Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember the good ol' Day's of Collecting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ
Go back to the Days of ..say 1969. my friends and I were glad to pull a Mays ,Mantle, and all the great Vets. Rookies were Spoke material . Centering didn't matter , it was all about collecting. Flipping, gambling started young, and I was just glade to match for a Win. NO FAKES that I knew of.

I got back into the Hobby in 2000 after pulling a Game used Patch of Maddog at my 7/11. Never seen anything like it 1/10,000 packs. Then I pulled a Auto of Yount from the UD Hitters Club...that really go me going. Collecting was fun again started building up my collection. ...got back into Rookie collecting.......................

Then came the the bottom feeders, they use the hobby for their gain. I am a God fearing Man who will never take advantage of a naive individual. I'm selling off most of my collection, I'm tired of the BS, + need Cash flow. Then again I will still be busting a Case or two...just for fun...

So the moral or this story is Have FUN ,and watch your backs....

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
You're absolutely correct. It was also fun waiting for the next series of Topps to come out while you tryed to trade for the cards you needed for the last series.
DANNY

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Even go back to the good ole days of the mid-90s for me.

No (or, very, very few) autographs, nice inserts - and an attitude (for myself) that valued anything I could find of stars (base, inserts, rookies - anything).

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
bikerider60 said:
Go back to the Days of ..say 1969. my friends and I were glad to pull a Mays ,Mantle, and all the great Vets. Rookies were Spoke material . Centering didn't matter , it was all about collecting. Flipping, gambling started young, and I was just glade to match for a Win. NO FAKES that I knew of.

I got back into the Hobby in 2000 after pulling a Game used Patch of Maddog at my 7/11. Never seen anything like it 1/10,000 packs. Then I pulled a Auto of Yount from the UD Hitters Club...that really go me going. Collecting was fun again started building up my collection. ...got back into Rookie collecting.......................

Then came the the bottom feeders, they use the hobby for their gain. I am a God fearing Man who will never take advantage of a naive individual. I'm selling off most of my collection, I'm tired of the BS, + need Cash flow. Then again I will still be busting a Case or two...just for fun...

So the moral or this story is Have FUN ,and watch your backs....

Thanks for the post. The more complex the hobby becomes....and the less it becomes about collecting...the more bottom feeders will show up.

Transparency helps keep the bottom feeders at bay too.

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ
ThoseBackPages said:
bikerider60 said:
I'm selling off most of my collection

i was proud to be able to add a few of your pieces to my museum

Orosco1980ToppsPSA9.jpgQuisenberry1980ToppsPSA9.jpgBaines1981ToppsPSA9.jpg

Nice Cards, miss them... then again they were just in card prison. Glad you can enjoy them. I have been digging through cards I didn't even know I owned. It's better for a collector to enjoy, then just compile.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
bikerider60 said:
It's better for a collector to enjoy, then just compile.

This has got to be the FCB Forum quote of the year, IMHO. How many of us are in this to enjoy our cards and collect a favorite player or team, and how many are in it just to flip product for profit? I suppose one could argue that either way is a valid way to enjoy cards, but the latter tends to include the "bottom feeders" and scam artists out to make a buck at some else's expense.

- R.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I remember when cards were affordable. I remember I used to scrape togeter hange and ride my bike down to Walgreens and buy a few packs of cards.

Members online

No members online now.