Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What feedback is appropriate for cards that are gem but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I've had one or two of those in the past. If I put them in a top-loader and seal it in a team bag, it keeps most of the stench in. Or, you could get it slabbed since it's a gem. That way, you don't have to smell the stench ever again.

You could always leave a neutral stating that the card stinks, but I'd usually let something like this slide.

Simpsons' reference: "Excuse me waiter, I ordered a Zima, NOT emphysema!"

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Did they specify that it was from a smoke free home? Otherwise if the card is mint, it should be a positive.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Did they specify that it was from a smoke free home? Otherwise if the card is mint, it should be a positive.

I think it's the opposite that should be specified.
Smoke free home has no bearing on a cards condition.......but a card from a smoker does potentially alter the card. I know smell isn't usually thought of as part of somethings "condition"....but there's no doubt to many that is something that effects the value or even potentially wanting the item in the first place.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Even when I smoked I never understood why people smoked inside. It makes your house and your clothes smell like ass. Stop being lazy and walk 6 feet to the back door

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
JoshHamilton said:
Even when I smoked I never understood why people smoked inside. It makes your house and your clothes smell like ass. Stop being lazy and walk 6 feet to the back door

The OP didn't mean homeless men pole, We're talking Marlboros here good ole cowboy killers. Never received a card that smelled of ciggs, ass or anything foul.

EDIT: It is Jeff, So I would have to retract my 1st statement. Never know with these lawyers and what is there "thing".

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Marro said:
JoshHamilton said:

The OP didn't mean homeless men pole, We're talking Marlboros here good ole cowboy killers. Never received a card that smelled of ciggs, ass or anything foul.

I wasn't talking about homeless men. I was talking about backup dancers for Lady Gaga. Get it right, jerk

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
I had a similar problem when I bought a bulk lot of Bettis cards. It really helped to seal them in a bag with a couple dryer sheets. You could probably carefully sandwich the card between 2 sheets and put it in a ziploc bag for a few days or up to a week.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
JoshHamilton said:
Marro said:
JoshHamilton said:

I wasn't talking about homeless men. I was talking about backup dancers for Lady Gaga. Get it right, jerk

"Hey, Hunny wanna go see Lady Gaga next week my treat?....Really, But I thought you didn't like her?....Like I said, It will be a gift to you". What she doesn't know is after you get home that night. She is gonna be a case of Razor Letterman and you're Jeff N and we all know how that ends up.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Cards aren't damaged.....I normally place them in the open and after a month or so.....most of the smoke smell is gone. Even on The Bench...we have a few smokers! Best regards, David

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Wow just wow. I've decided I am going to starting farting into every bubble mailer I send out.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Smiling can discolor the card as well, after all the scent is from smoke particles being on the card. That being said, no negative if that didn't happen.

Latest posts