Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Found an affordable 1952 Topps Mantle on ebay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If I had to guess, I'd say it's 2 worthless reprints made to look horridly old/bad to try and hide the fact they are worthless. Even selling for what they are at now is 20x more than what they were worth before the cosmetic 'enhancments'...

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
matfanofold said:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's 2 worthless reprints made to look horridly old/bad to try and hide the fact they are worthless. Even selling for what they are at now is 20x more than what they were worth before the cosmetic 'enhancments'...
That is correct.

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
kdailey4315 said:
::facepalm:: If the seller really did trade a Bird/Magic RC for those.

Yea, that's what I was thinking! But the seller may end up getting more for these two cards than he would have for the Bird/Magic.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
My guess is fake! Conveniently sells nothing but totally trashed Mickey Mantle rookies, coincidence . . . I don't think so. He also sells reprint Mantle RC's, probably makes the "real ones" in his basement with some sort of crazy aging process. I wouldn't touch that for FREE.

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
dannyboy19 said:
Anyone take a look at what he has sold in the past few months..selling crappy Mantle RCs or...reprints...you be the judge

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

Nice, I didn't look at his completed auctions. If he is scamming, it sure is a lucrative business he has built for himself. I'm leaning towards the scam, pretty unbelievable that one guy would come across so many destroyed '52 Mantles.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Very suspect. The part I find odd is that the seller feels the need to say they traded RC's for the Mantle. Like they are trying to make it sound legit.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Reading each story of how he obtainted each Mantle RC is comedy in itself. Conveniently trimmed or edges ripped off on each one (possible removing any notation of reprint if you ask me). Guess I'm no expert, but smart enough to stay clear and let someone else "get a deal" that even the seller admits PSA won't authenticate

bportjoey

May 27, 2010
Chicago
I used to do that with reprints for fun when i was 10 years old all you need is a nail file and some quick hands over a stove top to give them the brown look, also in one of the auction the fading on the front looks too bright like the reprint stock is comimg through

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
200lbhockeyplayer said:
matfanofold said:
That is correct.

+2

I vote bogus.

I am guessing the mention of the Bird/Magic rookie was made to coax bidders into thinking about the price of that card. Especially since he claims he has no idea what the value of a trashed Mantle would be. Based on the ending price, his anchoring strategy seemed to work.

If he had said he traded a Jordan rookie for the card, it may have sold for $1K.

Members online

Latest posts