special "case" odds?

BC was just an example of a new product.

If you want to make money, go with a good product with good hits.

But me personally, I would bust a bunch from the same sport, but I can be open to anything

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
have any idea what a certified case would run? couldnt a case also over run your inventory with redundant cards? it wouldnt matter if the case was placed on ebay once it was ripped, you know, sell the hits and put together the sets kind of thing.

also, how do you get a good idea of what you wanna get? i really really like 2009 ultimate baseball. some really nice hits, some that really blow as well. is it worth the price? i know its still 100+ a box i believe. Is exquisite/ud premier/ national treasures worth the risk? i dont have a problem saving for the highend boxes, but would i even get a partial return back?

i know that buying boxes is just like playing the lottery, everyone gets something. whether that something is just the thrill of the chase or actually pulling something worthwhile. ive opened wax before, and ive also just waited for other people to open boxes and bought their pulls at a much lower price than they paid for the box haha, but i just like to open boxes. Must be the collector in me :D

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
TBTwinsFan said:
bscook86 said:

But me personally, I would bust a bunch from the same sport, but I can be open to anything

the quote in red is where the problem lies. almost every product has good hits, just whether or not its worth taking the risk is the big question.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
bscook86 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
bscook86 said:

the quote in red is where the problem lies. almost every product has good hits, just whether or not its worth taking the risk is the big question.

I had to read that twice, but yes I guess you were right. I was thinking about some products that are running for $25 a box on DA because you get 2 crappy autos per box.

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
im thinking a quality box that im looking for is 60-120 per box. what are some really good options for each sport in that range. (shouldnt be too hard to find a decent one)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
any of the four sports are a great time ripping wax

do what you like, eff everyone else

Ain't this the truth.

Although preordering may be different, is it that hard to decide what to buy when checklists, odds and pics of the cards are available with almost no research? I understand it is fun to discuss an upcoming purchase with others though.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
If it helps, I am planning a MASSIVE order from DA. It is going to be:

-1 8-box case of National Chicle (retail I think...)
-2 boxes Topps 206 (or I might substitute for 1 box of BC)
-2 packs Donruss EEE (filler for a better freebie)
-1 retail box NFL Icons (freebie)

Then I plan on picking up:
-2 Garunteed Game used or autos
-1 Discounted Press Pass Game Breakers Blaster/set
-1 Discounted Blaster w/hit
-5-10 random current packs.

This is ALL for busting sake. I am going to take a day when nobody is around, clear off the kitchen table, and open ALL of it. Maybe it helps.

bscook86

Mar 30, 2010
Coffeyville, ks
TBTwinsFan said:
If it helps, I am planning a MASSIVE order from DA. It is going to be:

-1 8-box case of National Chicle (retail I think...)
-2 boxes Topps 206 (or I might substitute for 1 box of BC)
-2 packs Donruss EEE (filler for a better freebie)
-1 retail box NFL Icons (freebie)

Then I plan on picking up:
-2 Garunteed Game used or autos
-1 Discounted Press Pass Game Breakers Blaster/set
-1 Discounted Blaster w/hit
-5-10 random current packs.

This is ALL for busting sake. I am going to take a day when nobody is around, clear off the kitchen table, and open ALL of it. Maybe it helps.

why retail? just curious

Members online

Latest posts