Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are the best "error" cards of all time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wickedliquids

Feb 4, 2010
I was at the San Leandro card show over the weekend and picked up the Billy Ripken FF card - I've always wanted one of these cards and could never pull one when I was kid and when I saw it at the show, my eyes lit up and I bought it! My girlfriend thought it was funny and cute. *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I was wondering, what have been the most, or best, or epic, "error" cards of all time?

I can only think of the Billy Ripken 89 Fleer FF card and the Upper Deck Dale Murphy reverse negative.

Edit: Forgot to also add - all of 1990 Donruss. WTH was that all about?....

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
justinmandawg said:
hofmichael said:
George_Calfas said:
T-205 Hoblitzell "no stats"
A guy I know just bought a huge lot of T206's.With them came a few T205's and guess what card was with the T205's.Hell of a find for him.
Mike
With a sgc 60 running 20k, thats a pretty good pickup.

Last PSA3 sold for $15K.....only 33 have been graded by PSA

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
George_Calfas said:
justinmandawg said:
hofmichael said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1uwifpg9]T-205 Hoblitzell "no stats"
A guy I know just bought a huge lot of T206's.With them came a few T205's and guess what card was with the T205's.Hell of a find for him.
Mike
With a sgc 60 running 20k, thats a pretty good pickup.

Last PSA3 sold for $15K.....only 33 have been graded by PSA[/quote:1uwifpg9]
It should be an easy 3.Maybe a 4 if SCG grades it.He has already contacted an auction house.
Mike

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
My list of favorites in no particular order.

1989 Fleer FF
1989 Fleer Johnson Marlboro (specifically the clear billboard)
1977 Topps C3PO
1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt BBox
1990 Topps NNOF and neighbors
1990 Pro Set Fred Marion Belt
1989 Upper Deck Dale Murphy Rev Neg
1990 Pacific Senior Jim Nettles vulgar bat knob
and a special Thank You goes out to the '87 T and '90 D sets for hours of fun E/V hunting back in the day.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Like the Ripken, it's not an error per se, but in 1989 UD there's a photo on the back of one card with a vulgarity. On a sign on an outfield wall it says "WORLD'S LARGEST TITLE INSURER" or something like that. Except the "LE" is blocked by someone in the outfield.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
The best of all time is the T206 Doyle "Natl" and T206 Magie.

The T206 Joe Doyle is actually in the same class as the T206 Honus Wagner card, and for a time sold for more $$ in the same grade.
A PSA-1 sold for close to $200K many years ago, while the Wagner in same grade would sell for 1/2 that at the time.

The error is that they made the caption "Doyle NY Natl", but Doyle played for the Highlanders (Yankees) of the American League... so when they discovered that they put "Natl" instead of "Amer", the quick fix was to just remove the league designation all together.
So the rare card will have the "Natl", while the corrected card will have no League designation.
There are only about 10-12 Doyle Natl cards known, making it about 5 times rare than the overrated T206 Wagner.

The T206 Sherry Magee card was first printed with his name as "Magie", then corrected very early on to "Magee".
The Magie is the valuable card, while the Magee is a common.

Members online

Latest posts