Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Do You Buy For???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdaddyblue73

Sep 2, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
Out of interest I just wanted to see if anyone else on this board buys cards for someone other than themself. And exactly who they buy stuff for.

I collect NY Giants cards for me.
I buy Cincinnati Bengals cards for my mother in law.
Yer. Mother in law.
Why she ended up with the Bengals as her chosen team is still kind of a mystery. (She lives in NJ.) She has said is was because no one roots for them and they needed some fans. But she is certainly a big fan. She has 100s and 100s of memorbilia items. Nothing fabulously valuable, but tons of souvenir level stuff--jerseys, caps, shirts, posters, banners, glasses, you name it.

When I bust a few packs I always set aside the Bengals stuff for her and I try to pick up a handful of Autos and Relics at my LCS or on ebay to give her for Xmas.

Anyone else do anything like this?

Zeeck

Mar 29, 2010
Aurora, IL
My brother-in-law used to collect cards. He's a huge Cowboys fan, so every now and then I pick something up for him, hoping to entice him back into the hobby. Last year when he was laid up after having knee surgery I got him a nice Aikman auto.

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
I collect Ohio State, Georgia Tech, Falcons, Braves, and Yankee players. I round up Notre Dame players for my Buddy. I also put aside Broncos players for my sister.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
Seahawks for me.
Cardinals and neat patches for my g/f.
When I am out at shops or shows, I'll pickup stuff for members of the board I like.
On ebay, if I see something someone would want (low dollar most of the time) I'll pick it up and send it as a freebie.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
For myself, it's Dallas Cowboys and former Miami Hurricanes.

In the past, I've had to pick up Steelers stuff for my brother. It was horrible to see my hard earned money go for that crap. He was kind of forced out of the hobby when he was married, although I do set aside some Steelers cards I pull here and there. I just can't let my sister-in-law know :lol: .

I also used to buy Titans or Redskins cards for my friend either as tradebait or freebies. He died back in January though, so no more Titans/Redskins purchases for me.

joeyV

May 20, 2009
New Orleans
I don't go to shows but if I happen to be buying enough from an ebay seller with a good deal on shipping, I'll pick up stuff for some people on here.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I toss the neat **** to my better-half. Dinosaur bones, 1890s stamps, crap like that. I'll pick up 10 dollar cards for a handful of friends even if they don't collect. They make neat little birthday gifts in addition to buying drinks and what not.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
I buy Buffalo Bills stuff for my GF quite often when i come across it. Shes been a life long Bills fan who grew up just outside Toronto towards the US border and since she said Buffalo was only about 1 hour from were she lived, that everyone in her area of southern Ontario grew up being a Bills fan.

She really started her collection in 2003, with the help of myself she has built up a truly great Bills collection that consists of tons of cards, autographed 8x10s and 16x20s of Bills players past and present and also owns about 7 Bills signed mini helmets of various players. She also has a rather large wardrobe of Bills clothing including 7 different jerseys.

Many people in Calgarys card market that is friends with us knows to save any Bills stuff for her as well. Even our LCS guy will phone her if he gets anything Bills related that is cool in.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
G $MONEY$ said:
I buy Buffalo Bills stuff for my GF quite often when i come across it. Shes been a life long Bills fan who grew up just outside Toronto towards the US border and since she said Buffalo was only about 1 hour from were she lived, that everyone in her area of southern Ontario grew up being a Bills fan.

She really started her collection in 2003, with the help of myself she has built up a truly great Bills collection that consists of tons of cards, autographed 8x10s and 16x20s of Bills players past and present and also owns about 7 Bills signed mini helmets of various players. She also has a rather large wardrobe of Bills clothing including 7 different jerseys.

Many people in Calgarys card market that is friends with us knows to save any Bills stuff for her as well. Even our LCS guy will phone her if he gets anything Bills related that is cool in.

Hamilton? The Four-year superbowl run combined with the proximity made for a tonne of bills fans around these parts...

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Since I am the only collector in the family I guess I am collecting for my kid who will someday inherit all of this goodness.

SeattlefantillIdie

Oct 2, 2008
KENMORE, WASHINGTON
I tend to only buy for myself (nothing personal) but try to help others out when I can. I'm the only card nut in my family besides my oldest son (almost 9) so I do get him some things, but nothing of high value.

TonsofCommons is a pretty helpful guy who goes to a lot of shows, maybe he can help a few people out?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
pigskincardboard said:
G $MONEY$ said:

Hamilton? The Four-year superbowl run combined with the proximity made for a tonne of bills fans around these parts...

Yes, she lived In Hamilton and then Peterborough. She said pretty much everyone she knew cheered for the Bills.

Members online

Latest posts