Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Okay...tough IP Basketball question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
None of my friends can come up with a good idea on this so let me know what ya'll think.

I like to collect IP autos of entire basketball teams provided they will stop and sign. Now I normally do this on a basketball but if any of you have ever collected autographed basketballs, they can take up quite a lot of room after a while. Especially if you do football and baseball stuff too. I also don't really do the photo crap either. My idea with that is after a while you get so many signed that you can't possibly display even a fraction of them so I don't bother with them. I want a team signed item. I also don't want to do a generic jersey or anything like that. I also don't want to do what I have seen others do, and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a piece of wood that is similar looking to a basketball court, and get it signed. To me...where the hell are you even going to display that? It seems a bit tacky.

So my question is...besides a basketball(which is normally my preferred option), and not using any of the other above mentioned items, is there anything else anyone has an idea for using? I was thinking team programs or yearbooks would be a great idea but the last time I even went to a Rocket's game, they said they no longer even sell programs. I was stunned since football and baseball teams both do so quite regularly. But...I can't display a slew of programs either. But for some reason I'd feel more satisfied getting those signed rather than photos. I was also thinking of team posters but I think of the photo problem every time I think of posters. And those would take up way more display room than a basketball.

I know I am being pretty damn picky here but I am really just wondering what everyone does? I am always open to new ideas but it seems to me I covered them all. Anyone got any other ideas?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
wlalocal71 said:
What about a team media guide? You can pick one up on ebay.

Well...good idea. Are they decently sized though? Magazine sized? The only media guides I have are baseball though so I'll have to do some research on that route. I didn't even think of it for other sports. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any others?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I apologize if I am wrong, but you don't do cards right?

Ticket stubbs, but there aren't a whole lot of those...

Wow this is a toughy.... I would say filler's or decoy's, but I know a lot of players don't sign blank items...

Maybe check in the gift shop... I know it is tacky, but sometimes they have some stuff that looks pretty cool signed. Like a PEZ Dispenser (in package) would look cool signed...

kdog4187

Apr 24, 2009
I'm going to throw out a suggestion I use for minor league baseball teams. I take a piece of photo paper and print the team logo in the center then have the team sign around it. It usually comes out really nice and it is still a team signed piece and wont take up too much space. Also super inexpensive.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I do minor league baseball and use the mini helmets [ ice cream] for both teams .
problem i have ; How do you display 50 + G/U autoed cracked bats

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
I think u should reconsider the floorboard idea. Seems like an 8x10 piece of flooring would look awesome in a frame with a team photo from that season.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:

Wow this is a toughy.... I would say filler's or decoy's, but I know a lot of players don't sign blank items...

Maybe check in the gift shop... I know it is tacky, but sometimes they have some stuff that looks pretty cool signed. Like a PEZ Dispenser (in package) would look cool signed...

Nah...trust me, I have enough cards to get IP autos of every player on any given team roster. But I would rather go the team route.

About the blank items idea, I am not sure. I have had some refuse and some not so I couldn't say but the last thing I'd want is to get shut out for that reason.

And no...I won't go as random as a Pez dispenser. Besides...I am talking visiting teams. Not the hometown team. But adding stuff to my collection like a Pez Dispenser seems kinda crazy. Next thing you know you are like my buddy and you have so much random and oddball stuff signed that not only can you not display it but it starts to really make you question if its even worth it or not?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
kdog4187 said:
I'm going to throw out a suggestion I use for minor league baseball teams. I take a piece of photo paper and print the team logo in the center then have the team sign around it. It usually comes out really nice and it is still a team signed piece and wont take up too much space. Also super inexpensive.

Might be an idea. Not the first time I have heard of it either...which leads me to believe they might be decent enough to try. My buddy actually just gave me a poster type thing for the Mavs but sadly its from like 2005. But the item itself would be a great thing to get provided I could find current versions. It was way smaller than a poster but also decent sized enough to hold all signatures and it also included all the players on the roster. But again...after a while its as bothersome as the basketballs because how do you display them all?

The reason I don't like photos is because I know guys who hit up the flea market and buy stacks of photofiles and end up getting them all signed and then keeping them in binders. But they add up so quickly that its way too hard to display them all.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tramers said:
I do minor league baseball and use the mini helmets [ ice cream] for both teams .
problem i have ; How do you display 50 + G/U autoed cracked bats

the bats would be easy for me. You...well you might have less space to work with.

And the problem I have with basketball is unlike every other major sport, they don't use helmets! I am not sure about hockey but racing, football, and baseball can covered quite easily, cost effectively, and also with space in mind. You buy a mini helmet or even a die cast(for nascar) and you don't even need a cube plus they don't take up much space. You buy baseballs for MLB and they come with a cube, plus they don't take up much space.

Basketball is the only sport I collect where space becomes an issue. Especially being as picky as I am and not doing the photo route.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
alifaxwa2 said:
I think u should reconsider the floorboard idea. Seems like an 8x10 piece of flooring would look awesome in a frame with a team photo from that season.

I went through my buddies the other night and they do look nice but they are also another oddball type of item. I have seen where people buy a team sticker, put it in the center, and then let the players sign around it. That could also be an option. They could be displayed easily though without a team photo. Maybe just wrapped in a nice piece of polybag with a label and then a little stand(much like the ones they sell to display cards...you know...for the one touches and stuff...almost like Magicpappa has all his Griffey's sitting in in his display cases).

I don't know...but these are definitely some good ideas. Thanks for the help thus far guys.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Nah...trust me, I have enough cards to get IP autos of every player on any given team roster. But I would rather go the team route.

About the blank items idea, I am not sure. I have had some refuse and some not so I couldn't say but the last thing I'd want is to get shut out for that reason.

And no...I won't go as random as a Pez dispenser. Besides...I am talking visiting teams. Not the hometown team. But adding stuff to my collection like a Pez Dispenser seems kinda crazy. Next thing you know you are like my buddy and you have so much random and oddball stuff signed that not only can you not display it but it starts to really make you question if its even worth it or not?

Actually, I am like your friend :D :D :D :D

I had some really oddball stuff signed as a kid (popcorn boxes, with popcorn still in them...) but I have tried to tone it down to balls, programs, 8x10s, etc etc...

I missed the whole "team" part... I am not too big on getting team signed stuff, because that takes a LOT of work, and usually strike out when it comes to graphing (hard to graph in my area).

I like the photopaper with the logo idea... Someone here is doing that with baseball HOFers, and it looks really cool.

Another option is buying an authentic jersey, no name or number, and have a team sign it. It would be a little more expensive, but I have seen other people do it, and it looks really nice... I know baseball jersey and basketball jersey material is different... so that might also pose a problem...

Basketball is a difficult sport...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

I had some really oddball stuff signed as a kid (popcorn boxes, with popcorn still in them...) but I have tried to tone it down to balls, programs, 8x10s, etc etc...

I missed the whole "team" part... I am not too big on getting team signed stuff, because that takes a LOT of work, and usually strike out when it comes to graphing (hard to graph in my area).

I like the photopaper with the logo idea... Someone here is doing that with baseball HOFers, and it looks really cool.

Another option is buying an authentic jersey, no name or number, and have a team sign it. It would be a little more expensive, but I have seen other people do it, and it looks really nice... I know baseball jersey and basketball jersey material is different... so that might also pose a problem...

Its not a matter of getting them to sign. That will be the easiest part. As for a jersey...too much space. Plus its costly to frame.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Its not a matter of getting them to sign. That will be the easiest part. As for a jersey...too much space. Plus its costly to frame.

Hmm,

That would be the hard part for me, but I don't try too hard.

Team photos would be the only other thing to think about.

Sorry I am not much help...

Members online

Latest posts