Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "What Do You Want See Return/Revamped" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
We all like to complain on this board from time to time about how awful trading cards have become nowadays, but outside of improving quality control, checklists, or customer service, there aren't many suggestions for improvment to the design of the cards offered by the community. Here is your chance to tell the manufacturers, specifically Topps, since they are the only one's that matter nowadays, what you want to see revamped. Is there a popular insert set that you want to see make a return? What about a design, or even an suggestion for improving an existing product?

Here are a few of mine:

1. I'd like to see something like the 1994 Bowman's Best design overtake the normal Chrome design. It's basically Chrome with an added flair. Just seems crazy after 16-17 years of chrome-like cards, we are working our way backwards from the most beautifully designed set to the least.

!Brlbs9!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKj!EvPqKF8ZdBL0QO8hqPw~~_3.jpg

2. The first Bowman Sterling design was kind of getting back to that point, but has since gone down hill. One thing I'd like to see improved with Sterling would be the return of the white ink vertical autographs for the black refractors. These cards are insanely gorgeous IMO. If Topps wants to use bandaids, use a clear sticker with white ink on a black surface background. Blue ink just gets old after a while.

!B9b,dUgCGk~$(KGrHqUOKikEzWy3Wp5lBM5vjCDi-g~~_12.jpg

3. With the regular Bowman brand, bring back the Bowman Autograph insert set, similar to the 1997 set. This set is not, nor should it be named Signs of the Future. Just name it "Autographs," and it should consist of highly touted prospects or big leaguers with 4-5 years of experience or less. Autographs should fall once every one to two boxes. Most importantly, there needs to be an ink variation like a GOLD INK autograph parallel that is SP'd, i.e. not numbered. The 1997 Gold Ink Autos are some of the most collected autos over the past 15 years. Red ink could work, but I prefer Gold as it's rarely used.

!BmEBuJw!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEtqb5TnD)BLeMY2n3Q!~~_3.jpg
!B7)qYUwEGk~$(KGrHqR,!jQEzK+DksIPBM1MWkd,sQ~~_12.jpg
!B42bFIwCGk~$(KGrHqEOKj0EyLWK55U)BMrbJROjMw~~_12.jpg
(those old school designs just destroy what they have today)

4. While on the subject of Bowman, I want to see the return of a few insert sets that were popular in Bowman's Best that Chrome hasn't adopted (autographed versions would be a plus :cool: ). It seems as though Bowman / Chrome is all base set, prospects, and the subsequent parallels that follow. Topps did a great job adding the Topps 100 insert set this year which was a great idea. Why stop there. Add one or two additional insert sets to make the break more fun and add value at the same time. And please, bring back the original atomic refractor.

-"Bowman's Best Picks" could highlight the top 10-15 prospects included in the previous MLB Draft. This would fit in better with a Bowman Draft release. Again, autographed versions with varying 2 or 3 parallels would be a huge plus.
!B0L3)rwB2k~$(KGrHqUOKjUE)K,pWvP9BMZNp0v(Y!~~_12.jpg

-"Mirror Images," which Head of the Class was kind of modeled from, could highlight top prospects and young MLB stars with a mirrored HOFer. This set could be featured in any Bowman product.
!B)F4Yo!EWk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEwPnZw5JsBML-gHPmew~~_12.jpg

A modern version of the set could look more like this, which was recently won by a board member, and is one of the most attractive Bowman cards ever created. Autographed or not, this would be wildly popular:
!B8lfFqwCWk~$(KGrHqIOKpQEy+jCyCRJBM3c2blLOQ~~_12.jpg

-"What Should Have Been" or some other catchy phrase could describe an insert set devoted exclusively to big leaguers who do NOT have a Bowman Chrome autograph. This insert set would feature an autographed version of the players bowman chrome rookie design in a different shade of chrome, or with a different border as well as the insert names designation on the card (including card number in the insert set). Subjects could include Roy Halladay, Ichiro, Lance Berkman, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Josh Hamilton, Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, Alfonso Soriano, Adam Dunn, Roy Oswalt, BJ Upton, Ryan Howard, Corey Hart, Cole Hamels...the list goes on. This set would not be a buyback autograph set! It would be a modified autographed remake of the original Bowman Chrome card. These would be extremely limited. No less than 25 and no more than 100.

-"10 year anniversary," just thought of this one while typing out the other. Bowman SHOULD do this set as it would go NUTS. This set will highlight a slightly modified remake, an extrememly limited remake at that, of the most popular Bowman Chrome cards produced 10 years ago. Due up in 2011 Bowman? A remake of the Albert Pujols 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto. The set would have to be extremely limited, no more than 50 and no less than 25. On second thought, if these are too expensive to produce (I can't imagine they would be), why not make a non autographed version of a modern day parallel? Doing this would significantly decrease the wow factor, but would add value and be an immediate novelty set, althouth the auto would be a greater novelty set.

5. I wouldn't mind seeing the return of certain surface technologies. Someone more knowledgable about this stuff would know the precise names. These types of insert returns would probably be more popular in basketball since baseball is driven by it's paper cardstock heritage, but none the less, it would make me happy:

!B8D3mnQ!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKo4Ey+jCzINcBM1+NHnpg!~~_12.jpg

!B7HzumwEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hIEyr78l,KrBMz(g!dCRQ~~_12.jpg

!B7EzrN!!2k~$(KGrHqIOKiYEy9OK-eDLBMzMED(6Gw~~-1_12.jpg

1248_1.jpg

6. Topps Finest needs to be completely revamped back into it's old form with a mixture of the autographs and game used items that it uses today, with a focus on quality over quantity. Bring back the following:
common
!B,3RybwB2k~$(KGrHqUH-EUEqvihLyBFBKtZR7kOe!~~_12.jpg
uncommon (silver)
!Bg086iQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-DUEsJj-1lbvBLG)T6cY!Q~~_12.jpg
rare (gold)
!B7NU0owCWk~$(KGrHqZ,!mEEy+jCzGFUBMzh!BO!zw~~_12.jpg
refractor parallels of each including an embossed / die cut refractor.
!B7Smoqw!2k~$(KGrHqUOKowEy+jC1ZsBBMzw)N4j,!~~_12.jpg
!B4lJfNgCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!gwEyEZN(fQ(BMqZZiUCbg~~_12.jpg
!B7EzHMQ!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEzJ3QHtSlBMzMCBz,!Q~~-1_12.jpg
!B80ry6!BGk~$(KGrHqN,!iEEzL)e4e-YBM4E(sgM4Q~~_12.jpg
Autographed variations of all of these parallels would be undeniably popular, especially over those crappy manufactured letterman autos which I'm sure cost a fortune to produce.

7. Speaking of which, bring back more die cuts! I'm not talking about weak Panini die cuts from Donruss Elite, I'm talking crazy die cuts. But they can't be incredibly common like they were in the 90's. In order for an insert to be popularand become an industry staple in today's age, it has to be rare. Serial number these things to at most 100, but preferably 50 or less.

!B5gzwTgBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!h!Eyrou10y,BMt5w!Fsy!~~_12.jpg

!B74,vlg!mk~$(KGrHqN,!lMEy+jC0)ssBM1g74cFDg~~_12.jpg

!B7rYo8!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKnIEy0Vr5jZbBM04)YEDqg~~_12.jpg

!B7rg5ggCGk~$(KGrHqUOKjsEzJhDOSssBM05)emknQ~~_3.jpg

!Bb!zCbw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BKt-v(ensQ~~_12.jpg

8. I'd also like to see a return of the SP. Topps has done a fantastic job with it's intro level Topps release with all of the chase cards involved, but why stop there. I was a big fan of 2008 Playoffs Contenders and all of the short prints associated with that product. I don't see any reason why Topps couldn't incorporate that same chase element in some way to their Bowman lineup. It doesn't necessarily have to be Chrome, but probably a stand alone product. Bowman Heritage would be a great example if they brought it back and "did it right" (the thought of a Bowman Heritage Chrome with SP'd autographs screams success. The idea of trying to figure out which autographed prospects are limited to 149, 98, or even 39 copies ( :cool: ) sounds like a helluva lot of fun to me.

If not Bowman Heritage, which I don't see Topps making any time soon, how about base Bowman. As a matter of fact, I hope this years Bowman offering with the paper Strasburg autos just proves to everyone that a Bowman autograph can coexist with a corresponding Bowman Chrome Autograph (after all the Bowman issue is outselling the Chrome issue). This should really be a seperate number, but I'd like to see Bowman w/ Chrome completely revert back to "Bowman." All of the prospects, and all of the autographs in Bowman will have a corresponding Chrome card in Bowman Chrome later in the fall. The Bowman cards would include the SP chase element, while Chrome would just be Chrome, minus all the dud prospects Topps uses to waterdown the product between 3 different Chrome releases. But, instead of simply having just a Bowman autograph with SP's, the product would also have 4 parallels similar to 2006 (with the possibility of the base SP being more rare than a few of the parallels :cool: ). The parallels would be blue bodered /500, white bordered (or something else that everyone prefers. White may not work if the base border is white so...) /150, gold /50, and red /1. Again, by doing this, we completely eliminate the junk filler prospects and concentrate all of the resources on just 1 check list split between 2 products, one being Bowman, and the other being Chrome.

I don't buy the argument that because it works for football, it won't work in other sports. National Treasures sure worked well for basketball. Playoff Contenders sure worked well for baseball. Most industry themes are universally liked by all sports. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't have autographs and memorabilia cards predominating all 4 sports as the most collectable items.

9. Lastly, this probably isn't cost effective, neither is any of the other garble I just spit out above either, but I would love to see Topps do another HOF oriented set like Topps Retired Signatures. Reliving the wildy popular vintage designs is a novelty and all, but Topps can only do this so many times before they exhaust the lure for these remakes. Why not make a modern, HOF vintage product with a new catchy design?

I have a lot of other requests that would improve numerous products, but this is a pretty good start to a wish list, or bucket list, whichever one you prefer.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I've said it before and I'll say it again - 2000 Bowman Reserve.

Best damn looking card out there, IMO. Gorgeous photography, and no borders.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
1. work on the designs
2. Diecuts.
3. Cut back on numbered and rookie cards.
-So many cards that would have been worth more aren't worth as much, because you get a rc in every pack, at least. Cut them back a little. Same with numbered cards... each year more and more numbereds make it into each set.
4. Lower the variations and parallels
5. Cut back on inserts, autographs, and especially game used. They are all a dime a dozen now...

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Inserts that are actually valuable. Anything circa '93-'99 or so is the stuff I've been digging since they came out.

And Dufex foil.

Also, packs having more than a few cards. Every pack should have AT LEAST 8 base cards, plus w/e else. 4 cards per pack is just feeble.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'd love to see a veteran Auto set in Bowman Chrome.

They could be extras, kinda like the USA autos this year...but you could include players that never had a BC auto. Jeter, ARod, Josh Hamilton, Ichiro, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, (cough) Rick Porcello, etc. I would have to think such a set would be hugely popular.

I'm sure it'll never happen because it'd be expensive and when does Topps ever get stars to sign on-card anymore? But I think an annual set like this which includes maybe like 10-20 established stars would be a tremendous addition to the BC line and would provide some of the most appealing and widely-collected cards in recent memory.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'd love to see a veteran Auto set in Bowman Chrome.

They could be extras, kinda like the USA autos this year...but you could include players that never had a BC auto. Jeter, ARod, Josh Hamilton, Ichiro, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, (cough) Rick Porcello, etc. I would have to think such a set would be hugely popular.

I'm sure it'll never happen because it'd be expensive and when does Topps ever get stars to sign on-card anymore? But I think an annual set like this which includes maybe like 10-20 established stars would be a tremendous addition to the BC line and would provide some of the most appealing and widely-collected cards in recent memory.

Read my item #4, especially the bottom 2 insert sets for Bowman Chrome. Drool worthy if it ever happened. :D

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ostrander111 said:
TOPPS TOTAL!!!!!

Oddly enough, I like that product. It was cheap, fun to open, fun to get inserts because they weren't in every single pack, and good for TTM.

I remember the advertisement was...

Look for Barry Bonds base cards!

Now a product that states that has to be fun to open

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
TBTwinsFan said:
ostrander111 said:
TOPPS TOTAL!!!!!

Oddly enough, I like that product. It was cheap, fun to open, fun to get inserts because they weren't in every single pack, and good for TTM.

It used to be my favorite :oops:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
one more...

Bring back COMMERCIALS! The hobby is going to die if they don't get themselves out there... and I would rather see a 30 second advertisement of some kid hitting a Joe Mauer jersey card than listening to JG Wentworth and his opera.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ostrander111 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
ostrander111 said:
TOPPS TOTAL!!!!!

I can remember a trip to Wal-Mart with my mom and a 20 dollar bill, and instead of buying 5 packs of Zenith, I bought a blaster of Total and pulled like 2 (shiney) inserts. I loved it.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
great ideas, but are you still going to pay 100 bucks for a box of cards that yield 2 inserts no ink or GU? Are you
ok if the base cards look nice, but there are no hits in the box other than plain inserts? What
is going to look better to someone, a box of the new improved product selling for 100 bucks that has one
auto in it and some inserts, or a box made a few years with 4 autos in it for half the price?

.....and many of the ideas you all have were from Pinnacle, and they are long gone, that isn't going to happen.

Panini has tried to bring back some of these ideas such as crown royale, but as we saw...FAIL

Just be satisfied with what baseball has become....a few retro products, Allen & Ginter, and a bunch of chrome
stuff. Topps is not going to start producing a bunch of nice on card autos and co signers products when they
have done well with all you buying sticker garbage. Its just too late.

Kevin

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
TBTwinsFan said:
ostrander111 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
ostrander111 said:
TOPPS TOTAL!!!!!

I can remember a trip to Wal-Mart with my mom and a 20 dollar bill, and instead of buying 5 packs of Zenith, I bought a blaster of Total and pulled like 2 (shiney) inserts. I loved it.

I would walk out of the store with handfuls of single dollar packs haahaha i was stupid

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Dufex
jr1.jpg

Mirrors
jeterteam.jpg
1996_MG_Edmonds.jpg

1 Refractor type with a solid print run (ie ~250)
1993_Maddux_BGS95.jpg

1 Atomic/Xfractor type
1997_GoldEm_Gwynn.jpg

Contest card
jrwinner.jpg

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
great ideas, but are you still going to pay 100 bucks for a box of cards that yield 2 inserts no ink or GU? Are you
ok if the base cards look nice, but there are no hits in the box other than plain inserts? What
is going to look better to someone, a box of the new improved product selling for 100 bucks that has one
auto in it and some inserts, or a box made a few years with 4 autos in it for half the price?

.....and many of the ideas you all have were from Pinnacle, and they are long gone, that isn't going to happen.

Panini has tried to bring back some of these ideas such as crown royale, but as we saw...FAIL

Just be satisfied with what baseball has become....a few retro products, Allen & Ginter, and a bunch of chrome
stuff. Topps is not going to start producing a bunch of nice on card autos and co signers products when they

Kevin

+1

While some may like the idea of parallel and numbered cards being rarer, harder pulls, having greater values, it was evident from this years releases that collectors wouldnt take it. Due to overproduction, colored parallels in 2010 Bowman and Topps Chrome were tougher pulls. Many collectors were upset when there boxes/cases did not yield more color.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I would love to see production numbers decrease, making boxes and cases truly rare. If you had to spend more
per box, fine, but at least you knew you could pull rare cards..heck even the base cards and inserts would
have some value. Topps is putting the same content they put in boxes 5 years ago, but is spreading that
out to 150% more product and charging the same price.

Remember when retail autograph odds were 1:9 or 1:24? Now they aren't even close to that. Retail is not
worth buying anymore and has become so watered down that I actually feel sorry when I see the crap
stacked up 10 feet high at the walmart of target.....actually I dont' feel sorry cause the companies
have to eat that garbage back up.

There should be three catagories.

1) All the products that seemed to work at the current price....base topps, heritage, ginter, chrome
2) Collector sets, like total and stuff that kids can actually afford. Pick nice designs and offer them for a buck or
less a pack. These must stress set building.
3) Everything else should be low print run prouduct. On card autographs and some of the old school insert sets
that make investors go to the hobby shops. Lower print runs means when I open a box I might get to pull
a really low numbered card and that increases value. Reward me because I buy a few boxes every month
at my card shop, I get a chance to buy these exclusive boxes. Advertise the low print runs up front, number
the boxes too.

Just some ideas.

Kevin

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
CubsFan13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

+1

While some may like the idea of parallel and numbered cards being rarer, harder pulls, having greater values, it was evident from this years releases that collectors wouldnt take it. Due to overproduction, colored parallels in 2010 Bowman and Topps Chrome were tougher pulls. Many collectors were upset when there boxes/cases did not yield more color.

This is more directed at Schmidt than Cubsfan

Just for clarification, these ideas aren't going to remove any product or any part of a product that is already in existance (with the exception of overhauling Finest to it's original form while incorporating the same autos and game used that it uses today minus the dreaded letter autos, as well as Bowman which IMO the overhaul would not only be more cost effective but far more desirable). These are additional concepts or ideas to add value to existing products. Is adding a few insert sets here and there really going to break the bank?

Who's talking about taking away hits? Did you not read all the way through? I'm not claiming lets charge $100 for a box of parallels and inserts. I'm saying, let's charge $60 per box of Bowman Chrome with a better checklist that isn't split between 2 products, with a few additional insert sets, that I also said would go over well if auto'd (do those not count as hits?) that would make collectors go bonkers. I'm saying instead of including these crapy Topps Peak Performance insert sets, or old recycled vintage designs as insert sets, let's at least utlize something that is different, modernized, shiny, and aesthetically pleasing.

And how does adding SP'd cards not add value? Come on dude, read the whole thing through before passing a judgement.

Being "satisfied with what baseball has become" is exactly why the industry is in the piss poor shape it's in. There are actually ways to make boring hits exciting.

And Cubsfan, I completely disagree about the hobby not accepting certain parallel cards. If it's based off of a popular set, it will sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKYBOX-MICHAEL-JORD ... 3cb227ad93

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-09-Skybox-Kevin- ... 3a604a4892

It can be done.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There's little wrong with today's hobby except that its way too complicated. Besides manufactureres know they'll never satisfy many of the most serious collectors (and special interests??) no matter what they put out anyway...but most products will still sell out no matter what.

Not only do I think there should be fewer releases - particularly 'hobby-only' releases - but the number of cards any player should have per year should be capped. Pujols (or player X) having 518 cards (so far this year) doesn't seem healthy, particularly when there are players without cards. Baseball isn't only about Pujols (or player X) and neither should its cards. Plus players should be shown as a member of the team they were on the roster(s) of and no other.

But importantly, if I were a hobby outsider (or a shrink?) I'd probably ask someone frustrated about the hobby the following (in an effort from going over the same issues again and again and again...):
1) What do people - and you - expect to get out of baseball cards?
2) Do some people -and you - expect too much of pictures of men on cardboard?
3) Is it that baseball cards are lacking or is it that there's something else missing in a frustrated hobbyist's life?

Members online