Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on 2010 Bowman Chrome purple refractors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
...with hobby at $40 per box, or so, it's insane to buy retail.

Purple refractors are /899 but only available in blasters - I don't believe they're in the jumbo packs.

Is it possible - if not likely - that the purple refractors are going to be more rare than the regular refractors -- in terms of the marketplace -- as few blasters are going to be opened?

Wondering how the market is seeing, or will see, the value of the /899 purple vs. regular refractor /500, since so few purples will likely hit the marketplace.

In 2010 Bowman, I've found that the two go for about the same amount. . . but everyone opened as much 2010 bowman as they could find, retail or hobby.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If I had a choice between a base ref and a purple ref, I would choose the purple even though they are more common than the base refs.

I wish they had included them in hobby. Even as a less rare parallel, they would still provide a little extra excitement and value for breakers; and they would also help make up for the gap between Refs and Blues, even though technically purples would not be in that gap.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
If I had a choice between a base ref and a purple ref, I would choose the purple even though they are more common than the base refs.

I wish they had included them in hobby. Even as a less rare parallel, they would still provide a little extra excitement and value for breakers; and they would also help make up for the gap between Refs and Blues, even though technically purples would not be in that gap.

That's just it. As more visually appealing than a base refractor, that's what's kept their value constant with a Bowman 2010 /500. However, with SO FEW being opened in 2010 Bowman Chrome, I would think that even at /899, almost twice the production, they just won't hit the marketplace and may command a premium. Not a blue /150 premium, but they may be priced at previous xfractor levels.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
not sure how "poorly" the BC retail is doing by you, but my Target blew through 10 blasters, two retail boxes and about 10 value packs in one day

someones buying this crap lol

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jeff N. said:
Jaypers said:
Purples are in both blasters and rack packs.

That changes things. The green xfractors are a nice incentive to bust racks. I was under the impression that they weren't in the racks.

They're 1:15 packs, just like in the blasters, FYI.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I think ALL numbered parallels from this product will be more valuable than previous years because of increased production.

I've been looking for the Stanton Topps 100 gold refractor. So far, ONE has shown up. And that card is numbered to 50

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
How many greens will actually surface of each guy?

5161432511_19180defd4.jpg

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
not sure how "poorly" the BC retail is doing by you, but my Target blew through 10 blasters, two retail boxes and about 10 value packs in one day

someones buying this crap lol

Agreed. A lot of people here go by so much inside info with case-buying, they don't even think about the average collector.

Not everyone is hoping for Hobby to drop another dollar so they can buy a case.

My Walmart and Target can never keep in retail (blasters, single packs, racks...). I'm happy to find a couple when I stop.

The average person buying there is going to get them, and if they take them to shops to trade/sell or even put them up themselves, they will find their way into the bigger pool of ebay and other buyers.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
Don't forget about how Blowout will have blasters at crazy deals because of the over production. They always seem to have a vast inventory of retail, even when they all appear to be bought up.

Just an FYI.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its a good marketing move by Topps to insert different cards/parallels in both releases, in particular it helps to draw in the most hard-core into retail.

ALL_THE_HYPE said:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Jeff N. said:

Purple refractors are /899 but only available in blasters - I don't believe they're in the jumbo packs.

Is it possible - if not likely - that the purple refractors are going to be more rare than the regular refractors -- in terms of the marketplace -- as few blasters are going to be opened?

Wondering how the market is seeing, or will see, the value of the /899 purple vs. regular refractor /500, since so few purples will likely hit the marketplace.

In 2010 Bowman, I've found that the two go for about the same amount. . . but everyone opened as much 2010 bowman as they could find, retail or hobby.

Blasters are crap... I opened one and got one Purple, 2 regulars, and one USA card. The Purple was of a higher ranking yankees prospect (not terrible...) the regulars are of nobody's and I never heard of the USA kid.

I might buy one or 2 more since they are available, but if BC is hitting $40 a box, I will be after those instead.

crowTrobot

Nov 4, 2010
based on odds topps is making approx 1.5 million retail packs (in various formats).

whatever your local walmart is selling through that's pretty much a never ending supply. a lot of it will be dumped at some point.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
There is still a large group of people who only buy retail. This stuff one way or the other will get into the marketplace.

Kevin

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
TBTwinsFan said:
Jeff N. said:

Blasters are crap... I opened one and got one Purple, 2 regulars, and one USA card. The Purple was of a higher ranking yankees prospect (not terrible...) the regulars are of nobody's and I never heard of the USA kid.

I might buy one or 2 more since they are available, but if BC is hitting $40 a box, I will be after those instead.

It's there. Atlanta offered me a case at $450. $37.50 ea.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Purple are in all retail, will be interesting to see how many purples we pull tonight. Busting a retail 8ct case.

Members online