Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS Grades - which would you prefer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
For a newer card would you rather it come back with a low grade of, say, 7 or 8, or would you rather the "Authentic" notation on the slab?

I'm thinking of submitting a 1/1 card to BGS, but it's got some scuffing (seen only when you tilt the card under a light) on the back and a slightly dinged corner so I doubt it'd get a 9 or even an 8. If the "Authentic" slab label is different than the actual grade labels, my OCD probably would prefer an actual grade so that the labels are all the same on my graded stuff, even if the grade is kind of low.

Anyone else have an opinion?

- R.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The flips are all different, thats where BGS is weak, imo

IF the white flips that BGS uses werent made of PAPER (whereas the Silver and GOld Flips are made of metal)
they'd be a lot better imo

Here are some examples for you to see:

Freeman2007BowChrBlueBGS95.jpgFreeman2007BowChrXfrBGS9.jpg

Here's an example of the paper flip:

Yount1975ToppsMiniBVG45.jpg

(since i was slabbing these for my PC, i did not want under a 9, so i asked for the autho if it didnt 9 or better)

Freeman2006US_PatchBGSA.jpg
Freeman2006USA_BlueBGSA.jpg

If you are all about consistent visual presentation of your slabs, i recommend that you go with SGC or PSA,
as their Flips are the same regardless of grade

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks ThosebackPages for the scans. I hadn't considered that the labels are different colours for the different grades. It seems BGS is the preferred grading service for FCB, plus there's a discount, which is why I would go with them. Everyone speaks highly of BGS. I guess my OCD will just have to get over the label variations! :D

- R.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
olerud363 said:
Thanks ThosebackPages for the scans. I hadn't considered that the labels are different colours for the different grades. It seems BGS is the preferred grading service for FCB, plus there's a discount, which is why I would go with them. Everyone speaks highly of BGS. I guess my OCD will just have to get over the label variations! :D

- R.
SGC is about the same price and better CS. but BGS has better salbs, so theres more protection for your cards

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
You inadvertently showed something that annoys me as well: Horizontal cards and their flips' placement.

You show two different horizontal USA cards from the same set but the BGS labels (flips) appear on different sides. I have submitted identical copies of the same card, and they have come like this. In my opinion, if you are looking at a horizontal card, the flip should be on the right (like the Freeman patch). Regardless, it should be consistent.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
leatherman said:
You inadvertently showed something that annoys me as well: Horizontal cards and their flips' placement.

You show two different horizontal USA cards from the same set but the BGS labels (flips) appear on different sides. I have submitted identical copies of the same card, and they have come like this. In my opinion, if you are looking at a horizontal card, the flip should be on the right (like the Freeman patch). Regardless, it should be consistent.

i totally agree. i have talked to SGC about this very topic (as mentioned by Jeff, SGC has the best CS, BGS doesnt have time to talk to the little guy it seems to me) and they said that it should be the way you mentioned David

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
If you were planning on grading to sell, which would you rather have: BGS 9, or slabbed as authentic?

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
WNP22 said:
If you were planning on grading to sell, which would you rather have: BGS 9, or slabbed as authentic?

Between those 2 I would go with a BGS 9. Most people would see the authentic slab and figure the condition to be worse than a 9. The different from a 9.5 to a 9 could be very very minor (i.e. .5 of 1 subgrade). While the authentic slab leaves the grading off the table, up for assumption, and one would assume if you sent the card out for authentication, you would have done a minimal grade as well unless the card was not going to grade well to begin with.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
WNP22 said:

Of course I would rather have a BGS 9, since the grade implies authenticity as well as describing its condition. My dilemma is that I don't think the card will get a 9, so should I send it with a minimum grade, or no minimum and take whatever grade comes back?

Since it's a 1/1 and for my PC, I'll probably submit it with a minimum of 9 and if it gets it by some fluke, then great. But I would expect it to come back as "Authentic", i.e. does not meet minimum grade.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

- R.