Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adam Foster of Project Prospect's thoughts on 2010 Elite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I know this is late, but we had scrapped the idea after we had already paid for it.

After digging through some articles, I decided to dig this out and post it anyway. After looking at the 2010 elite cl, this is what Adam thought about some of the prospects.

I recommend

Josh Donaldson – Fresh off a breakout power season, Donaldson is a near big-league-
ready hitter who could have a lengthy career as a catcher. The Auburn product was a
shortstop in high school and split time between catcher and third base in the SEC. His
defense behind the plate is closer to adequate than elite. Donaldson has been recognized
for his intelligence and athleticism throughout his career – he’s an above-average runner
for a catcher. A patient hitter who may be on the verge of putting everything together,
Donaldson should spend a good amount of time in the big leagues in 2011 and could
surface as an above-average MLB catcher. Even if he is forced to move from behind the
plate, he may have enough bat to find a home elsewhere on the diamond.

Drew Cumberland – The most important aspect of hitting is being able to make contact
with the ball. And when you pair outstanding contact ability with youth and a potential
up-the-middle glove, you get a promising prospect. Throw in signs of emerging power
and you have a guy who is well on the track of becoming a big leaguer. Cumberland
has spent time at second base in each of the last three seasons and may be moved there
permanently in the future. He walked more than he struck out in 2009 but showed below-
average patience in 2010. If you’re into potential superstars, you’re eyeing the wrong
guy. But if you appreciate prospects who are likely big leaguers, Cumberland is someone
to follow closely.

Avoid

Brett Wallace – Wallace has played for four organizations over the last two years. He’s
been a desired trade chip because his bat has been near big-league-ready basically since
his junior season at Arizona State. His large frame is often brought up by his doubters,
but he has very soft hands and moves well enough to be an above-average defender at
first base. So what’s the hesitation? Wallace has shown little patience as a pro. He’ll turn
25 next year. And he’s probably not going to hit for enough power to compensate for the
number of outs he’ll make. When I saw Wallace take batting practice in Spring Training,
he didn’t show much raw power. If you’re banking on Wallace becoming an above-
average regular, you’re probably going to get burnt. He may struggle to surface as even
an average big leaguer.

Dee Gordon – While Gordon has speed, makes regular contact, and may be able to
stick at shortstop, his patience is no better than average and he has school-boy power.
Gordon’s lean frame and ground-ball swing will likely keep him from generating much
power in the future, too. Don’t get me wrong, we’re talking about a promising prospect
here. But his chances of becoming an elite big leaguer are slim. Some people see tools to
dream on here. I see a backup infielder/pinch runner.

Randal Grichuck – Grichuck has a great build and impressive power. Unfortunately he
combines poor pitch recognition with an aggressive approach to hitting. Grichuck has
actually put up pretty promising numbers to date. But he’s going to need to make some
big adjustments as he rises through the minors. Between the Angels confidence in him as

an amateur and his promising power, he certainly has a lot working in his favor. Just be
careful not to build your expectations up to much at this juncture.

Other names of interest

Matt Davidson – I went out of my way to get a look at Matt Davidson after his
promotion to the California League this summer. While I’m not going to ding him too
much for being overmatched against High-A pitching – he was one of the youngest
players in the league – it was hard to get past his unusual build. Though he showed soft
hands and good footwork, Davidson already has a thick lower half that limits his range.
His bat is intriguing. Just be aware that he could be destined for a move to first base.

Corban Joseph – When I got a Bill Mueller comp for Joseph last off-season, I became
interested. He was fresh off an impressive full-season debut as a second baseman who
hit a lot of line drives. When I saw Joseph in person, my enthusiasm for him waned. He
didn’t show much speed and was overmatched every time at the plate. Right now, I’m
having trouble imagining him as more than a solid Triple-A player.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
Drew Cumberland is in 07 Elite, looks like he reviewed all the years. And Wallace has never been in Elite, not sure what list you paid for.

Latest posts