Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: had a tour of the Post Ofice today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
As an official part of my job, my team toured the local PO distribution center today. 2 things...

1. I will never send a card in a PWE unless I just don't care about it. Those machine are just ACHING to screw up an envelope with something inside.

2. The cost of postage has risen almost entirely from 2001 b/c of the Anthrax scare. It goes up now and then b/c of gas, but there is A LOT of money being used on bio-protection; and it all has to coem from postage stamps/services.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
Interesting to know.Whats the deal with the pwe thing?

I just saw the envelopes (which are sorted seperately away from flat mail like mags and from packages), and they are shot thru machines that search and sort for this and that. When we put cards in toploaders into those envelopes, they can seriously foul up the machines and are just asking to get tore into.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
predatorkj said:

I just saw the envelopes (which are sorted seperately away from flat mail like mags and from packages), and they are shot thru machines that search and sort for this and that. When we put cards in toploaders into those envelopes, they can seriously foul up the machines and are just asking to get tore into.

Yikes.Its a wonder out of all of the pwe's I have gotten over the last couple of years I have never had a problem.We are talking thousands of them too!

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
hive17 said:
predatorkj said:

Yikes.Its a wonder out of all of the pwe's I have gotten over the last couple of years I have never had a problem.We are talking thousands of them too!

you can probably see the effect on all those envelopes though. Very faint (sometimes very dark) press marks from shooting thru the sorters. The real wonder is that the toploaders don't snap from getting bent (it's not always a straight line.)

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Class is in session:
[youtube:3fo05f1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFtalTNzKk[/youtube:3fo05f1o]
[youtube:3fo05f1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cmMZ3Z8Q8[/youtube:3fo05f1o]

I don't ship in pwe's. I ship in fwe's.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
MattinglyAlexander said:
Class is in session:
[youtube:3mraywa6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFtalTNzKk[/youtube:3mraywa6]
[youtube:3mraywa6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cmMZ3Z8Q8[/youtube:3mraywa6]

I don't ship in pwe's. I ship in fwe's.

I like the job security part! ;)

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
What is an fwe?

And while I could see one of those destroying an envelope, it seems like it would be a somewhat uncommon occurrence. That said, sending a pwe is asking for trouble.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Back in the '90s the company I worked for did a lot of contract work for one of the companies that developed and manufactured that high-speed sortation equipment. I got to see a lot of the equipment first-hand and it completely changed the way I've looked at the mail since then. I would never send a card in a plain white envelope under any circumstances.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Billy Packer said:
Back in the '90s the company I worked for did a lot of contract work for one of the companies that developed and manufactured that high-speed sortation equipment. I got to see a lot of the equipment first-hand and it completely changed the way I've looked at the mail since then. I would never send a card in a plain white envelope under any circumstances.

Yeah but how many bills do you pay via mail?I mean...they can't be that darn bad.I know I stand to lose a lot more money by checks going missing than I do by my cards getting screwed up.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
dont suppose my 2 elite fowler die cut autos were lying around anywhere were they? :(