Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tigers sign Benoit (3 yrs @ $16.5 million)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Re: Tigers sign Benoit

Lot of money for a middle reliever. Luckily, Detroit has a lot to work with. Definitely needed some bullpen help though. Now if they would just pick up an impact bat.

braden

Aug 7, 2008

Joshua.Roundtree said:
Jaypers said:
Frees up a spot for McGee.

And makes the team worse in the process.

No kidding. It's not like Benoit was some warm body. He had an outstanding season. Between losing him and Soriano (assuming), the Rays 'pen is going to be decimated.

People around here are much too quick to just slot Prospect A in for a departing veteran. I've seen many posts brushing aside the loss of Crawford because Jennings is waiting in the wings.

McGee is incredibly unlikely to perform anywhere close to Benoit's 2010 level.

That said, the Tigers are taking quite the risk here. Three years to a reliever is iffy to begin with and combine it with Benoit's age and injury history and they're unlikely to get full value.

DetroitTigers

Aug 19, 2008
Canada

1.34 ERA, 30 hits, 75 strikeouts in 60.1 innings for 5.5 million a year sounds great to me. I don't think he will repeat that kind of season but he still will be a great addition to the bullpen.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL

braden said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Jaypers said:
Frees up a spot for McGee.

And makes the team worse in the process.

No kidding. It's not like Benoit was some warm body. He had an outstanding season. Between losing him and Soriano (assuming), the Rays 'pen is going to be decimated.

People around here are much too quick to just slot Prospect A in for a departing veteran. I've seen many posts brushing aside the loss of Crawford because Jennings is waiting in the wings.

McGee is incredibly unlikely to perform anywhere close to Benoit's 2010 level.

That said, the Tigers are taking quite the risk here. Three years to a reliever is iffy to begin with and combine it with Benoit's age and injury history and they're unlikely to get full value.

No kidding. The Rays lose too much this year to compete. Word around here is they are shopping Matt Garza as well because they don't want to pay his arbitration after his Super-2 year. New slogan for the 2011 team.......Come out to the Trop to see Evan Longoria and his supporting cast.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY

I hate this move. Overpaying for the 8th inning? Really? why not save the money and bring up a young guy and get him some innings in the bigs then use the money else where. Its being reported that they are close to signing Dunn and have a great shot at Crawford. I wish they didnt waste 16 mil. on a guy that has only thrown 105 innings the last 3 years and put that money towards getting crawford in there

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
As others have said, this is too many years for a middle reliever with a big time injury history. That being said, if he stays healthy, Detroit will be a stronger team. The Rays will miss Crawford, but if they can piece together a bullpen and the lineup performs better they can still have a nice year because their pitching will be so strong.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010

bondofan38 said:
I hate this move. Overpaying for the 8th inning? Really? why not save the money and bring up a young guy and get him some innings in the bigs then use the money else where. Its being reported that they are close to signing Dunn and have a great shot at Crawford. I wish they didnt waste 16 mil. on a guy that has only thrown 105 innings the last 3 years and put that money towards getting crawford in there

I am a Tigers fan, and I am not sure if I like this deal or not.

However, before you start knocking the deal-you have to realize this deal may not affect the signing of other guys. I haven't heard an exact figure the Tigers have to spend, so who knows if it affects them going after Crawford.

Remember, Brandon Lyon got a very similar contract from the Astros last year, if I remember correctly.

My gut is telling me Benoit is a $3-$3.5 M per year guy.

Members online

Latest posts