Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay (problem): has this happened to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Here's the story:

A 1/1 card of Chris Young (Topps Update Platinum) shows up end of October. I bid and lose out, okay, fine end of story; my fault for not bidding high enough. That happens. The winner of the auction was someone with only 5 feedback.

Fast forward a bit: the same card shows up again by the same seller yesterday. I have the max bid until I get up this morning to see that my bid was cancelled and the auction is no longer up.

Is there anything I can do about this or have I just seen the same card disappear for the second time?

Thanks!

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I believe: no, you can not seek some sort of punishment for the seller - presuming as per eBay.

We had a thread about four months ago involving the morality/issue of pulling cards for off-eBay transactions.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for the input. I remember that thread.
I wasn't looking to "punish" in any way the seller. I was just wondering if there was a way I could have him/her respect the auction and let the highest bidder win (like the first time).

Thanks again!

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I see. You should try and contact the seller? If he is trying to sell it off eBay, all bets are off; see if you can best the other potential buyer? Of course, you run the risk of less protection with only a 'goods' payment.

On that note, was it eBay's intention to reduce off-eBay transactions by making the "Contact Seller" button harder to find?

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Superfractor said:
I see. You should try and contact the seller? If he is trying to sell it off eBay, all bets are off; see if you can best the other potential buyer? Of course, you run the risk of less protection with only a 'goods' payment.

On that note, was it eBay's intention to reduce off-eBay transactions by making the "Contact Seller" button harder to find?

I was thinking of doing that indeed and most likely will.
Yes, that "contact seller" is definately a thing to look for nowadays.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Superfractor said:

Still works though......70% of all my buying is done off of ebay.

to the original poster, move on.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
David Campos said:
Are you signed up for the secret Santa? Maybe someone asked the seller to end the auction and is picking it up for you? You never know why auctions are ended sometimes.
I know he is in the FCB Birthday Group ;) so maybe someone wants to get it from him in that group :D

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Not in Secret Santa.
I didn't think about B-day group.
EricInCT: thanks for the "friendly" advice and being so "to the point".
Don't worry, I already have moved on, just ticked that people who have a fair shot at a card they want lose simply because the seller takes an offer off of Ebay. In other words, it's not playing fair. It was just a rant.

Have a good day!

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
It happens alot in PreWar with under the table offers off eBay.

I will sometimes write the seller and tell them I had a proxy snipe bid of $X,*** (exaggerate a bit), because I needed this card badly..... and see what they say.
In any case they may learn their lesson and not sell off eBay if they think that they screwed themselves. And in reality they usually do.

Latest posts