Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Deck USA Sets Price Spike!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruffryder98499

Aug 28, 2008
Louisiana
2008 UD USA Baseball Set

Factory direct cost is $140 per set.
This is the 2008 USA Team (the one in the summer was the 2007 team) and this is a different format.

2665 numbered sets

Each set will have 7 autographed cards numbered to 175 or less, 3 of which will have cards hard signed (versus labels) and 6 gu jersey cards 2 of which will be patches, also numbered to 175 or less. This item is not offered direct

luker2324

Jan 7, 2009
Seems like I bought the 02 (1 auto, 1 gu) & 03 (3 autos) sets at $20. The 05 (3 national, 2 alumni autos) & 06 (3 autos and a dual auto) Sets at $30. The 07 (what was it 7 or 8 hits a set) jumped to $60, not sure about 08's, but man inflation has taken its toll on these sets. That price is taking a lot of USA collectors out of the picture. Looks like I am sticking to singles again this year. :(

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I just saved myself $1000. I like that Upper Deck is concerned about me in this economy, and helping me keep money in my pocket.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I liked it better when USA cards were a novelty...not when they were inserted into every product, PLUS a team set (over-priced or not).

Welcome back to USA Baseball Upper Deck...you douches.

I'm getting tired of this.

Uofo2212

Aug 8, 2008
Another decent product that UD has ruined....I'll pick up a few singles, otherwise they can keep their overproduced USA sets......

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I guess I'm done with buying USA boxed sets then. One more hobby niche that Upper ****** has ruined for me.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
It's all about the singles....BABYYYY!

dickvitale.jpg

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I was going to do a couple, but 280 is not the price that I had in mind. :evil: :twisted: If UD's plan is to ruin the hobby, then they are doing a fantastic job accomplishing their goal. :x

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Do they have any inside info. on whom will be tagged "exclusive's" this upcoming draft (maybe they plan on throwing thier hat into the "exclusive" ring)? Just a thought.... They are obviously going out with a "bang" since there will be no more Olympics baseball, & I'm guessing now we know the reason behind throwing all of the USA stuff in all of thier recent product's (to PUMP thier upcoming USA sells) :? Singles for me it is (if anyone busts any of this stuff)!!! :D

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Do they have any inside info. on whom will be tagged "exclusive's" this upcoming draft (maybe they plan on throwing thier hat into the "exclusive" ring)? Just a thought.... They are obviously going out with a "bang" since there will be no more Olympics baseball, & I'm guessing now we know the reason behind throwing all of the USA stuff in all of thier recent product's (to PUMP thier upcoming USA sells) :? Singles for me it is (if anyone busts any of this stuff)!!! :D
The Olympics happen once every 4 years...and yet USA Baseball fields teams every year....hmmm.

There is no "going out with a bang."

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm looking forward to Beefy's podcast in which he'll be interviewing Chris Carlin @ UD tomorrow. It'll be interesting, to say the least, to hear how he plans to justify the price hike.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Something else that I feel is worth mentioning about this product:

On UD's site, the checklists are more up-to-date than the original one. It includes various omissions that have been made. Two of the biggest omissions are:

1) Stephen Strasburg was scheduled to appear in 15 different insert sets, but will now appear in nine instead. He has been yanked from the following sets:

> Nat Team In His Own Words Auto/20
> Nat Team "The Letters"/15
> Nat Team Jersey Blue Auto/99
> Nat Team Jersey Red Auto/25
> Nat Team Jersey Green Auto/2
> Nat Team Jersey Patch Black Auto/30

He will be appearing in the following:

> Nat Team Base Autos, Levels 1-3 (#d to 175, 25 and 2)
> Nat Team Q & A Auto/102
> Nat Team USA Retrospective (insert) (not auto'd or #d)
> Nat Team Flag Patch/1
> Nat Team Jersey Patch/50
> Nat Team Jersey/149
> Nat Team Patriotic Patch Auto/50

2) In addition, many of the players on the Junior National Team have been yanked from the Base Auto checklists (Levels 1-3). They are:

> Trevor Bauer
> Bobby Borchering
> Ryan Curl
> Garrett Gould
> Randal Grichuk
> Louis Head
> Matt Helm
> Chad James
> Zach Lee
> Tom Lemke
> Jacob Marisnick
> Tyler Matzek
> Jiovanni Mier
> Marlon Mitchell
> Matthew Moynihan
> Mike Trout
> Josh Turley
> LeVon Washington
> Clay Dalton
> Zach Dotson
> Dane Phillips
> Adam Plutko
> Robert Refsnyder
> Jameson Taillon
> Anthony Tzamtzis
> Jake Williams
> Zach Wilson
> Justin Charles
> Adrian Williams

And yet they plan to raise the price?

Something just doesn't click here.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
> Bobby Borchering
> Tyler Matzek
> LeVon Washington

Those 3 are huge loses. I was really looking forward to Borchering and Matzek. :twisted:

Members online

Latest posts