Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Clemens vs. Bonds...who burned the public more?

Who burned the public more?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, so now that McNamee is in Washington and the gathering stage for the Clemens perjury case is in full swing...who burned the public more?

Most recent discussion I have heard has claimed that the case against Clemens is more cut and dry due to the widely publicized statements Clemens made under oath, along with the claims made by Radomski and McNamee. Credible or not, McNamee's claims certainly have been validated on all accounts with the exception of Clemens himself admitting.

Bonds obviously has had a long drawn out case while the Feds have been building their case, and resubmitting for corrections, etc. But Bonds was always sort of the "bad guy" in the public's eye, yet Clemens portrayed the seemingly perfect family guy, competitor and "good guy" to many.

So, who burned the public more?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Clemens created his own mess, Bonds had outside forces bring him in. Clemens made a bigger spectacle out of trying to prove his innocence when it appears he actually was guilty.

Clemens by a landslide.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Frankly...I want both of these perjury cases to just end. I honestly think the Clemens case is fairly cut'n'dry considering how almost all things lead to it. Bonds was so discreet and indirect, and then admitting that he "unknowingly" took steroids, that his case is probably tougher to prove.

Bush...well, I figured since this time next week he'll be posting on here...we'll give him a last "hoorah".

If there is one lasting effect of Martha Stewart...it's seeking perjury convictions of famous people.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
"Who Cares"....The public & media are the one's whom have made the mess... I personally have more pressing & important things to worry about than pondering the possibility that an athlete used performance enhancing drugs & lied about it while on T.V. (The G.Bush option will probably be the popular vote as the media has made a villain out of him...the media is the ultimate form of "sheperd" & they steer thier "flock" wherever they choose...It is sad but true, & sooner rather than later, Obama will be the source of all of "our" problems). Just my 2-cents! :D

Edit: By choosing the "Who Cares" option I am not meaning anything against the OP creating this thread as it is a neat discussion idea; I just chose this option because I feel it is irrelevant when pertaining to my own life & thought process as none of these public figure's "burned" me! My opinion is that if someone allowed these individual's actions to get to them in this particular way ("burn" them) then that is entirely on them.... Just wanted to make that clear! :D

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Clemens...and I'm saying this behind a keyboard, the public is stupid anyway. They are going to believe whatever the media wants them to believe.

Clemens - once a great American baseball hero
Bonds - a lying, cheating fraud

Now they are both equals.

lets be honest no one got burned. we the fans got to see dominated pitching performances and monsterous homeruns. we had the race to 70 and saw the hammers record fall. if you base it on amusement how could it get any better? and dont say it tainted the game because the game was built up from hooligans and brawlers. so i voted who cares because i was unsure if it was george h.w. bush or just plain ole w.

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
Fans lost out by having to deal with this crap.

After the Magic of the Homerun Race - Homerun record

Clemens coming home to Houston to lead them to the postseason.

Bonds : problem is MORE than one witness. His trainer never turned on him. BALCO had documentation/progress on Bonds usage. Giambi(Both of them) Sheffield ...+ more went to the fountain of youth known as HGH.

Clemens : on the otherhad has basically one guy - McNamee .

Both have been blasted in the media. I think BONDS not talking is his plan because I think more people have access to what he did - v.s. Clemens who really only has one guy to deny he used. That is why he - for whatever reason - started talking.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but i don't see Clemens getting blasted and attacked nearly as much as Bonds did. He was called horrible names, had is acheivments derided, and will forever have his place in history stained.

This may have happened for 2 reasons: 1) Bonds came first and was the biggest name 2) Bonds was going after one of the most covetted records in all of sports.

I'm suprised we haven't heard form guys like Steven A. Smith and Sheff about this being a race issue.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I can't wait to make a poll and put this guy in it.
[youtube:ju5gf9ip]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5R6kVry4_c[/youtube:ju5gf9ip]
[youtube:ju5gf9ip]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4[/youtube:ju5gf9ip]

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
MattinglyAlexander said:
I can't wait to make a poll and put this guy in it.
[youtube:3in5uid4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5R6kVry4_c[/youtube:3in5uid4]
[youtube:3in5uid4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4[/youtube:3in5uid4]
What would that poll entail?

Obama has the same "free pass" that the new Lions coach has...it's fairly easy to improve on an 0-16 record.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think Clemens burned us the quickest but Bonds overall burned us the most. If that makes any sense :? . I also just want both these cases to end as it's just bad for baseball overall.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Obama has the same "free pass" that the new Lions coach has...it's fairly easy to improve on an 0-16 record.

:lol:

To answer your question: MLB

I love how MLB intentionally ignored a decade of steroid use, enacted no steroid policy, reaped all of the benefits of steroid use (in the form of increased attendance after the baseball strike), continues to reap all of the benefits of steroid use, and yet wants to throw all of the players who helped them get there under a bus.

Players are overwhelmingly competitive, it's how they made the big leagues in the first place. If Jordan thinks he can take 2 extra steps and get away with it, he's going to do it every single time. If Bonds thinks he can take steroids and get away with it, he's going to do it. If Ken Griffey Jr. dives for a ball, traps it, but the umpire incorrectly calls the batter out, is he going to correct the umpire? No. You can call it a lack of integrity. I call it competitiveness. You must enact a formal steroid policy beyond simply federal government laws with extra penalties in the form of large fines or suspensions. This is what every other league had done...except MLB.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Comparing a President to a football coach? Right, because it's always THAT coach. Not the coach before nor after, not the players, not that the other team knows the playbook... It's the coach!

Members online

Latest posts