Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA TIGERS Top Ten List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Jacob Turner
2. Castellanos
3. Andy Oliver
4. Francisco Martinez
5. Daniel Fields
6. Casey Crosby
7.Chance Ruffin
8. Drew Smyly
9. Avisail Garcia
10. Jose Ortega

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Castellanos
Best Power Hitter Castellanos
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Jaime Johnson
Fastest Baserunner Gustavo Nunez
Best Athlete Daniel Fields
Best Fastball Jose Ortega
Best Curveball Turner
Best Slider Ruffin
Best Changeup Turner
Best Control Adam Wilk
Best Defensive Catcher Bryan Holaday
Best Defensive Infielder Cale Iorg
Best Infield Arm Castellanos
Best Defensive Outfielder Andy Dirks
Best Outfield Arm Casper Wells

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Catcher Avila
First Base Miggy
Second Base Scott Sizemore
Shortstop Peralta
Third Base Castellanos
Left Field Boesch
Center Field Austin Jackson
Right Field Daniel Fields
Designated Hitter Francisco Martinez
No. 1 Starter Verlander
No. 2 Starter Turner
No. 3 Starter Scherzer
No. 4 Starter Porcello
No. 5 Starter Oliver
Closer Ryan Perry

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Exposfan said:
2. Castellanos

BEST
TOOLS

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Third Base Castellanos

:mrgreen:

Interesting how Fields jumped up a few spots since last year, even though his first pro season was considered mediocre by most people's standards.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
sheetskout said:
Porcello at #4 in the future rotation?

Uh? He has WAY bigger upside than Turner and Scherzer IMO.

Yeah no kidding.

Castellanos as the top power hitter made me audibly chuckle too. He's gonna be a good hitter but there's no way he is the top power threat in the system. Not even close.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Jaypers said:
Exposfan said:
2. Castellanos

BEST
TOOLS

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Third Base Castellanos

Interesting how Fields jumped up a few spots since last year, even though his first pro season was considered mediocre by most people's standards.

It would have been mediocre if he played short season ball......he played a full season of High-A. Fields was the only 2009 High School Draftee that played the entire season at High-A. Castellanos might get the same oppurtunity in 2011.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Jaypers said:
Exposfan said:
2. Castellanos

BEST
TOOLS

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Third Base Castellanos

It would have been mediocre if he played short season ball......he played a full season of High-A. Fields was the only 2009 High School Draftee that played the entire season at High-A. Castellanos might get the same oppurtunity in 2011.

Yeah, this ^^. Which, I know Jaypers knew, but it is why his numbers aren't jumping out at anyone.

Personally, I still think the Tigers made a mistake keeping him at High A. He was in extended ST, and someone was moved up, creating a spot on the roster-so they added him to Lakeland to play a few games, and he ends up staying all year. I think the natural progression of playing at Low A, then High A would have been best, but we will see.

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
From people that have seen him play, is Castellanos all he is cracked up to be? AL only keeper draft on the horizon...Took Ackley Drabek and Bell with first three picks last year, held over Hellickson, Montero, Smoak, Arrieta from year before. About to long term Montero at .50 to 1.50 for 5 years before he's even played an inning. Might be $20 mistake. 2 catcher Al league though and I have Mauer at 2.50 at yr 3 (injury price) and Arencibia year 2 at .20 (last rnd reserve pick last year after throwing back from year before for 1.00).

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
Hollywood said:
From people that have seen him play, is Castellanos all he is cracked up to be? AL only keeper draft on the horizon...Took Ackley Drabek and Bell with first three picks last year, held over Hellickson, Montero, Smoak, Arrieta from year before. About to long term Montero at .50 to 1.50 for 5 years before he's even played an inning. Might be $20 mistake. 2 catcher Al league though and I have Mauer at 2.50 at yr 3 (injury price) and Arencibia year 2 at .20 (last rnd reserve pick last year after throwing back from year before for 1.00).

What?!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
From what I've read - his ability to strike out hitters is the biggest question mark about predicting his future success.

sheetskout said:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Lars said:
From what I've read - his ability to strike out hitters is the biggest question mark about predicting his future success.

sheetskout said:

Yeah he probably won't ever be a big K guy. I think he will progressively add more each year as he becomes a more polished pitcher (remember, he's still just 21 and already has two seasons under his belt). But he was on fire down the stretch...I think he won 5 of his last 6 starts or something like that, pitching very well in each. His sinker will continue to get easy groundballs and double plays, and I think eventually he will be one of the top 10 or 20 pitchers in the AL as his secondary stuff continues to progress.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010

what are you trying to say....

an i laughed when seein Peralta as the starting SS any one else. I really do like Andrew Oliver an hope that they give him the time he needs to develop but this is Detroit an we dont do that. He could be special a lefty with a high 90's fastball. played in the Majors in his first year in the league. His numbers were not great but less the a year ago he was on a college campus. The kid will be good an has skills

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
t3dudek said:

an i laughed when seein Peralta as the starting SS any one else. I really do like Andrew Oliver an hope that they give him the time he needs to develop but this is Detroit an we dont do that. He could be special a lefty with a high 90's fastball. played in the Majors in his first year in the league. His numbers were not great but less the a year ago he was on a college campus. The kid will be good an has skills

I think Oliver is Detroit's most intriguing prospect. He will either be a boom or bust - no in between. His mechanics are so smooth and he appears polished. But he couldn't locate his fastball to save his life when he made his 4 starts for Detroit last year. If he can locate his fastball and get his secondary pitches over with any kind of frequency, Oliver will be filthy.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
archiebunkerjr said:
t3dudek said:

I think Oliver is Detroit's most intriguing prospect. He will either be a boom or bust - no in between. His mechanics are so smooth and he appears polished. But he couldn't locate his fastball to save his life when he made his 4 starts for Detroit last year. If he can locate his fastball and get his secondary pitches over with any kind of frequency, Oliver will be filthy.

I'm a big fan of Oliver as well. He's got a great arm from the left side. His cards are a bargain right now too!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
archiebunkerjr said:

I'm a big fan of Oliver as well. He's got a great arm from the left side. His cards are a bargain right now too!

Oliver2.jpg

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Just the fact they even have Porcello at #4 shows how stacked potentially their rotation might become. The odd thing is people seem to be giving up on Porcello even though he's only 21. He's already better than the average #4. Give him 6 more years and I can't see him not being at least a #2 level starter.

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
Just trying to say I'm trying to order prospects now for al only keeper draft so I don't forget names, sleepers. I've killed the reserve draft the last two seasons with little to choose from. Now guys like colon machado castellanos will be available for big names of prospects that won't be retained from year before.. Which is more than the last couple years. Heard nothing but good qbout castellanos but don't have any knowledge on him being good enough to be worth a first round pick in a reserve draft. I've never followed him. Can keep players 3 to 5 years and I'm loaded with montero ackley hellickson revere smoak drabek bell arencibia arrieta rzepczynski all in last two years for cheap. One more good year and the future dynasty shaping up nicely.

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
archiebunkerjr said:
t3dudek said:

I don't think Oliver will pan out IMO. I have watched him many times in person in Toledo, and he does not have a developed breaking pitch. He couldn't control his fastball when I saw him. His college numbers weren't impressing. He would be a #4-#5 prospect on other teams IMO.

Members online