Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wanted to share one of my prized possessions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Story behind the item.

As a senior, I made a deal with my mother that if I got straight A's my senior year (1999) that she would send me to Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame induction. This was the first year that I actually knew of/watched the inductees (Nolan Ryan, George Brett, and Robin Yount).

Everything was going smoothly until the second trimester of school, when I took calculus. Unfortunately, I didn't really excel in that, and the straight A's came to an end.

I was pretty disappointed in myself for not accomplishing my goal.

Graduation came and as one of my gifts, I got this book:

scan0001.jpg

I really liked reading about the players and was happy with the gift.

In 2000, one of my friends told me about the Bob Feller Museum and the fact that they had HOFers doing autographs there.

My first autograph was the late, great Bob Feller. he was having a signing with Tommy Lasorda and I only had enough for 1 autograph, so I decided on Mr. Feller. I got to meet both of them and shake their hands. And I had Mr. Feller sign my book:

scan0002.jpg

Then in 2002, I got Ralph Kiner's autograph, which I got on his picture:

scan0012.jpg

And Ozzie Smith. That was the coolest because I got to ask him how he liked being on the Simpsons.

Then I got Bill Mazeroski's autograph. It was at a card show held at the Van Meter high school.

scan0011.jpg

After that, I got the great Yogi Berra, with COA from the Bob Feller Museum
scan0013.jpg
scan0017.jpg

I then got Luis Aparicio at the Summer 2003 Sun Times Show in Chicago
scan0019.jpg

The last auto I got in the book was January 2006, Mr. Rod Carew, with the ticket stub

scan0021.jpg
scan0022.jpg

I had an opportunity to get Nolan Ryan's autograph for free (a guy I work with hunts with him), but I had to ship the book to him, and I just couldn't bring myself to let the book out of my sight, as it has special meaning for me.

The cool thing is I KNOW that each of these autographs is authentic, as I personally acquired each of them.

This is going to be a great item to hand down to my boys and I look forward to adding many more autographs to the book.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long read.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
tonsofcommons said:
Story behind the item.

As a senior, I made a deal with my mother that if I got straight A's my senior year (1999) that she would send me to Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame induction. This was the first year that I actually knew of/watched the inductees (Nolan Ryan, George Brett, and Robin Yount).

Everything was going smoothly until the second trimester of school, when I took calculus. Unfortunately, I didn't really excel in that, and the straight A's came to an end.

I was pretty disappointed in myself for not accomplishing my goal.

Graduation came and as one of my gifts, I got this book:

scan0001.jpg

I really liked reading about the players and was happy with the gift.

In 2000, one of my friends told me about the Bob Feller Museum and the fact that they had HOFers doing autographs there.

My first autograph was the late, great Bob Feller. he was having a signing with Tommy Lasorda and I only had enough for 1 autograph, so I decided on Mr. Feller. I got to meet both of them and shake their hands. And I had Mr. Feller sign my book:

scan0002.jpg

Then in 2002, I got Ralph Kiner's autograph, which I got on his picture:

scan0012.jpg

And Ozzie Smith. That was the coolest because I got to ask him how he liked being on the Simpsons.

Then I got Bill Mazeroski's autograph. It was at a card show held at the Van Meter high school.

scan0011.jpg

After that, I got the great Yogi Berra, with COA from the Bob Feller Museum
scan0013.jpg
scan0017.jpg

I then got Luis Aparicio at the Summer 2003 Sun Times Show in Chicago
scan0019.jpg

The last auto I got in the book was January 2006, Mr. Rod Carew, with the ticket stub

scan0021.jpg
scan0022.jpg

I had an opportunity to get Nolan Ryan's autograph for free (a guy I work with hunts with him), but I had to ship the book to him, and I just couldn't bring myself to let the book out of my sight, as it has special meaning for me.

The cool thing is I KNOW that each of these autographs is authentic, as I personally acquired each of them.

This is going to be a great item to hand down to my boys and I look forward to adding many more autographs to the book.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long read.

That's awesome... and the best part is, your story is not even close to being done. You've got blank pages for the new class of HOFers, and you can still try to get the living ones on their pics. I would recommend documenting everything for posterity - taking pics of the players as they sign....not for future value, but it'd be neat to have that picture.

Again, awesome piece.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Eddie nice stuff I love Ozzie's auto one of the best around it will be a nice
item when you are done

Jeff N STOP quoting long picture posts I hate that ::facepalm:: :benson:

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, I talked to guy and told him I just couldn't do it and he understood and said that he may just have to figure out a way to get me down there some time

:shock: :eek:

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Eddie thanks for sharing such an amazing piece and for the story. the Kiner and Maz auto's are my favorite.

what did Ozzie say about being on The Simpsons?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
You should come up to Twinsfest this year, as I know Yount, Killebrew and Molitor should all be there, according to bobfellermuseum.org and the twins site.

In past years, Fergie Jenkins has been there with players doing signings too, so you may be able to knock a few others off the HOF list.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
That's awesome Eddie! Great story. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing updates when you add more signatures. Very cool project and good luck.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Before the recession I was traveling IA and always asked myself why I didn't stop when I saw the Bob Feller Museum sign.

Nice piece.

Members online

Latest posts