Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

cubs and rangers talking possible trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
They're saying the cubs are waiting to see what happens with Adrian Gonzalez but if that falls through they are talking about a trade with the Rangers

Cubs get Chris Davis

Rangers get one of the Cubs C prospects either Castillo or Chirinos

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think its a bad idea at all. Davis is young and has great power I think he would be a good fit

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Davis needs a change of scenery. He just reminds me too much of Phil Hiatt ...

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ThoseBackPages said:
James52411 said:
Cubs likely won't contend this year
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it's going to be a couple of years. lol It looks like their MiLB system is finally producing legit talent so hopefully in a couple of years they'll be ready to contend.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I don't know much about the Cubs catchers(stats didn't impress at all) but I am a fan of Chris Davis. He has monster power and plays a great 1b. Big arm and very athletic around the bag. He can play a slightly below average 3b as well. His defense was more impressive than Smoak who had the better defensive reputation. The last 2 years he has had no clue with the bat. You could the frustration in his face when he was at the plate. The Rangers would send him down, he would terrorize AAA and reports would come in that he had figured it out. As soon he was back in Arlington, he looked like somebody who was in way over his head at the plate. He is from a nearby town and the people I know that know him say that he is a solid kid. I know he doesn't have much value left and the Rangers legitimate catching prospects are all at least 3-4 years away. A change in scenery is probably the best thing for him.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Before I chime in I'll admit I'm biased. I'm a huge Davis fan but... this is a no brainer for the Cubs.

Davis is an incredible defensive first baseman. Chris Davis has the potential to be a monster swinging the bat. His first month in the league he destroyed the ball. I think Davis's struggles has been mental. It has always been known that Davis was on a short leash b/c of Smoak behind him. I think Texas mis-managed a monster offensive talent and a change of scene will allow Davis to regain his confidence. The cubs get an huge amount of potential upside and at the very least a lock down Golden Glove potential first baseman.

The Rangers have shown they have no faith in Davis and currently have no immediate MLB ready catching Prospects.

Make the trade.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Sweetness said:
Before I chime in I'll admit I'm biased. I'm a huge Davis fan but... this is a no brainer for the Cubs.

Davis is an incredible defensive first baseman. Chris Davis has the potential to be a monster swinging the bat. His first month in the league he destroyed the ball. I think Davis's struggles has been mental. It has always been known that Davis was on a short leash b/c of Smoak behind him. I think Texas mis-managed a monster offensive talent and a change of scene will allow Davis to regain his confidence. The cubs get an huge amount of potential upside and at the very least a lock down Golden Glove potential first baseman.

The Rangers have shown they have no faith in Davis and currently have no immediate MLB ready catching Prospects.

Make the trade.

I agree I hope this trade happens I would love to see Davis on the Cubs

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I am fine with this. Davis is crap (said the same thing about smoak) and Mitch moreland is better than both combined. I am all about getting rid of him.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Sweetness said:

Even as a Davis fan, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Davis has been giving more than enough chances to figure it out with the Rangers.
He was tearing it up in the minors before his first call up in 08 and produced when they gave him the 1b job.
He had the 1b job starting in 09 and was absolutely brutal. He kept the job until July even though he was striking out almost once out of every 2 AB's. When he come back up in September he was given the job again and he played decently.
He had the starting gig in 2010 and guess what? He was horrible. They sent him down because Smoak was thought to be ready and they felt they had a winning team if they could get some kind of offense out of 1b. They were wrong about Smoak but right about the team.
Smoak was traded and guess who was brought back up and again handed the 1b job? Davis! He rewarded the Rangers faith in him by hitting .189 in July. That is when they brought Moreland up and traded for Cantu.
Smoak wasn't really on the Rangers radar in the 08 draft. They thought he would go before they drafted at #11. They felt he was too big of a bargain to pass up.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I have doubts about Davis, but if the Cubs can get him cheap it is worth a shot. Some guys like Derrek Lee and Paul Konerko take longer to develop.

Members online

Latest posts