Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about shipping to Canada...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
I have a buyer on ebay wanting me to open up bidding to him for an item. He lives in Canada. I NEVER ship anywhere outside the US. I'm curious if someone can give me pointers on which service to use(meaning, usps first class, usps priority etc). I'm sure there are many here that ship to Canada regularly but I've only done it 3 times(2 of which I ended up having to give them their money back AND I never got the card(s) back). Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
orion9578 said:
I have a buyer on ebay wanting me to open up bidding to him for an item. He lives in Canada. I NEVER ship anywhere outside the US. I'm curious if someone can give me pointers on which service to use(meaning, usps first class, usps priority etc). I'm sure there are many here that ship to Canada regularly but I've only done it 3 times(2 of which I ended up having to give them their money back AND I never got the card(s) back). Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

What type of a price on the card are we talking about? Is it a high end card or a low value card.

You can ship international now with tracking via USPS.. It migth cost a little more, but if the card is a higher value.. I would use it..

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Those goofs that burned you make it harder for us honest Canadians.

If it's high end make him pay for insurance/tracking.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
gvsu96 said:
Flat rate priority envelope is like $10.70. Easiest and mist likely the cheapest.

Priority flat rate envelope and small flat rate box do NOT have tracking outside the US (says so on the USPS page for Priority Mail Intl services).

The regular Priority International service does have tracking, but cost starts at $20. If the guy wants the card that bad, charge him $20 shipping and use Priority Intl (the regular, not the cheap flat rate services).

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
Thanks for the replies. It's not an expensive card(around 50 bucks). What are anyone's thoughts on sending first class international with certificate of mailing? The website says it'd only be like $3.00 for the postage.

PeteD said:
Those goofs that burned you make it harder for us honest Canadians.

That's exactly what I told him. I'm actually half Canadian(my dad/his family are from/live in Calgary). I've sent things to my sisters and they've always got them. That's what I always thought it was weird that 2 out of 3 times I sent cards, they magically vanish ;).

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I ship to Canada what seems like twice a week.
I send first class mail and I fill out a customs sticker.
They stamp your customs sheet at the PO so you have proof that you sent it.
It ends up being less than $2

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Registered Mail is the way to go shipping higher-dollar things to Canada. It includes tracking and is about $13. Make the buyer pay for the shipping.

I ship lower-dollar things to Canada via regular first-class all the time as I sell a lot of hockey stuff and have only had one issue with a missing item, and considering the guy was cool in talking with me about the issue and actually communicating, I consider it was a legitimate lost item, since most scammers won't bother communicating with you, but rather just filing a claim.

If it's high end, I charge $13 for Registered Mail and it shows delivery I believe.

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
What Sly said below is in my opinion the best way to cover yourself against a chargeback as Registered Mail is signed for at every stop and can be tracked online. I charge $15 to ship outside the US for anything over $20 and while I may lose out on a few non-US bidders, its worth it to know that I wont be charged back. In 12 years of selling on Ebay I have had 4 cards not show up. All 4 were to Canada and sent regular 1st Class Mail.

Sly said:
Registered Mail is the way to go shipping higher-dollar things to Canada. It includes tracking and is about $13. Make the buyer pay for the shipping.

I ship lower-dollar things to Canada via regular first-class all the time as I sell a lot of hockey stuff and have only had one issue with a missing item, and considering the guy was cool in talking with me about the issue and actually communicating, I consider it was a legitimate lost item, since most scammers won't bother communicating with you, but rather just filing a claim.

If it's high end, I charge $13 for Registered Mail and it shows delivery I believe.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
tooly22 said:
What Sly said below is in my opinion the best way to cover yourself against a chargeback as Registered Mail is signed for at every stop and can be tracked online. I charge $15 to ship outside the US for anything over $20 and while I may lose out on a few non-US bidders, its worth it to know that I wont be charged back. In 12 years of selling on Ebay I have had 4 cards not show up. All 4 were to Canada and sent regular 1st Class Mail.

Sly said:

True dat.

Mail from Canada to the US should have about a 98% delivery rate. There are people out there on both sides of the border that take advantage of no tracking.

Definitely tell the guy you'll open up shipping, but it'll cost almost $20. A lot of people will splurge on the extra shipping.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I live in a border town and know guys who have US shipping addresses. I just don't have the volume of auctions to justify the hassle yet.

Members online

Latest posts