Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rockies, Tulo nearing Mega Deal (10 yr Extension)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The Rockies are nearing a ten-year extension with shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, according to ESPN.com's Keith Law. ESPN.com's Buster Olney confirms that the sides are closing in on a mega-deal. Tulowitzki is midway through the six-year, $31MM extension he signed before the 2008 season. The new deal will will pick up Tulowitzki's $15MM option for 2014 and add six years on top of that, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). 

Tulowitzki's representatives at TWC Sports have no doubt secured their client a nine-figure deal. He'll earn $38.75MM through 2014; a $20MM salary for the remaining six years would put the contract's value in the $160MM range.

The 26-year-old won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger in 2010, finishing fifth in MVP voting for the second consecutive season. Tulowitzki also made his first All-Star team and, even though he missed a month with a left wrist fracture, finished the season with fantastic numbers. He posted a .315/.381/.568 line and hit 27 homers in 529 plate appearances.

Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter are the only active big leaguers who have signed ten-year deals. Those two players, along with Miguel Cabrera, Manny Ramirez, C.C. Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and Joe Mauer, are the only players in baseball history to sign deals worth over $150MM.

Tulo's deal would surpass Todd Helton's nine-year $141.5MM deal (2001) and Mike Hampton's eight-year $121MM deal (2000) to become the longest (and likely the most lucrative) contract in Rockies franchise history.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Absurd to do that after complaing how Helton's contract doesn't allow much flexbility. Only way I do that if its deferred for the last 4 years.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Well deserved. Being a Padres fan I get to watch Tulo quite often and he is definitely one of the premier shortstops in the league. He's got awesome range and a great bat.

I'm sure that September tear sure helped with this contract.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I guess he will never get in the HOF because no rockie can ever get in the HOF because of their ballpark...

...just poking fun at those that suggest that Helton won't get in.... :lol:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Tulo is an athletic, 26-year old shortstop who is clearly is the face of the franchise.

Tulo isn't just some 'one-dimensional' slugger who hits home runs and gets a boost from Coors Field, but a five-tool guy who is the best defensive shortstop in the National League.

If he plays out his contract, he may very well be the first homegrown Colorado Rockies player to make the HOF.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Wow - I just heard about this - I've been way too busy with life; not to mention that the Rockies are also nearing a deal with Jorge De La Rosa! Great things are happening.

Welcome our newest "franchise face", Rockies - and Tulo - fans! :mrgreen:

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
stevezimmer22 said:
Give CarGo some cash.

They would if they could. But he's a Scott Boras client. He won't give up free agency years that the Rockies would reasonably require in order to give him the security of a long-term deal through his arbitration eligible years. There's no use in even bringing it up with Boras.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Tulo's surplus after 2014 would probably would have been around 18 million a year. Translate that to trade value: Either 3 Top 10 prospects or 18 million dollars in replacement players. Instead they pick it up for 15 million plus add another $119 million onto it past his surplus years.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
In my opinion, great deal for Tulo. I don't know why the Rockies would do this though. What happens if Tulo gets a major injury? It's not like football or hockey where you can cut a player.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I think Tulo's a hell of a player and one of a handful I'd consider worthy of a 10-year deal. But this just seems awfully risky on the part of the Rockies, a team that should know something about crippling long-term deals. Sure, it may work out beautifully for them but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Members online

Latest posts