Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1952 Topps #311 Mantle!!! Anybody have one???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
Anybody have a '52 Mantle??? Yes I know it's beyond expensive and it's the baseball "Holy Grail"... But curious to see if anybody on here has one or if they are all in millionaire private collections? LoL

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
'52 Mantles are nice cards, no doubt, and I'm sure that there are more represented on the boards than just George's. As collectors, it is sort of drilled into us that "this is the one you want" regarding that card. I don't have one, but I certainly could have afforded one based on how much I spent on the cards in my collection. I get more enjoyment out of the cards I already own than I would a '52 Mantle. Not saying I wouldn't like to own one one day, but for now, it's not my "holy grail."

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
Mine currenty resides in a bank safety deposit box:

mantle.JPG

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
George_Calfas said:
Yes, a poor copy is locked away at the bank.
You know I never understood why people lock away valuable cards in a bank? Yes I know that they are very valuable.. But aren't there other ways to protect them while at the same time being able to keep them on display? Just my thoughts on that... Congrats on owning one though!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The story behind the Mantle is what makes the card so great, and while I would love to own one, it's not my grail of cards, in fact, it's not even the one i'd choose first from that set.

I'd take the Eddie Matthews over Mantle (for collecting purposes, not selling).

I'd also take a Satchel Paige RC over the Mantle.

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to have the card because of it's history and what it means to the hobby, but there are pieces i'd rather have first.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
Liberate Baltimore said:
In my current job, I've handled probably 30-40 1952 Topps #311 Mantle cards. I will completely divulge that I think it's an overrated card, but understand why people like it.

James
Your a Grader? Why do you think it's overrated?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
benmoss84 said:
George_Calfas said:
You know I never understood why people lock away valuable cards in a bank?

For the same reason most sane people don't leave $5000 cash laying around their house

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
benmoss84 said:
Liberate Baltimore said:
In my current job, I've handled probably 30-40 1952 Topps #311 Mantle cards. I will completely divulge that I think it's an overrated card, but understand why people like it.

James
Your a Grader? Why do you think it's overrated?

Hello there,

I actually make my living in the auction industry. I am currently the Head Writer for Huggins & Scott Auctions in Silver Spring, Maryland. Reasons I think the card is overrated.

1.) It is NOT a rookie card. Just because some hobby magazine or grading company or anyone else perpetuates a mis-truth does not make it so. The #311 Mantle high number was released almost 16 months after Mantle's major league debut. The 1951 Bowman, 1952 Berk Ross and even the 1952 Bowman were released to the public earlier.

2.) Although 1952 Topps high numbers are relatively tough, there is still plenty of them to go around. Added to the fact that Mantle was a double print in the high series.

3.) As a previous poster alluded to, this card is drilled into hobbyists as one of the most important cards ever. Says who? Mickey Mantle fans? Yankees fans? The same notion is drilled into us about the T206 Wagner.....and that is not even Wagner's toughest tobacco card!

Those are my main reasons. However, I think the hobby's love of the 1952 Topps set, the ill-conceived notion that it's Mantle's rookie card (sorry, neither is the 1986-87 Fleer Jordan) and the New York ardor for Mantle has fueled this.

James

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
benmoss84 said:
George_Calfas said:

For the same reason most sane people don't leave $5000 cash laying around their house
wow get a life dude... Your like obsessed with me.. Pretty pathetic seriously.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
@ Libertare Baltimore... Yeah I hear you! Who sets these "rules" about what's an "important" card and what's not? Yes I too would love a '52 Mantle but I know it's not his rookie! And while the same may be correct on the Jordan Fleer too ( I say maybe because the 84 Star wasn't nationally distributed) I still consider it his rookie though because it is an overall MUCH nicer card in all areas! I think the Mantle 52 Topps gets consideration because the picture and color is iconic! I just think everything in the hobby is a matter of opinion!

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
benmoss84 said:
JoshHamilton said:
benmoss84 said:
George_Calfas said:

JoshHamilton is obsessed with a lot of people, but you're not one of them. I think this was a perfectly reasonable answer to your question.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
mudflap02 said:
benmoss84 said:
JoshHamilton said:
benmoss84 said:
George_Calfas said:

JoshHamilton is obsessed with a lot of people, but you're not one of them. I think this was a perfectly reasonable answer to your question.
No it wasn't.. Because he didn't quote the whole thing I wrote! And if it's a money comparison why not sell it and put ACTUAL money in the bank and actually acrew interest? I think a valuable card should be displayed somehow. And yes JoshHamilton is obsessed with my posts, he comes into every thread I make just to say something smart butt! He needs to get a life even though I know for him that's probably a hard thing to do.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
No it wasn't.. Because he didn't quote the whole thing I wrote!

OK, I'll quote your entire post if it makes you happy.

And if it's a money comparison why not sell it and put ACTUAL money in the bank and actually acrew interest? I think q valuable card should be displayed somehow.

OK, here's your response to that:

I just think everything in the hobby is a matter of opinion!

And yes JoshHamilton is obsessed with my posts, he comes into every thread I make just to say something smart butt! He needs to get a life even though I know for him that's probably a hard thing to do.

He does this to everyone. It's why we love him. And remember that before you tell someone on FCB to get a life, you yourself are posting on a baseball card message board on the internets. Something something glass houses.

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
&mud flap02... I'm not saying posting on a message board means you have no life... But since you decided to use that analogy then I guess your referring to yourself.. I meant people that have nothing better to do but to say something smart ass are the ones with no life...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
benmoss84 said:
&mud flap02... I'm not saying posting on a message board means you have no life... But you since you decided to use that analogy then U guess your referring to yourself.. I meant people that have nothing better to do but to sat something smart ass are the ones with no life...

Since you want to use that analogy:

Im guessing you are around 15 years old since you actually used the phrase "smart butt".

So, why are you on an internet message board on a saturday? Couldnt get a date?

benmoss84

Oct 30, 2010
HPC said:
benmoss84 said:
&mud flap02... I'm not saying posting on a message board means you have no life... But you since you decided to use that analogy then U guess your referring to yourself.. I meant people that have nothing better to do but to sat something smart ass are the ones with no life...

Im guessing you are around 15 years old since you actually used the phrase "smart butt".

Nope I'm at work on an iPhone and am happily engaged. You wouldn't know anything about being young would you old man? Do you even remember what being 15 feels like? No I didn't think so.. Go take a mid day nap grandpa..

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
benmoss84 said:
&mud flap02... I'm not saying posting on a message board means you have no life... But since you decided to use that analogy then I guess your referring to yourself.. I meant people that have nothing better to do but to say something smart ass are the ones with no life...

I see what you're saying, but I don't see anything smart ass in what JH said. You said that everything in the hobby is a matter of opinion, and some people choose to display their better cards (which can be a security risk,) others choose to protect them as well as possible, which is often in a bank vault.

As far as referring to myself in my comment, yeah, I was in a way referring to all of us. A good attitude to have on boards like this one is that we're all drawn to the hobby somehow. Whether we are cool or popular in real life is irrelevant. If I wanted to get tips on how to be popular, I would go to an Ed Hardy Belt Buckle board or a Spray Tan forum. I'm here because I'm interested in people's takes on baseball cards and the hobby, and in this instance, that's really all that matters here to me. I'm not going to pretend like I'm the coolest guy you'll ever meet (even though I am), but I do know a thing or two about baseball cards and the hobby in general.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
benmoss84 said:
HPC said:
benmoss84 said:

Nope I'm at work on an iPhone and am happily engaged. You wouldn't know anything about being young would you old man? Do you even remember what being 15 feels like? No I didn't think so.. Go take a mid day nap grandpa..

.That was the best you could come up with?

::facepalm::

Members online

Latest posts