Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Konerko back on the Southside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
White Sox Reach Agreement With Paul Konerko

The White Sox reached a preliminary agreement with first baseman Paul Konerko on a three-year deal, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The deal is worth about $37.5MM, tweets SI's Jon Heyman. Konerko gets a slight raise, but still falls short of Adam Dunn's new deal with the Sox. GM Kenny Williams talked about moving on yesterday, but chairman Jerry Reinsdorf got involved.

Konerko, 35 in March, led all free agents with 39 home runs in 2010. He hit .312/.393/.584 in 631 plate appearances, perhaps the best season of his career. He's been Chicago's first baseman since '99.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Where he belongs.

I wonder if he hangs around/stays productive long enough to get to 500. He's currently at 365 so a good age 35 season gets him to 400. It's not out of the realm of possibility. That'd be pretty quiet 500 HRs.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
braden said:
Where he belongs.

I wonder if he hangs around/stays productive long enough to get to 500. He's currently at 365 so a good age 35 season gets him to 400. It's not out of the realm of possibility. That'd be pretty quiet 500 HRs.

It is where he belongs, but I am shocked the the O's did not make a run for him. They need a first basemen badly and he seemed like he was the answer. Glad for him though.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
jbone17 said:
braden said:
Where he belongs.

It is where he belongs, but I am shocked the the O's did not make a run for him. They need a first basemen badly and he seemed like he was the answer. Glad for him though.

Konerko did say he wanted to go back to the Sox and if that didn't happen he would want to play somewhere close to AZ where he lives.
Yes he does belong in Chicago and am really excited on how this team is looking now.

As far as the 500 HR's. I don't think hell make it. He might retire after the 3 years but if he did stay as a DH there could be a slight slight chance he would make it and it would deffinately be a Very Quiet 500.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
:D :D :D

I am extremely happy they came to terms. The last time I checked on it before the singing, Kenny Williams was saying that the contract talks stalled and they would have to pursue other options. Phew! It hurt enough when they and Frank Thomas parted ways, I didn't want that to happen again :lol: .

One of the behind the scenes things that really makes me high on the Sox is that Pierzynski and Dunn willingly cooperated to structure their contracts in a way that the Sox could pursue re-signing Konerko. A team that works together always does better. Dunn has also been very vocal that he'll do whatever the Sox want him to do, be it first base, DH, or anything else.

200fleerautographics.png

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Card Magnet said:
:D :D :D

I am extremely happy they came to terms. The last time I checked on it before the singing, Kenny Williams was saying that the contract talks stalled and they would have to pursue other options. Phew! It hurt enough when they and Frank Thomas parted ways, I didn't want that to happen again :lol: .

200fleerautographics.png

+1

I would expect to see a statue of PK on the concourse in the next 10 years! ;)

It's looking like Chris Sale will be moved into the bullpen for the majority of next year unless Peavy is a no go.
I hope Sale doesnt stay there long but they did the same thing with Buehrle when he first came up too.

With the Pierzynski and Dunn Deffering there contracts that really makes a loud statement that all they care about is winning!

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
As a borrowed Sox fan now that Dunn is there, I couldn't be happier about this move. Dunn finally gets to play with good hitters in front of him and behind him. What a treat for his potential production.

Members online