Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Re: Interesting win for a rookie I have never seen before

No, but thats a cool card!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

hofautos said:
Interesting win for a rookie I have never seen before
Robinson's rookie card is actually from a year earlier, the 1947 Bond Bread set.
Besides the card below, he has a couple of other cards from the set in action poses.

20100703-234647-pic-510366003_t300.jpg

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Austin said:
hofautos said:
Robinson's rookie card is actually from a year earlier, the 1947 Bond Bread set.
Besides the card below, he has a couple of other cards from the set in action poses.

THanks for the info. I usually like to think of the Leaf as his rookie, and always looking to upgrade mine... I have heard of the bond bread, but never saw it before, so thanks for sharing!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

I've never seen nor heard about that Old Gold card. What'd it cost you?

If fkw sees this thread, he can give you a 10 page dissertation on its origin. He knows a LOT about vintage

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

hofautos said:
Austin said:
hofautos said:

Thanks for the info. I usually like to think of the Leaf as his rookie, and always looking to upgrade mine... I have heard of the bond bread, but never saw it before, so thanks for sharing!
You're welcome.
Technically, the '48-'49 Leaf Robinson is generally regarded as his rookie card, since it was sold in wax packs.
But the '47 Bond Bread is his first national card showing him in a Major League uniform.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

JoshHamilton said:

I overpaid...I checked on the PSA boards to check VCP for me...A PSA 4 sold for $295, and I paid $271 for this one, although it is a very nice looking 2.
A 1.5 sold for $150
A 3 sold for $121...must have been ugly, or maybe just date dependent. I asked for sale dates, but haven't got a response yet.
Either way, I search for 1948 jackie robinson regularly, and haven't ever seen this card before.
I also searched completed, and didn't see any, so they must not come by very often.

Times like this is where a VCP subscription would come in handy.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas

hofautos said:
JoshHamilton said:

I overpaid...I checked on the PSA boards to check VCP for me...A PSA 4 sold for $295, and I paid $271 for this one
You didn't overpay because you're happy with it and it's an extremely rare, early Robinson card.
It blows my mind that a beauty like that of a legend can be had for cheaper than what so many modern Bowman Chrome cards are going for.
Hmmmm. An extremely rare 1948 Jackie Robinson card, or a 2009 Bowman Chrome Gold of a minor league player who might become a starter in the Majors.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

wickedliquids

Feb 4, 2010
That's an Old Gold postcard size ad card. I have one as well that I found in an antique shop in Berkeley under a stack of other old postcards, early last year, I think around April of '09.

I paid $4 for it. Haven't had it graded yet though. I'll scan my copy up here later :)

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
It's good that card is graded. These are frequently faked and found at antique shops. The 1948 Old Gold Jackie Robinson is postcard sized, but technically not a postcard. Was distributed as part of a promotional campaign in the New York area. Uncertain if it was actually included in bags of the product or as a counter giveaway. In that condition, those usually sell for 200-250. I've handled approximately 10-15 of them. Nice card.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
hofautos said:
Anyone seen these before?

My dad used to smoke "Old Gold"
!B8mhN1!BWk~$(KGrHqN,!hsEzMktDk!tBM3gEjRnIQ~~_3.jpg
I have heard of Acapulco gold, but not old gold. Sweet card though.
Edit - i agree wit JH about fkw, that guy is like a vintage card encyclopedia.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Just in case anyone wants to know (and didnt read the PSA posts)..... The T-Unc. Old Gold JR cards (2 different versions) is actually from 1947 (mostlikely).
If you read the back of the card... it says he was "Born 28 years ago", and JR was born on Jan 31 1919, sooooooo..... its a 1947.

You may have overpaid a bit right now.... but it is a nice card and will go up in value as fast as the 1947 D305, once the guides and PSA get their act together and list it with the right year. It is about the same scarcity as the D305, but both would NOT be considered scarce.
Like I mentioned on the PSA board, the "Leaping" version of the card is a truly RARE card, and IMO should be valued about 5X more than the "Dugout" version.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
PS. Not to derail this post..... but thanks for the compliment. :)

Your newer cards are actually much tougher to be an "expert" on than the vintage stuff. There is so much more new stuff than vintage.... I am still lost on most of the new card related questions, especially ID/value stuff :)

I originally came here a few months back after seeing the Strasburg card on eBay. I also wanted to learn more about the newer cards even though I dont collect them. Most of your posts are actually more interesting to a baseball fan/collector than some of the posts on the other boards.

My collection is not big, Leon Luckey (owner of Net54 site) sometimes comes here for a look too. Now he has an awesome collection! ....and Id say it it the best ever as far as a "Type Collector" goes.
....but If I still had every card I have ever owned then it would rival some of the best ever.

Now.... I am just a poor surfer boy living offgrid on a few acres in the jungles of Hawaii :) If you saw me, you sure wouldnt think I collected cards or used to play some ball in my day (haole dreadlocked tattooed eco-friendly hippy)
I have no TV and my entertainment is all on the internet .... thus Im on every message board I can find, especially if its raining (I get 180" a yr)
:) aloha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts