Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WHAT?!?!?!?!? MLB.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
So about 2 weeks ago, i ordered a Bryce Harper #34 Custon Jersey from MLB.com because they didn't have his name already for sale. It was about $100 DLVD on black friday.

Today, i got an email saying that the sale was cancelled. When i called in to ask why, they told me that it was because they cant use his name for some reason. Why would this happen. It makes no sense... Kinda PO'd. Cant get it now with my $100 gift card because the black friday sale is over, so i cant get another player instead. Have nothing else i would want from the site....

Why do you think they cant use his name??? They guy didn't give me any answe as to why.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I would call them up and say you bought it as a gift for a friend named ____ Harper and he likes #34.

There were no restrictions on what names can be used w/ what numbers, so you want what you paid for.

If they don't comply, call your CC company and refuse the charges.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
NECpilgrims8 said:
I would call them up and say you bought it as a gift for a friend named ____ Harper and he likes #34.

There were no restrictions on what names can be used w/ what numbers, so you want what you paid for.

If they don't comply, call your CC company and refuse the charges.
There are restrictions once he is on the 40 man, which he is. They practically own his name now. It has to do with the MLBPA, etc.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Probably because he hasn't made his MLB debut yet. He's not part of the PA

That was my first thought as well.

Was curious though and checked "the rules" on the site and here is what you get......

Guidelines for Customization

* League player names must match current team rosters and the team for which they currently play
* Retired player names and/or numbers cannot be printed on the team's jersey from which they retired
* Both adult and youth jerseys hold up to 12 characters
* Characters accepted: capital A-Z (name field only); 0-9 (number field only); spaces
* Each space counts as one (1) character
* Language deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or profane will not be accepted
* If your selection does not meet all of the above criteria you will be prompted to start over

Not sure what makes it not valid there.....I guess they could say his "team" is a minor league club? Seems like they should put something more specific in there regarding prospects then if it isn't allowed.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Retired player names and/or numbers cannot be printed on the team's jersey from which they retired
So I can't order any #35 Thomas from, Oakland?
I never understood this.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
thefatguy said:
Retired player names and/or numbers cannot be printed on the team's jersey from which they retired
So I can't order any #35 Thomas from, Oakland?
I never understood this.

Is it because the "throw back" jersey has become a market on it's own?
I'm guessing companies like Mitchell & Ness have to pay to use the teams/names.....so maybe it's a mutual agreement, where MLB is getting a ton of money from companies like that, and they get people to buy their expensive "throwback" jersey's.