Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone notice the 2010 BC plates are not reversed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
While all the ones in the past (to my knowledge) are. Guess they used a new printing method.

2010oddbcfront.jpg
2010oddBCback.jpg

REDMINE.jpg

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I just noticed yesterday that my 2010 Topps Chrome plate isn't reversed either:

2010 TC
2010TOPPSCHROMEplatecyanM.jpg

2009 TC
2009TOPPSCHROMEplateblackM.jpg

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Is there a new printing process or are they pulling the wool over our eyes? I always thought they were reversed too, but with these all over the place, I didn't even care to notice til now.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
securedsports said:
Is there a new printing process or are they pulling the wool over our eyes? I always thought they were reversed too, but with these all over the place, I didn't even care to notice til now.

Regular Topps and Bowman have been "normal," meaning they looked just like the printed card.

Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome have been "reversed" for as long as I've been collecting them. This is the first instance of the Chromes being "normal" that I've seen.

As far as the process being used, I have no idea how printing works. Just know what I have.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Here's what I've learned in the past. Guess it's time to update my info....

Basically all Chrome plates are reversed. Non Chrome = "normal".

Here's how I understand it.

The images that are "normal" have been that way since the early 60's (earliest Topps plate I've seen). The plates we use at work, ones used to make newspapers, Beckett magazine plates that are often offered for sale etc are all the "normal" way. The reversed ones are for Chrome.

"Regular" facing plates were used to make non Chrome cards using an offset process - which means the ink (a primary color) is applied via the plate to a rubber roller - which now would be the "reverse" of the plate - and that is applied to the cardboard - and thus will look like the plate. That's how offset printing is done.Offset printing has the advantage of consistent high quality image production.

Reversed Image/Chrome plates- That means that the plate came directly in contact with the sheet as opposed to offset where the image is transferred from the plate to a rubber pad and then to the sheet.4-colors are required for C (Cyan), M (Magenta), Y (Yellow), K (Black) printing. 1 plate is produced for each run a card makes through the press - 1x for each color.

In 1993 Flair had a 6 color printing process adding Orange and Green.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
MartinFFcollector said:
Here's what I've learned in the past. Guess it's time to update my info....

Basically all Chrome plates are reversed. Non Chrome = "normal".

Here's how I understand it.

The images that are "normal" have been that way since the early 60's (earliest Topps plate I've seen). The plates we use at work, ones used to make newspapers, Beckett magazine plates that are often offered for sale etc are all the "normal" way. The reversed ones are for Chrome.

"Regular" facing plates were used to make non Chrome cards using an offset process - which means the ink (a primary color) is applied via the plate to a rubber roller - which now would be the "reverse" of the plate - and that is applied to the cardboard - and thus will look like the plate. That's how offset printing is done.Offset printing has the advantage of consistent high quality image production.

Reversed Image/Chrome plates- That means that the plate came directly in contact with the sheet as opposed to offset where the image is transferred from the plate to a rubber pad and then to the sheet.4-colors are required for C (Cyan), M (Magenta), Y (Yellow), K (Black) printing. 1 plate is produced for each run a card makes through the press - 1x for each color.

In 1993 Flair had a 6 color printing process adding Orange and Green.

I always refer to that post of yours when I see a question about plates. Who knew it was all LIES!!!

J/K ;)

Wonder what's going on?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Here's a curious one.

I just won this 2010 Topps Chrome FOOTBALL plate, which IS reversed:

!B7NcV7Q!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lEEy+jC1)KIBMzhPyYHjw~~-1_12.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Was football released before Baseball TC? Or maybe a different printer.

Apparently offset (old "normal" plate way) is higher quality. So possibly they use that now for Chrome plates.

I'm just guessing though, as the little I know about printing I've learned from sport card message boards.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't think the word "normal" can be applied to printing plate images since it has more to do with how the card was printed and less to do with whether it is on Chrome stock or not.

And a quick eBay search will show multiple examples for other years--2008 Topps was not reversed, for example.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
rico08 said:
I don't think the word "normal" can be applied to printing plate images since it has more to do with how the card was printed and less to do with whether it is on Chrome stock or not.

And a quick eBay search will show multiple examples for other years--2008 Topps was not reversed, for example.

I used normal, as in the view is normal looking.

Please link a 2008 Topps Chrome that is not reversed. I couldn't find one with a quick search. Thanks.

If this was the example you saw, it's incorrectly listed as Chrome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Bowman-Chr...0645527881?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c1708a949

2008 Topps Chrome. Reversed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Topps-Chro...0513519165?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item230b4e0a3d

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
I was wondering the same thing. I pulled a Stoneburner plate and wondered why it was "normal" vs. the others I have pulled from Chrome/Draft in the past. Also, the same for my Freddy Sanchez Topps Chrome that was "normal" too. Would be nice to have someone form Topps explain this.

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
Printing plates are not actually used for printing. Everything today is FTP - File to Print, files from one computer are transferred to another computer attached to the printing machines. The plates are just a manufacturered inserts like anything else.

As far as I know most the card printing has been in this format for a few years now.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
GarkoCollector said:
Heritage still uses the plates to print (Also not reversed)
06BowmanHeritageBlack1of1.jpg

I was about to post the same kind of thing. I don't have one, but I know there are plates that still have the ink residue on them that people have pulled.

I doubt the company would go through the trouble of dipping one in a paint can to make it look authentic.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Juddy-From what I read you have alot of experience with the card companies. How do you know they use PTF? Any proof? Making a claim like you did, you should expect some to disagree without any proof. Including myself, based on plates I own and have seen. Seems like they would go thru alot of work to add the wear, ink etc when another 1/1 paper card would be easier and not have them commit fraud, in a way I guess. They state on the backs of plates that this was used to manufacture the actual card etc. Wouldn't that open them up to a lawsuit?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
MartinFFcollector said:
... They state on the backs of plates that this was used to manufacture the actual card etc.

Topps uses this phrase on a lot of their stuff in the vault. I know some of the proofs are 'used to make the actual card' but only to make sure the ink, etc. is properly set on the plate as a test run, but these proofs never came in contact with any final card meant for distribution to consumers.

It would be tremendous if Topps explained their printing processes.

Juddy

Aug 22, 2010
Rogersville, MO
Why in the hell would I bother lying about something so meaningless as the origin/usage of printing plates? Good gracious......are you kidding me? Really?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Juddy said:
Why in the hell would I bother lying about something so meaningless as the origin/usage of printing plates? Good gracious......are you kidding me? Really?

I don't care about a lot of things, and I never open packs of anything anymore, but your claim that plates aren't even used any more is some of the biggest news I've heard about cards in a long time!!! Maybe I am the only one who is stunned!!
I never imagined that the card companies just make these plates as inserts!!!! It makes sense, though, now that you say it!!!! Amazing!

Members online