Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Youkilis signs 4yr/40 mil ext. with the Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
markakis8 said:
MAH-STAKE

Please explain how. 10 mil a year for a gold glove first baseman who hit .312 with 115 rbis and 29 homeruns. Yeah, sounds like a mistake to me.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Tomlinson21RB said:
Youk for $10 or Teix for $22.5?

Youk please...

As a huge Sox fan, Teixeira for 22.5.

Money is nothing to the Sox.

I'd rather have Teixeira and Youkilis, then Youkilis and Lowell.

(EDIT) I'm still in fan of the deal, but I am very hesitant when looking back, that last year was a career year for Youkilis, and I truly expect a regression to the mean from him. I would still be very happy getting a career .850-.900 OPS guy that plays gold glove defense.

I expect numbers of .290/23/95 this year.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Ha.

I just don't think Youk will ever come close to what he did last year. He's strictly a .280-15-75 guy. And with his BB's significantly dropping off each year, giving him a 4 year extension was a mistake.

He can play some good defense though. He can also nurture some baby birds in his goatee too.

Bosox3 said:
baseballguy350 said:
markakis8 said:
MAH-STAKE

Orioles fan. It makes sense. They hate how the Orioles don't play a home game against the Red Sox all year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
baseballguy350 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Youk for $10 or Teix for $22.5?

Youk please...

As a huge Sox fan, Teixeira for 22.5.

Money is nothing to the Sox.

I'd rather have Teixeira and Youkilis, then Youkilis and Lowell.

Money is something to the Sox when they have all these young guys coming up that they need to sign long term. Papelbon is going to want big money. They'll want to lock up Lester long term. They want to extend Bay as well.

Sure, I'd prefer Teix and Youk but thats 10 for Youk, 22.5+ for Teix, and 12.5 for Lowell for 2 starters. I'd rather them spend the money elsewhere (the guys I mentioned above).

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
markakis8 said:
Ha.

I just don't think Youk will ever come close to what he did last year. He's strictly a .280-15-75 guy. And with his BB's significantly dropping off each year, giving him a 4 year extension was a mistake.

He can play some good defense though. He can also nurture some baby birds in his goatee too.

Bosox3 said:
baseballguy350 said:
markakis8 said:
MAH-STAKE

Orioles fan. It makes sense. They hate how the Orioles don't play a home game against the Red Sox all year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you want to talk about BB's going down each year, how about batting average, home runs, and rbi going UP each year? Last year probably was probably his career year, but I don't expect a huge drop off.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
markakis8 said:
And with his BB's significantly dropping off each year, giving him a 4 year extension was a mistake.

The walks can decline all they want, as the OBP has gone up. Also his BABIP has stayed the same, so it's not a matter of balls finding holes. With a decrease in walks, there is an equal increase in OBP and OPS. Not a fan of the walks point if that's what you are basing your argument on.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Very happy to hear about this deal.

baseballguy350 said:
I truly expect a regression...I expect numbers of .290/23/95 this year.

I'll take those numbers any year (it wouldn't take much to hit the .300 mark,) especially with his defense. I don't believe he will be on the decline, either. Youk attended API last year, which seemingly helped him to stay relatively strong/consistent throughout the season. If he does the same this year, who knows? Maybe he could go after the MVP award again.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
pujolsmvp2005 said:
Now....If they can just land Prince Fielder like the rumor says they might, then its ALL OVER!!!

They need a big bat since Big Slopi is clearly done. No Manny declining Papi they need some punch

Members online