Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

if you could open one Hockey wax pack from the 80's......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
if you could open one Hockey wax (not rack, grocery, vending, nor cello) pack from the 1980's, which would it be, and why? (79/80 is not 80's ;) )

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Id probably go for 80/81 O-Pee-Chee. Pretty scarce packs. Rookies of Messier, Bourque, Gartner, Goulet. Gretzky 2nd year. Would be cool to pull a pack fresh card of one of these and go for a nice grade.

TurbosHockey

May 13, 2010
I would go with 80/81 as that set is jammed packed with rookies plus I am biased as I have the number 1 set on the PSA registry. ;o) I have opened many of these and there is nothing like seeing 30 year old cards fresh from wax.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
TurbosHockey said:
I would go with 80/81 as that set is jammed packed with rookies plus I am biased as I have the number 1 set on the PSA registry. ;o) I have opened many of these and there is nothing like seeing 30 year old cards fresh from wax.

NICE!

link it up! :)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Not too long ago, I opened a 1981 Topps Baseball cello box and was flat out stoked with the "flashback" of being a kid opening them. That said, 1980-81 would be the easiest choice for me because I still remember chasing the USA team cards.

hurrakaingvc

Nov 28, 2010
sebring, fl
88-89 topps. includes hull, shanahan, turgeon, nieuwendyk, and probert rookies as well as a card that made me say wow at the time (even though i already knew of the trade i just didn't think it was real) of gretzky holding up a kings jersey
516lDS7237L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
hurrakaingvc said:

not sure if you know this, but that Photo of Brett Hull is from when he was a Calgary Flame and the pic is in the Saddledome. Topps "photoshopped" the St Louis jersey over Brett.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
G $MONEY$ said:
hurrakaingvc said:

not sure if you know this, but that Photo of Brett Hull is from when he was a Calgary Flame and the pic is in the Saddledome. Topps "photoshopped" the St Louis jersey over Brett.

the term is "air brushed" ;)

they did it a LOT back in the day. think: '72 Topps Ryan

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
in fact, ive always wondered if the original version of this pic is him in his Kings jersey
(he was in 5 games with them in '72)

SmithBilly1973ToppsPSA8.jpg

if you look closely at the other players left pant leg, there seems to be a gold stripe

actually, i think the Topps "doctor" airbrushed both players

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
ThoseBackPages said:
in fact, ive always wondered if the original version of this pic is him in his Kings jersey

if you look closely at the other players left pant leg, there seems to be a gold stripe

ive actually wondered about this card myself in the past. The jerseys just don't look "real", so to speak. This would actually make a good topic, post pictures of cards that you believe have been "air brushed", lol

hurrakaingvc

Nov 28, 2010
sebring, fl
G $MONEY$ said:
hurrakaingvc said:

wow i did not. that is kinda cool although i wish they didnt change it i would have loved to have a hull flames card even if it said traded on it

hurrakaingvc

Nov 28, 2010
sebring, fl
ThoseBackPages said:

the answer may be to figure out who the other player is and see who's roster he was on in 72

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
hurrakaingvc said:
G $MONEY$ said:
hurrakaingvc said:

wow i did not. that is kinda cool although i wish they didnt change it i would have loved to have a hull flames card even if it said traded on it

Brett Hull actually did have a "RC" with the Flames that came out in 1987, as a regional issue that was given away at a local Quickie Mart in Calgary and area.

25kpsuf.jpg

hurrakaingvc

Nov 28, 2010
sebring, fl
G $MONEY$ said:
hurrakaingvc said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":327a3ee1]
hurrakaingvc said:

Brett Hull actually did have a "RC" with the Flames that came out in 1987, as a regional issue that was given away at a local Quickie Mart in Calgary and area.

25kpsuf.jpg[/quote:327a3ee1]
that is an awesome set!!! i used to have some local sets when i was a kid i wish i kept them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts