Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's New York Mets Top 10 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Interesting that they project Flores to be a left-fielder on the lineup card.

TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Jenrry Mejia, rhp
2. Wilmer Flores, ss
3. Cesar Puello, of
4. Matt Harvey, rhp
5. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of
6. Reese Havens, 2b
7. Lucas Duda, of/1b
8. Fernando Martinez, of
9. Aderlin Rodriguez, 3b
10. Brad Holt, rhp

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Wilmer Flores
Best Power Hitter Aderlin Rodriguez
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Brad Emaus
Fastest Baserunner ZeErika McQueen
Best Athlete Cesar Puello
Best Fastball Jenrry Mejia
Best Curveball Matt Harvey
Best Slider Jeurys Familia
Best Changeup Dillon Gee
Best Control Dillon Gee
Best Defensive Catcher Kai Gronauer
Best Defensive Infielder Wilfredo Tovar
Best Infield Arm Wilmer Flores
Best Defensive Outfielder Matt den Dekker
Best Outfield Arm Cesar Puello

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Catcher Josh Thole
First Base Ike Davis
Second Base Reese Havens
Third Base David Wright
Shortstop Jose Reyes
Left Field Wilmer Flores
Center Field Angel Pagan
Right Field Cesar Puello
No. 1 Starter Johan Santana
No. 2 Starter Jenrry Mejia
No. 3 Starter Matt Harvey
No. 4 Starter Mike Pelfrey
No. 5 Starter Jon Niese
Closer Bobby Parnell

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I still think that due to his age and level Flores should have been #1. I'm just not that big a believer in Mejia as a true #1 big #2.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
sheetskout said:
I still think that due to his age and level Flores should have been #1. I'm just not that big a believer in Mejia as a true #1 big #2.

Agreed, but when Mejia is on he has great stuff. I also believe Flores should be number 1, but Mejia is fine where he is also.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jaypers said:
Interesting that they project Flores to be a left-fielder on the lineup card.

Ben (Leland Grove): I couldn't help but notice you have Flores in LF on the lineup card. Is this the position that will get him to the Majors the quickest, and are the Mets planning to play him there in the near future?

Matthew Eddy: In order: Probably, and probably not. If we're being realistic about Wilmer Flores' future position, then it's going to be a corner position (because he lacks footspeed and quickness to play up the middle) and it's probably not going to be third base (because of David Wright). Some scouts thought Flores fit best at first base, but then he'd have to contend with Ike Davis and the Mets would be wasting his above-average throwing arm. For those reasons, I feel most comfortable projecting him as a corner outfielder, at least early in his career. Technically, his best future position might be third base. He's got the arm and his hands work on the infield--he's just not quick.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ThoseBackPages said:
Also, Cory Vaughn

Clooch (VT): I'm surprised that Cory Vaughn didn't sneak onto the back half of the top 10. What kept him out?

Matthew Eddy: RF Cory Vaughn had an outstanding pro debut, leading the New York-Penn League in slugging (.557) and OPS (.953) while ranking second with 14 homers. He has prototype right-field tools: above-average raw power, good arm, average speed and range. But as the son of a four-time all-star like Greg Vaughn, Cory has been on the prospect map since he was a teenager, but until suiting up for Brooklyn he hadn't ever put it all together. So while he's a fine prospect--in the Mets' Top 15 for sure--his longer track record cautions a wait-and-see approach, in my opinion. The most recent evidence is quite compelling, though, and Vaughn could make a jump straight to High-A next season, a la Kirk Nieuwenhuis in '09.

EDIT: Identity theft. This next one was not me. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Harvey isn't anywhere close to playing in the show. Wonder which moron thought this up.

JAYPERS (IL): Is it conceivable that Harvey could reach CitiField by late next summer?

Matthew Eddy: Maybe if Double-A Binghmaton plays a game there. Seriously, the Mets probably will begin RHP Matt Harvey in High-A and then move him to Double-A toward midseason if everything goes as expected. But a 2012 big league debut is not out of the question.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
darkman said:
Lol.. That's too funny... They might destroy your rep JP

...and they're not done yet. This next one also isn't me, but I'll take "fascinating" as a compliment regardless.

JAYPERS (IL): Player to must likely to hit 40 HR's in the Majors: Greg Halman or Fernando Martinez. Which one to you has been the bigger dissapointment ?

Matthew Eddy: Fascinating question. Somebody ought to plug them into a Strat-O-Matic lineup, bat them leadoff and give them 700 plate appearances to settle this question once and for all!

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
JAYPERS (IL): Player to must likely to hit 40 HR's in the Majors: Greg Halman or Fernando Martinez. Which one to you has been the bigger dissapointment ?

Matthew Eddy: Fascinating question. Somebody ought to plug them into a Strat-O-Matic lineup, bat them leadoff and give them 700 plate appearances to settle this question once and for all!

I know this wasnt JP either..... His questions are rarely fascinating .......

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
They should limit ppl to asking questions if they have a BA online account and are signed in as such.

Members online