Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tax Changes, 1099 reporting, and COMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
*Disclaimer: I am doing this real quick and this is my view on it. The facts I think are correct however, I have not researched this all the way yet*

So starting in 2011, Congress has passed a new law that requires paypal to send a 1099-K to any person who either gets more than $20000 per year OR has more than 200 transactions in which the person gets paid. This 1099-K also goes to the IRS. What does it mean? It means that all casual eBayers who sell more than 200 items will get one of these and have to report it on their tax return.

In essence, the IRS knows that they have been losing tons of potential taxes because of eBay for awhile but finally, they are doing something about it. This is going to hit the card collecting world hard in my opinion as casual ebayers (like myself) will be reluctant to list too much. I see eBay listings tanking badly.

Now, if I understand the law correctly, you have to be paid through PAYPAL. If you are looking to still sell cards, I believe a place like Check Out My Cards is going to be where you go. I have never sold there but from what I understand, when you sell a card, the money sits in a 'holding' account until you decide to cash it out. While many people aren't huge fans of the 20% COMC takes out when you cash out, I could see this as being a bit of a loophole in the law.

If you are a seller, be careful going forward. I would hate to hear someone post on here in January of 2012 saying, "WTF?! I got something from paypal saying I made $25,000!" because that could kill a person as far as income taxes. All of it would be self employment taxable, tacking a 15.3% S/E tax. On $25,000, we are talking about $3825 of additional tax!

I will be reading furthur into the law and will be happy to look into anything for y'all.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
tramers said:
everybody will adjust prices upward to cover .

I was more or less making this post for people here on this site so they don't end up getting screwed by Uncle Sam. This isn't going to affect businesses (like Jared's, who reports everything anyway) but eBay isn't all about businesses. Many go there just to make a few bucks.

I just don't want someone on here to get bent over because of this.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
For a fee of a few dollars you can also request a check from COMC, so the transaction wouldn't even go through Paypal.

...just saying.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
PhillyPuckNut said:
Jastermereel said:
For a fee of a few dollars you can also request a check from COMC, so the transaction wouldn't even go through Paypal.

...just saying.
Right, but COMC accepts payments through PayPal so expect some more fees there for selling if payment is made through PayPal.

...just saying.

...ok...

...just saying.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
PhillyPuckNut said:
Jastermereel said:

...just saying.
Right, but COMC accepts payments through PayPal so expect some more fees there for selling if payment is made through PayPal.

...just saying.

but you do not receive money from COMC until you ask for it. Basically, COMC gets the paypal transaction. Therefore, if you sell 300 cards in one day on COMC, you may show you have $600 but COMC actually has it. When you ask for the money, COMC paypals you in ONE transaction, not 300.

...just saying.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
From what I have read on here in various threads, you have to go over both threasholds and not just one..

I guess we'll see.. I'll look at my 2010 numbers, and if I need to, I'll get a business licens to offset the taxes..

PhillyPuckNut

Feb 10, 2010
Live from an undisclosed location
seahawks4ever said:
PhillyPuckNut said:
Jastermereel said:

...just saying.

...just saying.

but you do not receive money from COMC until you ask for it. Basically, COMC gets the paypal transaction. Therefore, if you sell 300 cards in one day on COMC, you may show you have $600 but COMC actually has it. When you ask for the money, COMC paypals you in ONE transaction, not 300.

...just saying.
Jesus fukking Christ.

Here's what I'm trying to say because you guys are looking past the fact and just want to say, just saying.

Because of how many people use COMC, we can all agree that they do more than 200 PayPal transactions a year. I've had between 7 and 10 PayPal transactions with COMC this year alone.

Now, if you sell $600 worth of cards on COMC, odds are they are not going to be all in one sale unless it's a couple high end cards. For the sake of arguement, say it's 20 cards over 10 transactions.

That's 10 transactions in 1 day. If they all use PayPal, that leaves 190 transactions, or $19,400, before COMC has to pay taxes.

I don't know how much COMC charges to list on the site. But do you honestly think that COMC isn't going to put more fees in place to cover those taxes? And since the taxes don't take affect if you're paying with PayPal, COMC paying you all at once has no bearing here.

What will probably happen is, COMC will charge a fee to buyers if they decide to pay using PayPal to cover taxes or they will raise their fees to sellers rather than use the, "You'll have to trust me on this," defense when it comes to each transaction.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
Pinbreaker said:
From what I have read on here in various threads, you have to go over both threasholds and not just one..

I guess we'll see.. I'll look at my 2010 numbers, and if I need to, I'll get a business licens to offset the taxes..

I could be looking at it wrong but from what I read, the exceptions are under $20,000 or under 200 transactions so you might be correct. Like I said, I was just tossing this out there in case anyone missed it.

*Gets up on soap box*

But you know, it won't be much longer and eventually, they will be going after everyone...

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
Well, there is a new regulation that begins next month and at least one processor is planning to cash in on it. The new regulation requires processors to file a form 1099-K with the IRS when a merchant’s gross sales exceed 200 transactions or $20,000 over the year.

http://mpctpublishing.com/blog/?author=1

There is not a ton of articles thus far that I have read that talk about the transactions. They all are focused on the $20,000 floor...

here is one from ebay:
Exception: Very small merchants won't be issued information returns. "Small" for this purpose means annual gross sales on merchant cards of no more than $20,000 or 200 or fewer transactions. In other words, reporting is required only if gross amounts for the year exceed $20,000 and there are more than 200 transactions.

http://discussions-neighborhoods.ebay.c ... 1300076084

I don't know if they mean either one or both needs to be under.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
if they want to charge taxes on my hobby "income" I think theres a valid arguement to claim my wax receipts as a loss :twisted:

these numbers are just tossed out for example:

sales 20000
wax 25000

loss of 5000 (and 20k in sales after busting 25K of wax would be almost unheard of)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
springfieldisotopes4 said:
if they want to charge taxes on my hobby "income" I think theres a valid arguement to claim my wax receipts as a loss :twisted:

these numbers are just tossed out for example:

sales 20000
wax 25000

loss of 5000 (and 20k in sales after busting 25K of wax would be almost unheard of)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

as long as you can show, under audit, that what you do is not a hobby, what you just said would work just fine.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
seahawks4ever said:
as long as you can show, under audit, that what you do is not a hobby, what you just said would work just fine.

all youd really need is a business license then (50 bucks for a privilege license where i live)