Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contracts and MLB question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Kerry Wood is now added to the list of "could have gone to the Yankees for a lot more" guys which includes Cliff Lee. Back when the Red Sox had worked out a trade to acquire Alex Rodriguez before he went to New York, didnt MLB (maybe the players union?) step in and stop the deal because Rodriguez had higher offers elsewhere? How have 2 players signed for considerably less (Wood apparently had a 2 year/$10 million offer from the Yankees) money yet that ARod trade was shot down?

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Because Alex was already under contract and he would have voluntarily reduced his salary.

These guys are free to sign anywhere, sure the MLBPA probably hates it, but they aren't under any contract.

Plus there has been a new CBA agreed to since then and they might have made changes.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Hallsgator got it right.
ARod was going to give up money he was already due under contract.
I seen a quote from one of the union guys about the Cliff Lee signing. He basically stated as long as the players are making an informed choice, they don't care if they leave money on the table. Cliff Lee didn't leave that much on the table and in fact his average annual salary is larger with the Phils than with either of the Yankees or Rangers offers.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Rodriguez not coming to the sox had nothing to do with other offers considering he wasn't a free agent. The mlbpa rejected a new deal because he was willing to take a pay cut with nothing in return. I believe they changed the rules about this in the last cba. They want players to get maximum value because it increases the minimum salary as well as raise arbitration figures, both of which are focal points of the mlbpa

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Alright, so (technically) what would happen if a guy retires with 2 years left on his deal and 2-3 years later he wants to return to baseball. Is he still under contract with the team?

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
MallCopKJ said:
Alright, so (technically) what would happen if a guy retires with 2 years left on his deal and 2-3 years later he wants to return to baseball. Is he still under contract with the team?
if it is the same in MLB as it is in NFL then yes he is still under contract with the same team. and samhell got it right a lot of people forget that lee's annual salary is more in philly so in my mind he didnt leave anythign on the table and sometimes it isnt about money. if yankees fans spit on my wife i wouldnt sign there either

Members online

Latest posts