Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cry a tear of Joy (Joe Morgan goooooone)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
ESPN Sources: Miller and Morgan will not be returning to Sunday Night Baseball. Morgan out @ ESPN; Miller out of TV; rest TBD.

From the Twitters.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Re: Cry a tear of Joy

I love John Miller and despise Joe Morgan. I'll still get to hear Miller on Giants games so I'm fine with this.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Re: Cry a tear of Joy

Miller is pretty weird to me, but Morgan is the all-time worst and I hope someone at ESPN explained that to him in great detail.

If I end up in hell, I expect to find a TV playing only Yankees games with Joe Morgan calling every one.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I'm sorry but the previous poster gave me a laugh with this one... I had to edit it just a bit.

If I end up in hell, I expect to find a TV playing only Yankees games with Tim Mccarver calling every one.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Exposfan said:
I'm sorry but the previous poster gave me a laugh with this one... I had to edit it just a bit.

If I end up in hell, I expect to find a TV playing only Yankees games with Tim Mccarver calling every one.

Or Morgan and McCarver......that would be hell.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Always underrated in my opinion. I think people liked to bash because they felt that was what everyone thought. He made it all those years for a reason.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
jbhofmann said:
Always underrated in my opinion. I think people liked to bash because they felt that was what everyone thought. He made it all those years for a reason.

To each their own, I've been watching Joe Morgan since the mid to late '80's when he was teamed with Duane Kuiper on Giants Vision. He has always spent too much time talking about himself and is far too middle-infielder-centric to give a good, knowledgable broadcast to the viewers about the rest of the game in my opinion.

aekdb535

Jun 26, 2010
oh happy day, I can finally watch Sunday night baseball without the mute on. I'll miss Miller, but Morgan hurt my head. He was the John Madden of his time.

Would love to see Chip Carey as a replacement.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
This just in.......

Fox will be running a three man broadcasting booth calling the Major League Baseball games for the 2011 baseball season. The personalities in the booth giving the play by play will consist of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver as the perennial Fox broadcasters. In addition, Fox announces they will add Joe Morgan, formally of ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.

PS.....Just kidding.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's the ESPN article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5782045

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.

Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.

"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades, Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."

Miller, the play-by-play voice, received the Baseball Hall of Fame's 2010 Ford C. Frick Award. Morgan, the color commentator, was a two-time National League MVP with the Cincinnati Reds. The second baseman was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1990.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
People bag on McCarver all of the time, but the only thing he is guilty of is "dumbing down
a lot of plays so that the recreational viewer gets some inside knowledge. That's it. It's tougher to find someone with more dead-on play by play insight and situational knowledge than him though.

Morgan was a poor man's McCarver. He'd chime in, "Well, we'll probably see a steal here because this is a perfect time, blah blah blah." He'll then be wrong, and say why he would've made the call to do so and then question the manager. McCarver would do a similar thing...only correctly call the next play, the next pitch, the fielding shift.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I've always thought that Morgan and McCarver were similar in that they broadcast games like there's someone out there who's watching baseball for the first time ever, and they are talking to them. Over simplification, explanations, etc. Annoying to avid baseball fans, but if they felt they were educating that newcomer to the game, then they did their job.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Morgan always sounded like a Debbie Downer to me. He never had energy in his voice and sounded depressed.
A great ballplayer, but a horrible announcer.

Members online