Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What pen to use? (updated 1/20/11)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
2mnovbk.jpg
I might (for the first time) have a chance to get a Clint Barmes signature while he is sitting down and not being crowded. I really want to get this piece signed (on his chest), but don't know what pen to use. I'm going to ask for a HUGE signature. Any suggestions?
xpzm68.jpg

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Re: What pen to use?

It was on the streets of downtown Denver during the 2006 season. It's about 8 feet tall.
I'll probably go with purple or black. Sharpie would work, but I'm hoping to find a thicker pen/marker.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota

17ROCKIES12 said:
It was on the streets of downtown Denver during the 2006 season. It's about 8 feet tall.
I'll probably go with purple or black. Sharpie would work, but I'm hoping to find a thicker pen/marker.

I guess that makes sense. They do that around Target Field and the Metrodome here.

I would go with Purple, Black would just get lost in there... Purple would have a little more eye appeal (at least I think).

Ask him to inscribe it with something cool since that is such a unique piece.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

I'm going to go with purple if I can get one.
I've thought about an inscription, or possibly a personalization.

tigsfan

Aug 15, 2008
Michigan

I wonder if a paint pen would work? That is what graphers use on hockey pucks as it gives a thicker, better auto on the puck. I do not know how that would work when you want a big signature like you said.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Is he going to be at the caravan or astros line this year? I need him as well but on a ball.

As for what kind of pen...I'd say black or silver. But...lets gets some other stuff out of the way. First off...is it like a nylon type of material(or like a tarp surface) or is it more of a fabric type of material? This will tell you what to use(pen type wise). If its smooth and like fabric...you can go with a magnum sharpie. The ones with the chisel tip. If its not..and its more like a tarp feel...I'd go with a paint pen simply to avoid what I call "feathering". Feathering is when the marker starts to skip so you have a bunch of light or completely unmarked spots in the signature. Also...if you want a specific type...best bet is to go to an art supply store.

Depending on what type of material it is...you may also face a little bleeding. Not sure how bad paint pen bleeds but I know sharpie will if its on the wrong material. Also...so you can be damn sure what color you really want...buy a sheet of projection paper...and then you can put some lines on it that are decent sized...maybe some scribble...and then you can color match it by holding it up to the desired spot. I do this mainly for programs and stuff that is really busy. If something is "really busy" there is a whole lot going on in the picture or background and too many colors involved for you to be able to easily tell what color to go with. Being able to color match it makes it a lot easier than guessing and then realizing afterwards that your guess was wrong.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Benson said:
Signed banners from the stadiums are always cool
Os-Fanfest-10-6.jpg
This one is signed with a black Sharpie

Nice piece but its pretty light. Maybe a bigger tip and maybe even a paint pen would have been better? I guess its the chance you take. You never know until after the finished product.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

It is a nylon/tarp material. I'll look for a paint pen.

I don't know if he will be doing the caravan. I'm hoping he will be a guest on Astroline sometime while I can attend.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Dude...good news is you will have a chance. Barmes will be in Austin on the 19th(which I can't go to) and also on the 20th in San Antonio. I might try to make that one but damn...this years astros caravan sucks. I'll miss Bags because of school but who cares...I am not driving to Oklahoma to get autographs of a guy I already have. I need him on several things still but that is way too damn far. I remember Alison Footer saying they were promoting their new minor league park out there.

But this is the first year they have had a lot of the same players at every single one. The last few years Blum and Deshaies plagued them pretty bad(by plagued them I mean they were at way too many signings). This year...its even worse. And the player selection sucks too. Most of these guys are easily gotten at the ball park or through astros line or were at several stops last year. I want some of these pitchers that are new. And Bill Hall! Bout the only guy I need is Lindstrom and Bogusevic from the one I might go to. I am glad I didn't save my vacation for this!

Linky: http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/fan_forum/caravan.jsp

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

Thanks for the link. I might see if a friend wants to go to Austin and then maybe San Antonio with me. It'll be tough without a car, and it being during the week.

Do you have any guesses as to which Fiesta they're referring to in Houston?

ignition

Jul 29, 2010

So for those of y'all who have to the Astros Caravan before, do they sell 8x10s or anything of that nature of the players beforehand? I'm stoked they'll be here in Cypress 1/15 (although I did get Bourn & Norris last year at the TriStar show) but not so stoked as to the player selection. I don't think I'll pick up any OMLBs for any of these guys, but I wouldn't mind getting some 8x10s.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

As to which Fiesta mart it is...I am not sure. I am assuming it will be the one over there off of 59 south(I know that doesn't help much...sorry). I have been to it before for a few signings but never baseball. If anything...try to email Allison Footer or hit her up on facebook or something.

As for your question Ignition....I am not sure. It really depends. In the past at maybe like two different Academy stores...they had some 8x10's for sale of one of the players who would be there. Photofile if I remember. But it was only for Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt. And if I remember right...one of the Academy stores was in Webster and the other one was off of I-10 since Oswalt was in Webster last year and Berkman was at the other. But normally...no. They will have a table set up with astros items that Academy normally carries as well as OMLB and mini bats and stuff of that nature. Nothing you won't normally see there every day of the week anyways. If you are doing 8x10's...better bring your own.

Oh...btw...they just traded Lindstrom so now...the only one I was going to is shot to hell! That sucks. This is one of the few times I think I will hit up Tristar instead. I guess after you have been doing this stuff for a few years you end up getting burned out because its always the same people. But the odd thing is, most of the guys I was getting at past caravans are all gone now. So why they don't throw some more of these new guys out there I don't know.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

predatorkj said:
As to which Fiesta mart it is...I am not sure. I am assuming it will be the one over there off of 59 south(I know that doesn't help much...sorry). I have been to it before for a few signings but never baseball. If anything...try to email Allison Footer or hit her up on facebook or something.

As for your question Ignition....I am not sure. It really depends. In the past at maybe like two different Academy stores...they had some 8x10's for sale of one of the players who would be there. Photofile if I remember. But it was only for Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt. And if I remember right...one of the Academy stores was in Webster and the other one was off of I-10 since Oswalt was in Webster last year and Berkman was at the other. But normally...no. They will have a table set up with astros items that Academy normally carries as well as OMLB and mini bats and stuff of that nature. Nothing you won't normally see there every day of the week anyways. If you are doing 8x10's...better bring your own.

Oh...btw...they just traded Lindstrom so now...the only one I was going to is shot to hell! That sucks. This is one of the few times I think I will hit up Tristar instead. I guess after you have been doing this stuff for a few years you end up getting burned out because its always the same people. But the odd thing is, most of the guys I was getting at past caravans are all gone now. So why they don't throw some more of these new guys out there I don't know.

Is that the one near Wheeler and Main?

That's too bad about Lindstrom. All of the good ones are far away. I'm still tempted to try to get Barmes. I'm sure I'll get him during the season, but I'm kinda anxious.

Are you going to ever go to the Astroline radio show?

BTW, back to the op. I'm gonna order a purple and silver pen from here:
http://markersupply.com./madebr.html

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

17ROCKIES12 said:
predatorkj said:

Is that the one near Wheeler and Main?

That's too bad about Lindstrom. All of the good ones are far away. I'm still tempted to try to get Barmes. I'm sure I'll get him during the season, but I'm kinda anxious.

Are you going to ever go to the Astroline radio show?

BTW, back to the op. I'm gonna order a purple and silver pen from here:
http://markersupply.com./madebr.html

No its not the one I am talking about. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out. Or I'll bother Allison again and ask her where it is! :lol:

Yeah...I went for Bourn and Pence at the radio show. Only bad thing is its always guys I already have. I guess its still a great thing to be able to get a free auto though. You really can't bitch about that. But it takes some of the fun away when you have the guy already on several things. For instance I got Pence to sign two programs a buddy gave me. I didn't really "need" them signed. I hadn't even really planned on it. But I had them and wanted to go so I could dig some info outta Allison. So I got him on those. Which brings my Pence auto count to like 15 auto'd (all certified )cards, 2 auto'd OMLB's , one auto'd bat and one auto'd mini helmet as well as a 16x20 in addition to the two programs(which happened to be from his rookie year).

I only normally go when I "need" an item signed. I have gotten picky lately about going and bringing something just to get something signed. Especially since most of them are out of my way. I have also gotten picky about buying specific things with the sole intent of getting them signed. Luckily I have always made good on my intent no matter the odds of me actually being able to get it signed but I hate feeling like I need to go get something when I already have the guy. It just starts to feel like work at that point. And Bagwell being in OK. really blows because I am trying to get all of his rookie cards signed IP. The only way I'd go is if I could hitch a ride, wouldn't miss school, and pretty much know for a fact that I'd be able to get at least half of them done. The first part is easy. The second two aren't.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Just wanted to add:

For those of you thinking of going and getting the guys in Ok., I think there will be a slew of guys from Dallas there. They have a big auto hound community up there and its a lot closer to them than it would be for those of us in and around Houston. I was thinking of this today because me and a buddy were thinking about it. I figured there wouldn't be many people up there who would care enough to go. Which would mean free pickings. But then I remembered that there are a ton of Dallas guys who do a lot of these free events. And they are probably figuring that not too many of the Houston guys will show up. Long story short...it might actually be more crowded than you'd think. Might want to keep that in mind if you do decide to go.

Sorry...not trying to turn this into a caravan thread. Just figured I'd share what me and a few others are thinking as of right now.

Members online