Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What if TC & BC Were RARE???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I'm about worn out on all the "what's wrong with Topps & yada yada" threads, so I got to thinking...

What if Topps had tightly allocated Topps Chrome & Bowman Chrome? What if they had cut distributors' preorders 80%+ & limited its direct hobby store accounts to 1 or 2 cases? What if they had made only 2000 cases of each product, and better yet made it hobby exclusive? What if they had never added additional autos to either product?

What if they had done it differently?

What do you suppose boxes would be going for at this point in time?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Wouldn't it happen just like with Bowman? Boxes would be nearing 200 dollars? Its hard to say but I would bet that prices would be crazy high and people would be less than happy about it.

Jul 30, 2009
I dont think ther would be much neg stuff said about BC, pretty solid product to me. The production would be real low so the color refs would be in every box.

The auto cl would be even smaller with better chances of landing the best of the best.

There would be no "two days after its released" announcement about a wrapper redemption.

But I actually think if Topps Chrome was pushing the $100 box mark, there would be MORE **** than there is now.

There would still be piss poor cutting, quality, bowing, cocaine, missing autos, smudged autos, faded autos, pen marks, etc. but at triple the current go rate. THAT would be the kicker.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I wouldn't have my one blaster box worth of Topps Chrome or two packs of Bowman Chrome. I just wouldn't buy it. No need to fork over lots of money for something that I have no idea what the hell is even in the packs/boxes.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
011873 said:
There would still be piss poor cutting, quality, bowing, cocaine, missing autos, smudged autos, faded autos, pen marks, etc. but at triple the current go rate. THAT would be the kicker.

Umm, But with less product to put out there would be more time to correct potential production defects...

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I brought this same thing up last night in a different thread.

People would be PISSED. But, at the same time, each case would have 5 TIMES The parallels, parallel autos, USA autos, etc, etc, etc.

Meaning you would hit 2 gold ref autos a case, 6-7 gold refs, 2-3 orange refs, 10-12 blue refs, per case etc. That is the type of case that makes you feel like you are getting your moneys worth. Even if the case is $1300 rather than $480.

Matt

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I know most won't agree with me but I think it would be awesome if the chrome were #'d inserts, but Topps would never go for that b/c it would cut their products by like 3 or 4.

Chrome could be #'d high like out of the year it was made (like gold from topps) and still have all refractors and it's parallels all #'d. I just think it would bring more appreciation for refractors and chrome. People don't care if they pull a refractor anymore and that's sad to me.

You'd could have five or six products:

Topps Series I
Topps Series II
Bowman Series I
Bowman Series II
Topps Update
Bowman Draft

And all those products would have chrome as a #'d insert for every card in the master set.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
markakis8 said:
I know most won't agree with me but I think it would be awesome if the chrome were #'d inserts, but Topps would never go for that b/c it would cut their products by like 3 or 4.

Chrome could be #'d high like out of the year it was made (like gold from topps) and still have all refractors and it's parallels all #'d. I just think it would bring more appreciation for refractors and chrome. People don't care if they pull a refractor anymore and that's sad to me.

Topps Series I
Topps Series II
Bowman Series I
Bowman Series II
Topps Update
Bowman Draft

And all those products would have chrome as a #'d insert for every card in the master set.

So it would be a chrome parallel to a non-chrome base set? Interesting, but probably too late for that?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
011873 said:

Umm, But with less product to put out there would be more time to correct potential production defects...

Topps made far fewer production defects when MLBP allowed manufacturers to release 40 products a year. Now they're limited to 20 products a year and they're making more production defects.

So yeah. You're dead wrong

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Warrens All Stars said:
markakis8 said:

Topps Series I
Topps Series II
Bowman Series I
Bowman Series II
Topps Update
Bowman Draft

So it would be a chrome parallel to a non-chrome base set? Interesting, but probably too late for that?

Exactly. But yes it is definitely too late for that.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
011873 said:

Topps made far fewer production defects when MLBP allowed manufacturers to release 40 products a year. Now they're limited to 20 products a year and they're making more production defects.

So yeah. You're dead wrong

Oh goodie, Mr. Surly is back! BTW, I agree its extra tough when people 'forget' to use a period at the end of sentences.

Who is to say that number of releases has anything to do with defect production...couldn't any single release be produced in great enough quantity to render your theory moot?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Maybe the real question should be, why is topps chrome football always one of the BEST topps football
products every year while topps chrome baseball is one of the worst every year?

and then on top of that. 2009 chrome football was VERY strong.....topps comes out in 2010 and makes
it even stronger with the addition of HOF'er autos! 2009 chrome baseball was weak and topps makes
2010 even weaker.

could it be the competition in football...or maybe the lack of it in baseball?

Kevin

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I don't see what's wrong with Topps. The only thing they did that sucks is doubling the auto checklist which waters it down. The only thing I wish they had done differently was add another color parallel to fill the gap between base refractors and blues. Or even something less rare than base refractors like purples.

As a consumer of this product, I don't see what people can be complaining about other than this. I LOVE seeing low wax prices. 2010 Bowman was a disaster for people who wanted to buy wax. BC will not be that way.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I don't see what's wrong with Topps. The only thing they did that sucks is doubling the auto checklist which waters it down. The only thing I wish they had done differently was add another color parallel to fill the gap between base refractors and blues. Or even something less rare than base refractors like purples.

As a consumer of this product, I don't see what people can be complaining about other than this. I LOVE seeing low wax prices. 2010 Bowman was a disaster for people who wanted to buy wax. BC will not be that way.

you're right on the money Hype, well presented. Had the CL not been watered-down it still would've been good. Imagine, a cheap pack where you actually stand a chance of pulling a top auto rc. Nice concept.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Topps doesn't care about secondary market value, it is only concerned with selling the product. If they can produce it, sell it to distributors and people buy it, they have done their job (in their eyes). Whatever happened to Bowman's $100 guarantee program that started in 1996? Has anyone ever returned their Bowman set to get a check from them for $100?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome were "rare" both products would only be in Walmarts and Targets.

TIP OF THE WEEK: Eat more deviled ham.
101_4780000011.JPG

Members online

Latest posts