Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chrome A Carcinogen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Uh oh...how do they make chrome?

"WASHINGTON (AFP) – A US environmental group has found that drinking water in 35 American cities contains hexavalent chromium, a probable carcinogen, The Washington Post reported Sunday.

...A widely used industrial chemical until the early 1990s, hexavalent chromium still used in some industries, such as in chrome plating and the manufacturing of plastics and dyes..." :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/healthusenvironmentpollutionwater

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
My mother is a biochemist who is a professor of public heath at a major institute of higher learning. I will ask her today and get back to everyone to see if it is safe to collect.

Stay tuned

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
For a chemical to be harmful it has to get into you body.
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

The hexavalent Chromium is harmless once it is in solid form because therte is no way for it to enter your body. If it is real chrome the workers at the factories might have some worries but as the end user they are completly harmless.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
72skywalker said:
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

The hexavalent Chromium is harmless once it is in solid form because therte is no way for it to enter your body. If it is real chrome the workers at the factories might have some worries but as the end user they are completly harmless.

This is a bit of a joke, but have you opened Bowman Chrome before? It's like they're covered in cocaine.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
72skywalker said:
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

DAMN YOU WHOEVER TOLD ME THAT THE RED REFRACTOR I PULLED SMELLED LIKE STRAWBERRIES!!!

:::shakes fist:::

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
pigskincardboard said:
72skywalker said:
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

This is a bit of a joke, but have you opened Bowman Chrome before? It's like they're covered in cocaine.

I highly dought that the "cocaine" is the chrome. It is regulated as a hazardous waste and besides, it would not be floating about the plant like that where is can wash down drains or be emitted into the atmosphere and be allowed to be breathed in by the employees. That powder is probably something else.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
72skywalker said:
I highly dought that the "cocaine" is the chrome. It is regulated as a hazardous waste and besides, it would not be floating about the plant like that where is can wash down drains or be emitted into the atmosphere and be allowed to be breathed in by the employees. That powder is probably something else.

Doubtful.

This is why packs of 4 chrome cards cost $5 MSRP.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
scotty21690 said:
72skywalker said:
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

DAMN YOU WHOEVER TOLD ME THAT THE RED REFRACTOR I PULLED SMELLED LIKE STRAWBERRIES!!!

The schnazzberries taste like schnazzberries!!!!!!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ArtVandelay said:
scotty21690 said:
72skywalker said:
ingestion
injection
inhalation
absorbtion

The schnazzberries taste like schnazzberries!!!!!!

Thanked!

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
I am guessing I should get tested for ****** cancer now since I have been wiping my arse with wasted prospect stashes starting with 2004 BCDP and working my way to the present.

Why cards? Well, I might as well recycle, right? Plus, it helps to reduce clutter around the house.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
muchuckwagon said:
I am guessing I should get tested for ****** cancer now since I have been wiping my arse with wasted prospect stashes starting with 2004 BCDP and working my way to the present.

Why cards? Well, I might as well recycle, right? Plus, it helps to reduce clutter around the house.
Hopefully none of them had BGS 9.5 corners... :oops:

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
scotty21690 said:
muchuckwagon said:

Hopefully none of them had BGS 9.5 corners... :oops:

Sticker autographs from Sterling make great band-aids.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
As a (organic) chemist, I can tell you pretty soundly that if it were actual chromium used in the cards that it's harmless as mentioned earlier. Also, the oxidation state of the chrome would be zero, not 6 as it is in "hexa"valent chromium. The "zero" oxidation state of a metal is the ground state where it is just the metal itself. Once it's oxidized, it becomes much more water soluble but is a dark powder (think when iron rusts, it is oxidized). Chromium in the zero state is a shiny metal, much like all the chrome bumpers that used to be on cars.

And as an aside, try finding ANY place to chrome a car part these days. The process is electrolytic (pass electricity through the metal part you want coated in a bath of chromium in a higher oxidation state) and no one wants to deal with the regulations and potential toxicity of the process.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
D-Lite said:
As a (organic) chemist, I can tell you pretty soundly that if it were actual chromium used in the cards that it's harmless as mentioned earlier. Also, the oxidation state of the chrome would be zero, not 6 as it is in "hexa"valent chromium. The "zero" oxidation state of a metal is the ground state where it is just the metal itself. Once it's oxidized, it becomes much more water soluble but is a dark powder (think when iron rusts, it is oxidized). Chromium in the zero state is a shiny metal, much like all the chrome bumpers that used to be on cars.

And as an aside, try finding ANY place to chrome a car part these days. The process is electrolytic (pass electricity through the metal part you want coated in a bath of chromium in a higher oxidation state) and no one wants to deal with the regulations and potential toxicity of the process.

Wow, great explanation. I was worried about people setting them on fire after something bad happened ;)

Members online