Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pirates designate Zach Duke, Young, Laroche for assignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Being a Duke collector, what are your thoughts on the move ? Happy ? Sad ? Indifferent ?

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
55_marlins_sp said:
Being a Duke collector, what are your thoughts on the move ? Happy ? Sad ? Indifferent ?

I am SOOOOO excited!!! The Pirates offense is horrible and there are several games where the defense has played so horribly and that caused his ERA to go up and lots of his losses have been like 2-1 or 3-2, etc. So all in all I am very excited :D

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
hawkfandan said:
As a Cubs fan, I'd gladly welcome both Laroche and Duke on the Northside.

It seems like ex pirates flourish in Chicago...

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
In honor of Duke leaving the pirates I wanted to share my newest addition

DukeTTPatch2of9.jpg

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Duke wasn't as bad as his ERA and W/L totals were this year due to the horrible defense but Duke' stuff continues to decline to almost comical porportions. His HR rate was very high, abnormally high to where you think its just a fluke but when you see his location and his "stuff" those HR's he gave up were bombs.

I am indifferent to him being let go as he is a marginal player that will do better on a team with terrific defense (not just good) but has maddening mediocre stuff that isn't hard to replace.

Laroche has a bad back, hasn't done well in winter league play and may be out of baseball this or next season. His fielding declined and couldn't hit off the bench. If it was due to his back and he gets healthy we will see but he hasn't done much of anything for 2.5 years.

Young was just a terrible infielder but a good bat off the bench, he will find a gig somewhere.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
55_marlins_sp said:
Arizona acquired him for a PTBNL.

This kind of sucks... I was hoping for St. Louis or San Diego... Maybe some of his rare cards will pop up?? I need the 2004 Bowman Sterling Red Refractor BGS 9.5.....

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
They will try and sign him w/o offer arbitration is my guess. He would be due about 6 million per season if he goes through arbitration. If they can't sign him to a deal before the deadline then he might be DFA'd by Arizona as well.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Reports are that Arizona is trying to negotiated a contract and won't be offering him arbitration. Seems like they just wanted to get exclusive rights to negotiate with him before someone else stepped in.

If they don't come to a deal they basically will have given away a player for nothing.

I can't imagine the Pirates will get much more than organizational filler if that's the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts