Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mailweeks: I love Sterling Patches!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
We'll start with a cheap card compared to the Sterling patches. I love these cards, as they're the game-used collector's version of the superfractor. This is a game-used hat from Jim Palmer's rookie year and serial numbered to 5. I thought $20 was a nice price.
JimPalmer2005TimelessTreasures.jpg

I just bought the second A-Rod below for $75, which is a really nice patch and looks like it came from right next to the patch from a card that I previously purchased.
A-RodPatch1.jpg
A-RodPatch2.jpg

AlexRodriguez2003Flair4.jpg
AlexRodriguez2003Flair5.jpg

I also grabbed this Vlad from the same seller for $30.
VladimirGuerrero2003Flair2.jpg

To continue with the large Flair cards, I got this Eddie Mathews bat for my set, which is slowly coming together. There's a giant crease in the back, but it will have to do for now. I'm now up to 9/12 bats, 13/17 jerseys and 12/16 patches.
BatEddieMathews.jpg

I told a Canseco collector on these boards that I would let him win the next Canseco patch, but this one was a $10 BIN so I couldn't pass it up. There's a big dent on the top-right corner, which isn't that uncommon for this giant card.
PatchJoseCanseco6.jpg

BarryBonds2002UpperDeck.jpg

I thought this was a good deal for a $200 BIN, but then a week later one of the other five sold for about $65. The patch wasn't as good, but I was still amazed at the price. I passed on it because I had already bought this one, but now I wish I would have bid. I've seen contrasting opinions on this board, but I really like the set. I'd go for it if there weren't so many modern guys, but I've picked up nice patches of Ryan, Fisk, Carlton, Palmer, and Santo (can't wait to get that one).
NolanRyan2008UltimateCollection.jpg

I think this one was $97, which seems like a good price for a jumbo patch of a popular player.
RyneSandberg2007ToppsSterling.jpg

I got this fantastic card for a $300 BIN. There were already two offers on it when I saw it, so I'm glad they didn't know the correct value. Another card like this with a sticker auto sold for $700, but I think this one is better because my card has more material and less sticker. However, the $700 was due to only two bidders, so I think it was a fluke.
YogiBerra2008ToppsSterling.jpg

I bought the first Sutter, but then I got the second from a board member so I'll sell the first one to recoup some of my money.
BruceSutter2008ToppsSterling2.jpg
BruceSutter2008ToppsSterling.jpg

PhilNiekro2008ToppsSterling.jpg
ReggieJackson2008ToppsSterling1.jpg

I love these Sterling jumbo patches, but I'm only trying to pick up the top guys like Jackson and Brock. I figured I would go totally broke if I went for them all, so I've stayed away from nice patches of Justice, McGriff, Boggs and not as attractive patches of guys like Torre and Spahn.
ReggieJackson2008ToppsSterling2.jpg
ReggieJackson2008ToppsSterling3.jpg

LouBrock2008ToppsSterling1.jpg
LouBrock2008ToppsSterling2.jpg

I've seen a ton of amazing Prime Cuts patches on these boards, but I've stayed away for the most part. I was most excited about picking up a Jackie Robinson patch, but since they're from a jacket instead of a jersey I haven't bought any. My fingers are crossed that more jersey patches will be produced of him. These "colossal" Gwynn's were about $55 each, but they look paltry next to the giant Sterling patches.
TonyGwynn2008PrimeCuts1.jpg
TonyGwynn2008PrimeCuts2.jpg

Joe Morgan patches are underappreciated, and I bought this card with three logo patches for about $30. The kicker is that it's a 1/1.
JoeMorgan2008PrimeCuts.jpg

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
:shock: This is the nicest showcase thread I've seen in a while. WOW man, quite a load there. :eek: Congrats!

That Berra /10 is SO SWEET! I'm glad I got my Ripken before you got to it... lol

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the comments everyone. Sterling is making me second guess all my other purchases of less impressive patches.

scotty21690- Yep, I bought that one from Dave.

Snyper- I saw those Ripken logo patches, but there's no way I can compete with you crazy Ripken fans. You certainly don't have to worry about me when buying top-notch cards of him. I'll stick to my patches of old guys unless I stumble upon a lucky BIN. Him and Manny always amaze me with their prices for their nice patches.

Members online

Latest posts