Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Okay, a very disappointing pick up thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Not pictured a Michael Main sterling refractor, a Derek Holland Xfractor

fd33_1.jpg
!BKK!ovw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBJY(nw8h8!~~_1.jpg
6dd5_1.jpg
5d63_1.jpg
15ea_1.jpg
My second Orange
FreddieFreemanAflac.jpg

My second Aflac

And finally the disappointing part. I was lucky enough to land the very first copy to hit ebay since it was a 1 day auction, but have been outsniped by Wossa on every other copy since except 1. I have increased my bid each time. He just outsniped me the 5th time. Grrrrrrrrrr :twisted: :twisted:

3011_1.jpg

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
great pickups!

if you can't beat him, dont even bid because if you drive up the prices and lose to him, the next person who sees the completed auction will just put a higher bin/bo making it tougher on your wallet....there are still more out there so be patient

dave

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Holland woot! Funny story on that orange I offered $120 the seller countered with $150, I declined, and then he accepted your offer of $115 a few days later :lol: Congrats!

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
Sucks about the Strasburgs, and on that note, i have a TON of friends who go to SDSU, they play football next to the baseball field and see him practice all the time. :shock:

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Zambrano38 said:
Holland woot! Funny story on that orange I offered $120 the seller countered with $150, I declined, and then he accepted your offer of $115 a few days later :lol: Congrats!

I offered $110 first, then he countered with $150, then I countered with $115 saying that that is as high as I could go since every other Orange has been cheaper, and he accepted within minutes. I was surprised indeed!!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Seiya said:
Sucks about the Strasburgs, and on that note, i have a TON of friends who go to SDSU, they play football next to the baseball field and see him practice all the time. :shock:

That's really cool, did they say if he signs any at all?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I was going to go for some Strasburg but decided against doing so since UD is producing Strasburg in all of thier release's thus far (& soon to come USA which could be "on-card"), & I've noticed that with each new release that has him in it (as any player) the previous sell value decreases for the previous product.... Take for instance the USA Timeline edition being his "first issue" came out swinging, now you can snag em' at $45+ish (maybe cheaper, as I'm too lazy to check recent sell's)...His Sweetspot has even taken a backseat as compared to when they were first released (due to the "rare" Ultimate). Now if the USA product comes out with an "on-card" & some type of parallel to boot (given they've gained legitimacy more than ever when they included the USA stuff into thier UD series 2 product & are now adding them into "everything") these could very well warp the previous value's in comparison...The only difference "thus far" with this year's upcoming USA & last year's is that last year's guy's were exclusive's to Razor (if by any chance Razor ,or for that matter Topps or Donruss, sign these guy's to exclusive's then you'll see another huge opportunity)! If they aren't signed to exclusive deal's then it may be just like year's past (as far as potential...not saying year's past have not had potential, just not the type of potential 08's had)! Oh & GREAT stuff there man! I think you beat me on 1 or even 2 of those! :D

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
bballcardkid said:
Seiya said:

He's cool about it if you ask him after practice. Have a couple OMLB i sent too my friends to get them signed.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
bballcardkid said:
Seiya said:

Strasburg was cool with signing while on the National (college) team this summer, but by the time he was with the Olympic team his mood toward signing had changed, as he didn't really like to sign by then and avoided signing then for the most part. He also shortened his signature significantly, it's not as nice as the one he signed for the cards. I ended up with a ss ball, 2 team balls (college & olympic teams), and 6 or 7 8x10s signed by him.

By the way, awesome pickups.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
HoustonTeams4Me said:
I was going to go for some Strasburg but decided against doing so since UD is producing Strasburg in all of thier release's thus far (& soon to come USA which could be "on-card"), & I've noticed that with each new release that has him in it (as any player) the previous sell value decreases for the previous product.... Take for instance the USA Timeline edition being his "first issue" came out swinging, now you can snag em' at $45+ish (maybe cheaper, as I'm too lazy to check recent sell's)...His Sweetspot has even taken a backseat as compared to when they were first released (due to the "rare" Ultimate). Now if the USA product comes out with an "on-card" & some type of parallel to boot (given they've gained legitimacy more than ever when they included the USA stuff into thier UD series 2 product & are now adding them into "everything") these could very well warp the previous value's in comparison...The only difference "thus far" with this year's upcoming USA & last year's is that last year's guy's were exclusive's to Razor (if by any chance Razor ,or for that matter Topps or Donruss, sign these guy's to exclusive's then you'll see another huge opportunity)! If they aren't signed to exclusive deal's then it may be just like year's past (as far as potential...not saying year's past have not had potential, just not the type of potential 08's had)! Oh & GREAT stuff there man! I think you beat me on 1 or even 2 of those! :D

I understand what your saying about the USA cards in every product, but there are a few things to remember. Strasburg officially has a defined number of first year autographs. He appears in Timelines, SPA, Sweet Spot, and Ultimate Collection. The 2009 USA Team Set autographs are second year cards in my opinion, and shouldn't garner as much attention nor affect the first year price. Secondly, these cards were released in "accredited" (for a lack of a better term) products. A USA Team Set autograph of a player is not as highly regarded as an SP Authentic Autograph, much less an Ultimate Collection Autograph (just look at Matt Purke 08 USA Team Set Autographs and parallels vs. 08 SPA Autographs and parallels). Thirdly, it is Ultimate Collection, and he only has 25 total cards throughout the entire print run. I just can't see the boxed team cards coming remotely close to these cards. If I'm not mistaken they are even priced in the minor league section of Beckett, or at least last time I checked. I havn't looked at a Beckett in a while :)

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
bballcardkid said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

I understand what your saying about the USA cards in every product, but there are a few things to remember. Strasburg officially has a defined number of first year autographs. He appears in Timelines, SPA, Sweet Spot, and Ultimate Collection. The 2009 USA Team Set autographs are second year cards in my opinion, and shouldn't garner as much attention nor affect the first year price. Secondly, these cards were released in "accredited" (for a lack of a better term) products. A USA Team Set autograph of a player is not as highly regarded as an SP Authentic Autograph, much less an Ultimate Collection Autograph (just look at Matt Purke 08 USA Team Set Autographs and parallels vs. 08 SPA Autographs and parallels). Thirdly, it is Ultimate Collection, and he only has 25 total cards throughout the entire print run. I just can't see the boxed team cards coming remotely close to these cards. If I'm not mistaken they are even priced in the minor league section of Beckett, or at least last time I checked. I havn't looked at a Beckett in a while :)

While you are correct with many of your points, you obviously justified paying several hundred (or close to it) for a USA card although past USA card's of player's who are now stars barely garner this much money... It's showing that these USA card's are becoming more & more accepted/respected in our hobby & with this past year's showing (& future increase in value once player's begin to perform), who's to say that this year's USA's sets don't come out & receive more interest from our hobby? You can't say it won't happen because I'm sure last year you would have laughed at dropping the amount of coin you just did on a USA card (whether it be Ultimate or not). All I'm working off here is what I've seen from the market with Strasburg (& many other player's) thus far, when the next "new" product comes out the previous product is old news & normally sells like it (given the exception of B.Chrome)...I'm not knocking Strasburg or the fact that it is a GREAT card, I'm just stating my stance that it's not the best time to buy when it's new & the "craze" is going on (albeit is only #d/25 but I do not think this will hold the current sell value given future product is on it's way very soon that will revolve around "said" player).

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
HoustonTeams4Me said:
bballcardkid said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

While you are correct with many of your points, you obviously justified paying several hundred (or close to it) for a USA card although past USA card's of player's who are now stars barely garner this much money... It's showing that these USA card's are becoming more & more accepted/respected in our hobby & with this past year's showing (& future increase in value once player's begin to perform), who's to say that this year's USA's sets don't come out & receive more interest from our hobby? You can't say it won't happen because I'm sure last year you would have laughed at dropping the amount of coin you just did on a USA card (whether it be Ultimate or not). All I'm working off here is what I've seen from the market with Strasburg (& many other player's) thus far, when the next "new" product comes out the previous product is old news & normally sells like it (given the exception of B.Chrome)...I'm not knocking Strasburg or the fact that it is a GREAT card, I'm just stating my stance that it's not the best time to buy when it's new & the "craze" is going on (albeit is only #d/25 but I do not think this will hold the current sell value given future product is on it's way very soon that will revolve around "said" player).

I know you have no mal intentions. None taken :D . I'm just saying it's like comparing a minor league card to a big league card. Sure these Team Set cards get attention, but no where near the attention of a big league card. I'm not just saying the Ultimate is a big league card, I'm saying all 4 products are. I've said that before the first one came out (SPA) and since the prices of those cards have tripled to quadrupled, litterally. In fact some of the auto'd patches /50 from SPA are selling more than the green autos of their USA counterparts which are numbered to 2 and 10. I just don't see the same attention being given to the team set card.

Uofo2212

Aug 8, 2008
Either way, UD is taking the Donruss route and flooding the market with all these USA cards. The USA sets won't come near the popularity of last years, as last year was the "first" on card auto's and was loaded to boot. The USA set will drop this year no matter how hard it is pushed.....cards that are inserted into mainstream products always garner more legitimacy than boxed sets. People will have had their fill somewhat of USA cards by the time the 09' sets are out. Almost aanyone would rather have a Strasburg in an 08' product than a 09' boxed USA set, hands down.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Definitely no ill will towards you at all BBcardkid! :D My point was more for the long haul of keeping sell value (& I'm sure you won't have it that long so my whole previously written out post is pretty much irrelevant in your situation, but I wasn't writing towards you so much as I was writing out my train of thought for why "I" am not buying into Strasburg at the moment) as I don't see these being considered a "rc" as much as being considered a xrc insert type, it's going to be considered a USA version whether it be in Ultimate or the USA boxed set's. I too do not use a Beckett & do not go by thier train of thought of what is a rc, a minor league set, or an insert & not a rc (yada, yada, yada) but the majority of the hobby probably does & therefore it must be taken into consideration. "The" Strasburg to have will be the one that is in a base set, not an inserted USA version, unless of course he is nailed to an "exclusive" contract & therefore will be limited to how many product's he's in. Anyhow, my own personal thoughts on this are that these will be had for cheaper than the current going rate (& in the near future). It doesn't take away from the fact that it is a GREAT card, I just have held off on buying Strasburg because of what UD is doing (it could be a poor decision if he gets quickly scooped as an "exclusive" as then all of these USA UD's will see a frenzy type upward increase as people scurry to grab em'). On a somewhat different note, is the state of USA Olympic baseball over? If so, that will suck (as we will no longer have UD USA to enjoy)!!! I had heard the Olympics were doing away with several events, one of them being softball (& then I heard if women's softball goes that men's baseball does too)... UGH! :? :x Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.....

Uofo2212

Aug 8, 2008
Olympic Baseball and Softball are done....although there was rumor that it would try to come back again as a exhibition.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Uofo2212 said:
Olympic Baseball and Softball are done....although there was rumor that it would try to come back again as a exhibition.

Maybe this is another reason that UD is "pumping" out the USA product in all of it's product's this year..?.. This really sucks for UD but is great for Topps, as now UD no longer has the rights to produce the highschool kids (maybe I misunderstood the relevance of thier contract with USA baseball but it is my understanding that they are only allowed to produce item's of these highschooler's & college player's due to them being on Team USA & without the Olympics there are regulation's that prohibit those young player's from entering into any type of commissioned contract- where they receive $$$...I may be totally off on this(?). On a different note, are the AFLAC games still going to be continued (as I heard somewhere that they too were coming to an end)? Thanks for the answer though bud! :D

Uofo2212

Aug 8, 2008
I believe there will still be a Team USA due to North and South American games like Pan-Am...etc. That Aflac question you brought up though is the first I have heard of that, great question. Anyone have any intel on that? That would be a blow though as I went to the last one and really enjoyed watching the game. You are right, Topps must be licking their chops, and that would be reason enough for UD to get the most cards out of those players if Team USA is done. I hope that doesn't happen as well......

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm surprised UD didn't do this USA mainstream card earlier. They can't produce cards of prospects so they have no chance at tapping into that segment of the hobby, and this was their only chance to do it by releasing these mainstream USA cards, yet they only did it one year. Oh well, hopefully if there is still a Junior National Team in the years to come, they will keep doing the same thing.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
bballcardkid said:
I'm surprised UD didn't do this USA mainstream card earlier. They can't produce cards of prospects so they have no chance at tapping into that segment of the hobby, and this was their only chance to do it by releasing these mainstream USA cards, yet they only did it one year. Oh well, hopefully if there is still a Junior National Team in the years to come, they will keep doing the same thing.

This is what I've been wondering as this was pretty brilliant as it gains exposure for the sets, so it is a "win-win" for UD...not sure but maybe they didn't think the hobby would take to the USA stuff (boy were they wrong...look at some of the price's- heck I just sold my patches for alot more than I was asking several weeks ago-I'm so glad no one hit the "BIN" on my USA Patch/Jrsy lot)! :D

Members online