Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are buying Printing Plate autos a good investment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
i was thinking of buying a printing plate auto of a player do these bring a better return because of rarity? Like are they a good investment?

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
No- they are ugly and hated on these boards. In other words, not a good investment at all.

Prospectors hate them , players collectors like them.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Not really... I would buy printing plates to complete my EXTRA rainbow, but that would be very difficult...

For one printing plate investment - I don't think it warrants any increase if this certain player exceeds anyone's expectations.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Re: Are buying Printin Plate autos a good idea

Jedi500 said:
i was thinking of buying a printing plate auto of a player do these bring a better return because of rarity? Like are they a good investment?

They have been hit or miss for me. Just sold a Jared Mitchell from Sterling and I did well on it, made about 60%. Sitting on a couple of nice ones that I think I will make money on. Truthfully, you need to sell them when players are VERY HOT though, that is when the money is really made on them. If you try to sell them in the off season, or when a player isn't in the news.....don't bother.

skrip

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Not that I've noticed. They seem to be treated pretty poorly for being 1/1s. That may be because there are usually 4 or 8, or because they aren't that pleasant looking, or because you can't always see a full picture.

Whatever the reason, they don't seem to be treated that well, aside from player collectors

chicuse

Mar 17, 2010
Chicago, IL
I actually think they are great. As a player collector, I hunt for those plates. It's a matter of personal opinion. Applying value to a plate is usually based on how you collect.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Exposfan said:
No- they are ugly and hated on these boards. In other words, not a good investment at all.

Prospectors hate them , players collectors like them.
In my mind this is what makes them the perfect investment. Prices are not all that high early since many prospectors avoid them, but the potential is there.

From what I have seen they offer an interesting alternative to the regular cards, and at times make a lot of sense. Overpaying for them is not worth it, but sometimes they sell very cheap and when that happens there is plenty of money to be made. Earlier this season I picked up 2 Mike Montgomery Chrome Auto plates for $50 each and got $165 and $175 for them shortly after. On the flip side, a couple of Matt Kemp plates sold for under $150 apiece, so that seller may have taken a serious hit.

Basically if they seem to be cheap relative to other cards of the player they are worth picking up, but have risks that other cards don't have. Of course in looking to move them I would pretty much always go BIN/BO (because the demand is a bit lower on them, but those who want may be willing to offer a ton since the supply is so limited) unless the player is incredibly hot at the time.

This just sold for $330:
!BvKgJN!CWk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEvPP1BkV1BMDYPD(uLg~~_3.jpg

And a personal favorite:
ScannedImage-4.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jedi500 said:
i didn't want to announce it but i was looking at buying
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-BOWMAN-CHROME- ... 45f680cd3b

I think the price is high on that based on prices of other plates I've seen. I've seen bigger names go for a decent amount less than that. While the scarcity means that there's no definitive value so I can't say it is a bad deal, I personally would go after his other cards (possibly load up on base Chrome Auto's) if he was a guy I was targeting.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Topnotchsy said:
Jedi500 said:

I think the price is high on that based on prices of other plates I've seen. I've seen bigger names go for a decent amount less than that. While the scarcity means that there's no definitive value so I can't say it is a bad deal, I personally would go after his other cards (possibly load up on base Chrome Auto's) if he was a guy I was targeting.

<------I agree...

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Topnotchsy said:
Jedi500 said:

$100, that's all I would pay.....

skrip

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
I'm sad that no one is selling their base chrome auto i only got to buy like 6 or 7 and a bgs 9.5

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Like any parallel they're truly fantastic when you truly appreciate the (base) card. But they're not cards, they're obviously 'only' used to make them.

Because there are different colors they are 1/1s, but I'm pretty sure a single plate isn't normally used to create every card in a print run.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jedi500 said:
I'm sad that no one is selling their base chrome auto i only got to buy like 6 or 7 and a bgs 9.5
I imagine if you pursue them through the offseason you'll be able to pick up a decent number, possibly even at recessed prices.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Like any parallel they're truly fantastic when you truly appreciate the (base) card. But they're not cards, they're obviously 'only' used to make them.

Because they're different colors they're 1/1s, but I'm pretty sure a single plate isn't normally used to create every card in a print run.
There should be 4 different colors inserted in packs. From what I have heard (though have not confirmed) the companies use 2 sets (so 2 of each color.) Still they are quite rare and in my book enough like cards to view them as such.

chicuse

Mar 17, 2010
Chicago, IL
...and, if you can get all 4 plates of a rookie auto'd, that would be a better investment than having just single plates. Rainbows win!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topnotchsy said:

Because they're different colors they're 1/1s, but I'm pretty sure a single plate isn't normally used to create every card in a print run.
There should be 4 different colors inserted in packs. From what I have heard (though have not confirmed) the companies use 2 sets (so 2 of each color.) Still they are quite rare and in my book enough like cards to view them as such.

I think the number of plates used depends on the size of the print run, or at least I've heard as much. My understanding is that plates break down and need to be replaced.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:

I think the number of plates used depends on the size of the print run, or at least I've heard as much. My understanding is that plates break down and need to be replaced.
That makes sense.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I have done very well with them, but you have to be very patient. Never sell them via an auction. Always lsit as a BIN/BO, and wait for that person to buy

Like others have said, if you miss the boat when they player is a hot propsect to cash in, you can always make a good return when he becomes an established player. As i said be patient, and you can do well.

My last auto plate i sold was a Starlin Castro Bowman Auto for double what I paid,

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I am a plate lover........have 60+ plates but never chase them, only pay what I think is acceptable. I don't prospect though

There was a member here who showed how the plates are used, very interesting,

Members online

Latest posts