Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sun Times show report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Heres my report from the first two days.

The line to get it was insane, it went on and on and on and on. I got there early this year, and was maybe the 25th person on line. Ladt year, I was about the millionth person on line.

Like usual, the show is basically sectioned off between vintage (to the right) and modern (to the left) with a couple of mixed dealers in each section. There were a good amount of wax dealers at the show and several prospectors set up.

Some random thoughts:

If you like, make that LOVE, digging through discount boxes of all prices, this show is for you.
Several guys had quarter and fifty cents BC prospect boxes, especially one guy who had TONS of these for a quarter.

When I got in at the Friday start, a dealer had boxes upon boxes of cards marked a dime and as everyone was going through it, he told us that they are actually a PENNY each. Now, even at that price, there wasnt much (for me at least) to buy, just not stuff I can use.

But then I realized that througout the boxes, there were cards in new toploaders. Being a card store owner, I go through a ton of them so I wound up buying almost 200 toploaders (with cards) for two bucks and as I sorted them out later, I couldnt stop laughing looking at all the cards included in the loaders, like John Jaha, Hideki Irabu, Ryan Leaf, an 80/20 Greenwell rookie and a whole bunch of cliff floyds among other "super stars."

There was an absolute TON of cheap game used there, and insane amount...which is great, along with some suspect patches and guaranteed hot packs...which isnt great.

A guy had perhaps the greatest Shaquille O'neal non auto "plaque" known to mankind.
I assume it was a custom job done around his rookie year.
It was a very large, triple fold out (hinged) glass case with pictures and every rookie and rookie year card. It also had a super duper heavy dose of gold prism foil lines going around every card and photo and border, kind of like what those unlicensed cards used to have.

Found it odd that Fergie Jenkins wasnt on the auto pavillion, instead he had his own table in the modern section (there were other athletes too who did this).

Ill post some of my better finds and buys in a day or two but all in all, it was a great show.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I seriously hope that there is that type of stuff at Nats next year. I could go through those boxes for hours and hours, especially Cliff Floyd stuff ... seriously.

Can't wait to see scans of your haul !

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
55_marlins_sp said:
I seriously hope that there is that type of stuff at Nats next year. I could go through those boxes for hours and hours, especially Cliff Floyd stuff ... seriously.

Dude you coming here for the National???? we have to hang and have a beer.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Pine Tar said:
[quote="55_marlins_sp":6ma5ne9t]I seriously hope that there is that type of stuff at Nats next year. I could go through those boxes for hours and hours, especially Cliff Floyd stuff ... seriously.

Dude you coming here for the National???? we have to hang and have a beer.[/quote:6ma5ne9t]

Yes. I was there in '08 and then in Cleveland in '09. Missed last year because of the birth of my daughter (a decent reason to miss Nats, I suppose ... ). But, yes, the drive from Ely is about 9 hours, so I'm gonna make 100% (unless something bad happens to me between now and then).

I suspect lots of drinking will take place in Chitown !

Members online