Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Weird question Do you have a plan for your collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I just had a weird thought but have you left your spouse or another
family member instructions for what to do with your stuff if you suddenly die?
Personally I have not but I think I will just so that it does not end
up being sold for pennies on the dollar. I have put lots of time and of course money into
my cards so I think I should Any thoughts??

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great Topic!

this is a great "pro" for having "valuable" cards graded.
it will avoid a lot of headaches for non-card knowing family members

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
She better continue buying and selling to make money!!!!

HAHA. I showed her how to use the scanner, so that's the first step. She know how to sell stuff on ebay already, so that's a plus.

Not sure if she would know what to do otherwise.

What about online communities? Do you put that in the will to put out an APB to all online communities that you have passed?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am going to have many of my cards slabbed, and I am getting rid of ALL my base, inserts, and high numbered cards, just leaving the better things. Most of my better TTMs will be authenticated.

What I would do is ask my family to consult an area collector and have him appraise the collection and tell them if they should piece it out, or to sell it all together.

If I were to die with kids, I would have most sold the same way, but I would have them hold onto some of the better IP/TTM/Vintage stuff and give it to my kids if they were at all interested in collecting/baseball.

That... plain and simple.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I guess I had to be the guy to ask the question so now I am that guy
but regardless I think I will leave some info behind

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I don't have any family members that even enjoy baseball, so no one to pass them down to. I will probably sell them when I retire, just so that no one else will have the burden. I will probably pass some down to a future son-in-law, not valuable ones, but cards that were special to me (any customs that don't sell and my psa/dna cards).

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
This my man is what I am referring to people's plans don't always happen unfortunately so
you need backup plans if not thats how so called "steals " are made I would rather the money go
to my family rather than a dealer type

hofautos said:
I don't have any family members that even enjoy baseball, so no one to pass them down to. I will probably sell them when I retire, just so that no one else will have the burden. I will probably pass some down to a future son-in-law, not valuable ones, but cards that were special to me (any customs that don't sell and my psa/dna cards).

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
craiger122003 said:
This my man is what I am referring to people's plans don't always happen unfortunately so
you need backup plans if not thats how so called "steals " are made I would rather the money go

hofautos said:

huh? I will probably sell everything within 1-2 years, and if i die before that, my wife would have them commissioned on ebay by a local friend which I have already told her...but I have every intention of selling anything of any real value within the next year or two.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
You need to let people close to you know what things are worth
and how to sell it otherwise they will view it as junk and garage sale it

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
craiger122003 said:
You need to let people close to you know what things are worth
and how to sell it otherwise they will view it as junk and garage sale it

I edited above post...they will be consigned on ebay.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I'd rather have my family get $20 for my collection than to hold onto it just because it was important to me. If they dont want it, get rid of it. I have a ongoing process.
Passwords/user names to sites are documented. Have yet to compile a final on what I'd like her to say on MB's. But I want my last post.
Graded when I can for easy identification.
People who can help sell/buy the stuff phone/email list.
Prices paid/value (updated) noted in the binder, box etc. This is only for my rarest. I dont have anything crazy valuable, but since I liked certain items so much, every dollar she/they can get, I'd prefer.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
See so you do have a plan I will have a plan similar to yours
You never know what day you will die not trying to be weird like
that but its the truth I would hate to see my stuff sold at crap prices

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I dont have anything crazy valuable, but since I liked certain items so much, every dollar she/they can get, I'd prefer.

I totally agree with this

AK11

May 24, 2010
Good topic as I think about this every once in awhile. I have a genetic illness that is eventually terminal and I think I should make a will as to who inherits my collection. My parents only know so much about who I have in my collection and my cousin knows some sports, but may not know enough to know the value of my collection. I have a lot of rare cards that are hard to replace and knowing their true value is hard for family members who want to sell your collection off when you pass on. My parents said my collection will come in handy when they retire, so I guess I'm building it for them.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
AK11 said:
Good topic as I think about this every once in awhile. I have a genetic illness that is eventually terminal and I think I should make a will as to who inherits my collection. My parents only know so much about who I have in my collection and my cousin knows some sports, but may not know enough to know the value of my collection. I have a lot of rare cards that are hard to replace and knowing their true value is hard for family members who want to sell your collection off when you pass on. My parents said my collection will come in handy when they retire, so I guess I'm building it for them.
ehhhhhhhhh

Kinda morbid thing for your parents to say....

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
My plan has always been pretty straight forward and simple. I began the collection with my sons so that is where it will eventually go.

Their TTM/IP auto'd card collection has been built so that we do our best to get two of everyone. That way, one day, they can go through the album and split it right down the middle.

We have done the same thing with our auto'd 8x10s. Most of them are personalized to Noah or to Luke so it will be even easier.

The auto'd baseballs are the same way. Several are personalized but even when they didn't personalize, we got two auto'd baseballs for each person so that the collection can one day be split.

If I am fortunate and see both boys grow up, the collection is theirs to take with them when they get their own home, get married, etc.

David

AK11

May 24, 2010
boxbreaker44 said:
AK11 said:
ehhhhhhhhh

Kinda morbid thing for your parents to say....

It's not as bad as it may sound. I won't have my own family or even siblings to take in my collection, so whoever has it, it will more than likely be sold off piece by piece. Retirement takes money these days, so I completely understand what they mean. I just worry about living today and collecting for tomorrow so to speak.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
We girlfriend has specific instructions on were to take my stuff should I pass untimely.If I live a long life then our daughter will have one hell of a jump start to her retirement.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
hofautos said:
craiger122003 said:

hofautos said:

huh? I will probably sell everything within 1-2 years, and if i die before that, my wife would have them commissioned on ebay by a local friend which I have already told her...but I have every intention of selling anything of any real value within the next year or two.

hofautos,

How old are you? I never guessed you for a day over 29.

Members online

Latest posts