Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Pena signs 1 year deal with Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Apparently Jim Hendry and Greg Maddux are meeting with Boras a second time and are hammering out the details on a 2 to 3 year contract.

Cubs fans what do you think about this?

Personally I love it. I think Pens is a great clubhouse guy and one of the best defensive 1B in the league oh yeah the 25-35 HR's he may hit playing half his games in wrigley are nice too

Well looks like the Cubs overpaid to get him 1 year 10 million per but I am still happy they got him. Now if only I still had my Pens collection now would be the time to sell

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Re: Carlos Pena

Depends on the terms of the deal, but assuming Pena bounces back at all he should be a good presence for the young kids and his defense is every bit as good as D-Lee's. My only concern is that a .190 average is so horrid that I am concerned about whether he will be able to put up good numbers this coming year.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Carlos Pena

Pena has never had a high average and I believe he wont hit that low again but all the other things he brings to the table are pretty damn good. I heard 2-3 years at 7-8 MM

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Carlos Penasigns 1 year deal with Cubs

Done deal cubs fan what do you think

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.

He's a windmill...along with Davis.

They could have done better ::facepalm::

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
sebpoo said:
$10M is a lot of money for a .200 hitter.

They definitely overlaid but Hendry had to do something after letting Dunn and Berkman sign elsewhere. Besides I am glad they only overlaid for 1 year as opposed to signing him to a 2-3 year deal that was originally talked about

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008

PeteD said:

Who do you think would be a better choice?

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008

Zeeck said:
ahill1 said:
PeteD said:

could have gotten LaRoche for two years for that amount

Ya but this gives the Cubs flexibility after this year and some of the money is deferred. Plus Pena is a better power hitter which is something the Cubs really need, but ya his average will suck.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Boras told him to take a one year deal since he did not hit well last season. And if he does well next season, he (Boras) will get him paid some place else. But I don't see this happening, even if he hits like .300. But he is in the National League now, so his number may not get better then last season.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
I like the deal. He's a better option then Davis and has more upside then LaRoche. Plus since it's a one year deal it leaves them open to the Fielder/Pujols/Gonzalez sweepstakes next year assuming those guys hit the market.

dutchj16

Aug 11, 2008
Pine Tar said:
Boras told him to take a one year deal since he did not hit well last season. And if he does well next season, he (Boras) will get him paid some place else. But I don't see this happening, even if he hits like .300. But he is in the National League now, so his number may not get better then last season.

I imagine he will hit better than last year because the NL central has pretty bad pitching and last year he played in the best division in all of baseball. Also, the American League is better than the National League so I see his numbers improving.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.

ahill1 said:
PeteD said:

Overbay for one...rock steady at 1'st and a better contact hitter. Could hit 20-25 hr's at Wrigley.

Members online

Latest posts