Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about HOF voting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
How do guys like Ruth, Mays, Williams not get 100% votes? Were there really people that thought they shouldn't be in the HOF?

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
There is always that one person that wants to draw attention to themselves. That they have found that one reason why somebody shouldn't be in the hall. It's more or less a power trip. That or they hold a grudge because that player wouldn't sign their baseball.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've noticed that if a voter *knows*, say Frank Thomas, is going to get in to the HOF for certain, a voter may not vote for Frank because he wouldn't want Frank to have a better percentage than, say Babe Ruth, because that voter may think Babe Ruth a more important HOFer and then should have a higher percentage than Frank.

At some point its all relative, but the voting percentage isn't nearly as meaningful after the player reaches the necessary threshold to get inducted.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
There are a few writers who will not vote for anyone who is on their first ballot. They believe that no one should ever get 100 percent of the vote, simply because no one in the past has received 100 percent of the vote.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
It will be even more difficult for 100% in this era. I recall a writer not voting for Ripken and Gwynn because he wasn't completely sure they were clean of PED's.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
All the responses are right on. The same can be said with the MVP voting. Ted Williams should have won another MVP, I believe it was the 1941 season where he hit .406 that one writer left him OFF his ballot. If he had even voted Ted for last place, Ted would have won the MVP that year also.

Tom Seaver was a great pitcher, but to have the highest vote total for the HOF? I could name 20 players that all deserve more votes than he did. It's just a flawed system.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
There was a great show on MLB about the inaugural class of the Hall of Fame. The reason no one got 100% of the votes then was because those given the ballot weren't given any real guideline or rules on who was eligible, so the writers voted on players from the 1870s to even some players still in the game. The final group that was selected just happened to have the most common votes between the writers.

Members online