Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009/10 Mystery Cuts Mail Day...1/1 of a nobody & comments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Ok, so I stumbled across this card in my standard eBay search for "Dick Porter" and knew that no matter the cost...I would have it. Stupid? Probably, but I lost out on the only other Dick Porter 1/1 that came out in the 2005 Leaf Century set so this was a no-brainer.

dick-porter-mystery-cuts.png

Why Dick Porter? He was an old friend of my father and grand-father and has had a whopping 3 cards released since his 1934 Goudey - a 1993 Conlon Collection, 2005 Leaf Century 1/1 Cut auto, and now 2009 Mystery Cuts.

He was on those legendary Orioles teams of the 1920's that dominated the International League back in the unaffiliated days where it was still another "major league." He was finally sold to Cleveland for the 1929 season and hit over .300 during his 6-year MLB career before going back into the minors to be a player/manager. Nicknamed "Twitchy" or "Wiggles" for how he gyrated and moved during every at-bat, the stories my dad has about him are great.

Anyway...now onto the card.

I paid roughly $105 shipped with my max set at $800. Yes, $800 and I honestly thought I'd win it for $70 considering I'm typically the only bidder on his stuff and flat out refuse to pay more than $10 for a 3x5. To put it into perspective, I bought an entire game-used bat from the early 30s of his for under $150.

Looking at the cut, I have to wonder why they didn't feel the need to right the autograph instead of leaving it lop-sided. A second of care adds a lot to a card.

Looking at the wobbly window cut, I find it comical that it isn't a straight line. The windows are clearly laser cut judging by the browning of the window edge so Upper Deck easily could have used a straight line. Then again, the autograph cut itself wasn't even cut with a ruler so Upper Deck must not trust their employees with an Xacto and a ruler...nothing but plastic handled school scissors.

What does that mean? It's a joke for quality across the board and I'll anxiously await the day that they finally go under.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
VERY cool cut and even better story/connection on why you collect him :mrgreen: That would make a GREAT custom cut...you should reach out to 200lbhockeyplayer. Wait a second... ;)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Zing! Also, maybe he signed the card near the corner, so cutting it so the sig is straight would leave the borders uneven, which would bug you more, I'm sure.

But that's a great pickup. I love when people are hardcore collectors of 'common' or obscure players.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
Great story! Why wouldn't Wiggle's card be cut wiggly?
That is a good point.

On the topic, most in baseball had no idea how he could actually make contact, let alone hit as well as he hit. He won a few International League batting titles and came close to two Triple Crowns I believe.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everybody...this was really the only "modern" card that has really interested me in a long time.

NOTE: Whoever is holding on to the 2005 Leaf Century Dick Porter...yes I'm interested...and no, not at $800.

Members online