Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Modern type set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Has anyone ever built one? I've done vintage type sets - one card from every hockey set from 1909-1979; baseball Hall Of Famers' cards issued during their playing career from as many sets as possible. It gets real difficult, real fast - especially if you're talking about 19th century guys where there are more players than available sets

I've been toying with ideas about a modern type set. I think I've decided on on-card autos from every star from 1980-present. All from different sets. So even though there are probably 40-50 players I need from the 1998 Leaf Signature set, I'm can only pick up one. It'll probably be really easy at first, then become difficult when the pool of sets and players I still need dwindle.

Has anyone ever tried this? At the very least, all the diversity will probably look colorful when displayed

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
TTM included?

Nah. Only pack issued certified autos.

If I get to the point where I come across a guy I need who doesn't have a pack issued card, I might consider TTM as a last resort. Depends on who the player is. I don't even have a solid list of the players I'll be chasing.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
How are you going to define "all of the stars" from 1980-present.

at least 5 all star appearances?
Major award winners?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
jbhofmann said:
How are you going to define "all of the stars" from 1980-present.

at least 5 all star appearances?
Major award winners?

No set parameters, really. There are players I like for personal reasons - like Edgar Renteria, who had the game winning hit in the 1997 WS - who I'll include. And there are guys who every rational person would consider a star - like Roger Clemens - who I friggin hate. I have zero interest in buying Clemens

Since it's so open ended, there isn't really a set completion goal. I'm just gonna pick up what I'm interested in. That's the point of collecting, anyway

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sounds like fun, might be good to build your player list first. This would help to target the bigger names and buy them in set that you like best.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
This is exactly what I've been doing. There's a specific section in my bucket for it. However I'm not stiff on absolutely only 1 auto per set, but I've been getting one auto for each star and getting as many sets as possible

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
WoundedDuck said:
This is exactly what I've been doing. There's a specific section in my bucket for it. However I'm not stiff on absolutely only 1 auto per set, but I've been getting one auto for each star and getting as many sets as possible

Nice.

I looked through my non graded stuff, and I have 73 that could be included. Unfortunately, only 27 unique ones.

I'm gonna include parallels, I think. As long as they're distinguishable. So I can have a 1997 Donruss Signature, plus a Millenium, plus a Century. Same with BC refractors.

If I get a chance I might head to the office and scan them

Members online

Latest posts