Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I found something pretty cool.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I have "connections" to 2 former major league baseball players. One is Mike Kingery, who grew up about an hour (I think) away from where I am. This is also where my grandpa grew up as a kid. When he was an adult, he and his wife (my grandma) owned a small cafe, where Mike would come in from time to time and buy food and chat with my grandparents. I am sure they also knew his parents as it is a very very small town.

I have met him a couple times, and he is a great guy to talk to. The first time I met him, I was only like 8, and he was at TwinsFest, and I walked up to him and asked if he remembered my grandparents ::facepalm:: He said he did, which is cool.

It isn't much but being that we only have had 2 (that I know of) people here to make the major leagues, it is a big deal for me...

Well anyway, I pick his cards up when I get a chance too, and I would like to obtain one of each (not signed, which is hard to do) and I was just goin through ebay and noticed that he has his own certified autograph.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-Leaf-Signature ... 51958062d5

I really like the 1996 Leaf Signatures set, and pick up the cheapos from time to time.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ronfromfresno said:
Great story and a great set. Kingery signed a 1991 Donruss card for me TTM back in 1992 or '93 when he was with the Giants.

I have 3 or 4 signed cards, a signed Twins autograph card from, Twins Fest, and some baseballs that he and some other guys signed.

He is a great great guy to talk too.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
gmarutiak said:
Don't leave me hanging! You said you have connections to TWO players. Who's the other one?

Dana Kiecker, whom I have only met once, but he is a nice guy.

He was the rookie of the year for the Red Sox (just the team, not the league) in either 90 or 92. He now is the television announcer for the St. Paul Saints

My grandpa knows his parents pretty well. His dad owns a furniture shop where Dana brings home GU bats, and he makes small pieces of furniture and stuff out of them. I plan on going and seeing this shop during the summer.

His mom carries autographed cards of him around, or did anyway. My grandpa stopped to talk to her at Wal-Mart one day, and they were talking, and he told her about me and my hobby, and she handed him a signed rookie card, which I now have. My sister folded it in half a few years ago ::facepalm:: but thankfully it isn't ripped, just creased. It doesn't matter though, because I am not going to get rid of it.

Latest posts