Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Razor plan on signing draftees of '09?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gomatt

Oct 1, 2008
Anyone know their intentions? I've read that they have a multi-year plan, but wasn't sure if they intended to replicate what they did in '08.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
personally I think they will adopt a slightly different strategy on the exclusives.

I think they will go harder after the bigger players, and not sign some of the marginal guys that they did in 08.

Wes

OG
Administrator
cgilmo said:
personally I think they will adopt a slightly different strategy on the exclusives.

I think they will go harder after the bigger players, and not sign some of the marginal guys that they did in 08.

+1 - no chance we see another 100 card AU set, but they will definintely try to lock up the big guys.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
LLWesMan said:
cgilmo said:

+1 - no chance we see another 100 card AU set, but they will definintely try to lock up the big guys.

well, we still may see a 100 card auto set, but some of the sleepers won't be exclusive

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
2009 will be interesting as Donruss and Topps will jump in looking for exclusive rights as well, especially Donruss. If each company signs one of the top 3 draft picks, this prospect landscape will be much different.

Razor had little true competition trying to lock up exclusive deals...that lack of competition has officially has ended. That said, I would be surprised if Razor was going to lock up the same 1st round percentage as they did in 2008 to exclusive deals.

And who knows, they may lock up more.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
2009 will be interesting as Donruss and Topps will jump in looking for exclusive rights as well, especially Donruss. If each company signs one of the top 3 draft picks, this prospect landscape will be much different.

Razor had little true competition trying to lock up exclusive deals...that lack of competition has officially has ended. That said, I would be surprised if Razor was going to lock up the same 1st round percentage as they did in 2008 to exclusive deals.

Donruss probably won't be joining in on the exclusive contracts game, and Topps still thinks they don't need to.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Donruss probably won't be joining in on the exclusive contracts game, and Topps still thinks they don't need to.
Ask Rick Porcello fans if they believe that statement.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
At what point in the game was Beckham signed? It was fairly early on I think, I think Topps had a chance to try and get some exclusives last year and just felt they didn't need to. Personally, I don't think they are going to change that strategy this year, not until their product doesn't sell and '08 draft sold quite well.

Wes

OG
Administrator
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I would disagree with that - how many exclusives do Donruss or Topps have as far as draft picks?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I am not sure if topps sold out or nearly sold out of BDP but if they did i dont feel they will change their strategy to exclusives. While I do think Razor will face some competition for the top level guys i think it will just be that they wont be razor exclusives which will hurt Razor

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Ask Rick Porcello fans if they believe that statement.

You might think it was all smoke and mirrors, but in a recent interview, Scott Prucha said that it was not in donruss's plans to sign a bunch of exclusives.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I would disagree with that - how many exclusives do Donruss or Topps have as far as draft picks?
They didn't pursue exclusive contracts as they didn't feel the need to. However, the exclusive nature of some of Razor's deals have undoubtedly changed that previous mindset.

I think it would be naive to assume that Topps and Donruss do not attempt to lock up some exclusive players. Of course, they may not, but I would have to believe that they would. Donruss of course has already locked up what many believe to be the top pitching prospect in baseball in Porcello.

Now, maybe Razor still wins the contracts, but I would think the prices would go up once there are companies competing for the exclusivity.

Wes

OG
Administrator
200lbhockeyplayer said:
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

They didn't pursue exclusive contracts as they didn't feel the need to. However, the exclusive nature of some of Razor's deals have undoubtedly changed that previous mindset.

I think it would be naive to assume that Topps and Donruss do not attempt to lock up some exclusive players. Of course, they may not, but I would have to believe that they would. Donruss of course has already locked up what many believe to be the top pitching prospect in baseball in Porcello.

Now, maybe Razor still wins the contracts, but I would think the prices would go up once there are companies competing for the exclusivity.

Porcello might be an exclusive now but he already has a Bowman Chrome card.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
We shall see but personally, I just don't think Topps is willing to fork out the kind of money needed to sign these guys.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
LLWesMan said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Porcello might be an exclusive now but he already has a Bowman Chrome card.

Porcello has an exclusive autograph deal, not an exclusive image rights contract.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
You might think it was all smoke and mirrors, but in a recent interview, Scott Prucha said that it was not in donruss's plans to sign a bunch of exclusives.
What's a "bunch"?

How about three? Three is hardly "a bunch" right?

So go ahead and remove any three of the top 6 2008 Draft players who are Razor exclusives and see if Razor has the same impact. (FYI, the 6 exclusives from the top 7 drafted are: Tim Beckham, Pedro Alvarez, Eric Hosmer, Brian Matusz, Kyle Skipworth and Yonder Alonso.)

How about only two less...does it change the product?

I think it does.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
What's a "bunch"?

How about three? Three is hardly "a bunch" right?

So go ahead and remove any three of the top 6 2008 Draft players who are Razor exclusives and see if Razor has the same impact. (FYI, the 6 exclusives from the top 7 drafted are: Tim Beckham, Pedro Alvarez, Eric Hosmer, Brian Matusz, Kyle Skipworth and Yonder Alonso.)

How about only two less...does it change the product?

I think it does.

I will have to listen to the podcast again to get the words he used.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Which will ultimately hurt the collectors (or more likely wax busters) as the card companies pass on this added cost to their customers.

Members online

Latest posts