Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I trade Hellickson? EDIT: I traded him.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I have a been in talks about a trade in my fantasy baseball league. Im trying to sure up my keepers for the upcoming season.

Would trading Hellickson in a deal like this be worth the time.

I offered a deal like this:

Dan Uggla
Ian Stewart
Eric Hosmer

for

Paul Konerko
Casey McGahee
Elvis Andrus
Dexter Fowler

The guys first said that Andrus would take alot. He said take out Stewart, Hosmer, Fowler and Andrus and where do we stand? I told him I really wanted Andrus in that deal to take the place of Tulo which I am trading away. He doesnt know that, but I am. He said I would have to add in Hellickson for that deal to go.

So do I move Hellickson to get the deal I wanted or should I keep him and get the smaller deal? Im not really sold on Hellickson(cause I know nothing bout him) and there is crap for SS coming up in the auction. I am taking CC, Lester and Bumgarner into the auction with me.

Any help would be great.

~AJ

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Re: Should I trade Hellickson?

Hope you're getting something nice for Tulo! But I'd add Hellickson to get Andrus. Just my opinion.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010

DWright5 said:
Hope you're getting something nice for Tulo! But I'd add Hellickson to get Andrus. Just my opinion.

pitching is pretty easy to find speedy shortstops are not do it

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL

DWright5 said:

This is the other deal.

Mark Teixiera
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Madison Bumgarner

for

Troy Tulowitzki
Wilmer Flores
Jesus Montero

That allows me to trade Uggla to get Konerko, McGahee, Andrus and Fowler. I know that Jesus is a beast ect. ect., but I want to win now not wait for prospects to come up and getting Santana didn't really feel like a huge down grade.

~AJ

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010

ajbraves25 said:
DWright5 said:

This is the other deal.

Mark Teixiera
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Madison Bumgarner

for

Troy Tulowitzki
Wilmer Flores
Jesus Montero

That allows me to trade Uggla to get Konerko, McGahee, Andrus and Fowler. I know that Jesus is a beast ect. ect., but I want to win now not wait for prospects to come up and getting Santana didn't really feel like a huge down grade.

~AJ

you did really well in the other trade.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009

So you're going to be trading these away:

Troy Tulowitzki
Wilmer Flores
Jesus Montero
Dan Uggla
Ian Stewart
Eric Hosmer
Jeremy Hellickson

for these:

Mark Teixiera
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Madison Bumgarner
Paul Konerko
Casey McGahee
Elvis Andrus
Dexter Fowler

I'd be happy with that. I'm more of a fan of established players anyway. It seems I'm always losing when banking on young guys.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL

DWright5 said:
So you're going to be trading these away:

Troy Tulowitzki
Wilmer Flores
Jesus Montero

Dan Uggla
Ian Stewart
Eric Hosmer
Jeremy Hellickson

for these:

Mark Teixiera
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Madison Bumgarner

Paul Konerko
Casey McGahee
Elvis Andrus
Dexter Fowler

The deal in Red is done. Im still working with the other guy to get the other players. Now he is balking. I agreed to add in Hellickson, now he is saying no not in a deal like that. He wont make up his mind. It might just be Konerko and McGahee for Uggla.

~AJ

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009

Still not too bad getting Konerko and Mcgahee for Uggla. Along with what's already done. Hope you can fill your SS spot with someone good yet.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL

DWright5 said:
Still not too bad getting Konerko and Mcgahee for Uggla. Along with what's already done. Hope you can fill your SS spot with someone good yet.

I have Furcal on my roster, just not real big on making him a keeper, but if I have too...

~AJ

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx

ajbraves25 said:
The deal in Red is done. Im still working with the other guy to get the other players. Now he is balking. I agreed to add in Hellickson, now he is saying no not in a deal like that. He wont make up his mind. It might just be Konerko and McGahee for Uggla.

~AJ

I'd keep Uggla and shop elsewhere. In my opinion... (and I don't liek Uggla), but I wouldn't swap him unless I was getting a solid player in return. There's just not a lot of Middle infield options that have 4 straight years of 30+ homers. You know what you get with him. Given that Elvis Andrus has batted .265 for two consecutive years. Unless that guy was badly in need of Stolen bases, he should've been willing to work that deal with you. Andrus to Uggla is a pretty fair fantasy swap... probably even a step down for you considering that Uggla has hit for more runs, RBI, HRs, and sadly even a higher average than Andrus last year...

You are way more likely to end up with the Konerko from 2007, 2008, and 2009... than the Konerko from his 2010 contract year....

In terms of McGahee, I'm not a big believer in a 28 year old who had a breakout... generally... 27 is when hitters peak... it's not a good sign when a player has his first real year at 28. Mix in that he only batted over .275 only twice in the minors.. .I'd call last year the best he has to offer.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL

Well three deals in the books and here is the total damage. I know that on the surface the second trade doesnt look as good, but it got me 2 keepers. Players I recieve are listed first.

Deal #1

Mark Teixiera
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Madison Bumgarner
(3rd round pick)

for

Troy Tulowitzki
Wilmer Flores
Jesus Montero
(2nd round pick)

I get 4 guys I can play right now and really don't take much of a cap hit.

Deal #2

Paul Konerko
Casey McGehee

for

Dan Uggla
Eric Hosmer
Jeremy Hellickson

Francisco Liriano
(1st round pick)

for

Martin Prado
Ian Stewart
(4th round pick)

So in total here is what I am shipping out major league guys blue followed by minor league guys red:

Troy Tulowitzki
Martin Prado
Ian Stewart
Dan Uggla

------------------
Jesus Montero
Eric Hosmer
Jeremy Hellickson
Wilmer Flores

Here is what I am getting in return major league guys blue followed by minor league guys red:

Mark Teixiera
Francisco Liriano
Carlos Santana
Rickie Weeks
Paul Konerko
Casey McGehee

---------------------
Madison Bumgarner

I basically got 7 Major League guys with Bumgarner already up for 4 Major League guys and 4 prospects and I only take on $8 in salary. I also traded away my 2nd round pick (#22 overall) and my 4th round pick (#46 overall) and getting a 1st round pick (#8 overall) and a 3rd round pick (#34 overall).

I will have the following picks in the prospect draft:
2 in 1st round (#3 and #8 overall)
0 in 2nd round
2 in 3rd round (#27 and #34 overall)
0 in 4th round
1 in 5th-8th rounds. (#s 51, 70, 75, 96 overall)

Those numbers could change because not everyone will have as many picks as I do. Some may only draft til the 4th round.

Good day in my book.

~AJ

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
People overrate the value of prospects in keeper leagues.

The best time to get them is after they have a mediocre season. Look at freakin Tommy Hanson and Brett Anderson, you could get them for cheap (comparatively, obviously) and you get the feeling both of them are primed for 3rd in Cy Young Votes.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
pigskincardboard said:

The best time to get them is after they have a mediocre season. Look at freakin Tommy Hanson and Brett Anderson, you could get them for cheap (comparatively, obviously) and you get the feeling both of them are primed for 3rd in Cy Young Votes.

So how would you rate the day overall?

Just curious

~AJ

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
ajbraves25 said:
pigskincardboard said:

Just curious

~AJ

Oh, I'm a stats goof. I'd say that 75% of keeper leagues don't make it past 2 years, so a lot of the trades that look great on paper eat crap. It's also impossible to tell without league size, and waiver wire replacement players.

With all that jazz said, it looks like you did well. You can almost always find grade b prospects that produce to the level of someone like flores or montero. They may not be sexy but combine those guys with the Carlos Pena and Adrian Gonzalez of the world and your good to go.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
pigskincardboard said:
ajbraves25 said:
pigskincardboard said:

Just curious

~AJ

Oh, I'm a stats goof. I'd say that 75% of keeper leagues don't make it past 2 years, so a lot of the trades that look great on paper eat crap. It's also impossible to tell without league size, and waiver wire replacement players.

With all that jazz said, it looks like you did well. You can almost always find grade b prospects that produce to the level of someone like flores or montero. They may not be sexy but combine those guys with the Carlos Pena and Adrian Gonzalez of the world and your good to go.

This will be year 7 in 2011. League started in 2005. We expanded to 12 teams last season. $260 cap room at auction. $300 total cap to start the season. 24 active players and 5 bench. The extra $40 is for waiver claims or prospect bring ups. FA/Waiver guys are $10 and prospects are $5. This will be my 3rd season and I love it! I have the #3 overall pick in the upcoming prospect draft and I will have 8 picks total. Harper will go #1 and the guy at #2 said he wants to take Michael Pineda #2 overall, so there is a chance that Trout could fall into my lap at #3. I surely hope so!

Offseason schedule:
Trade deadline Jan 22
Keeper deadline Jan 29
Minor league draft Feb 11
Auction in March then a few days later waiver claims come into affect to round out our rosters.

~AJ

Jan 15, 2009
ajbraves25 said:
pigskincardboard said:
ajbraves25 said:
pigskincardboard said:

Just curious

~AJ

This will be year 7 in 2011. League started in 2005. We expanded to 12 teams last season. $260 cap room at auction. $300 total cap to start the season. 24 active players and 5 bench. The extra $40 is for waiver claims or prospect bring ups. FA/Waiver guys are $10 and prospects are $5. This will be my 3rd season and I love it! I have the #3 overall pick in the upcoming prospect draft and I will have 8 picks total. Harper will go #1 and the guy at #2 said he wants to take Michael Pineda #2 overall, so there is a chance that Trout could fall into my lap at #3. I surely hope so!

~AJ
Lemme know if you guys ever need an extra team.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
So here is what my roster will look like in 2 days barring a rash of vetos

Carlos Santana C $5
Mark Teixeira 1B $41
Rickie Weeks 2B $5
Casey McGehee 3B $7
Paul Konerko 1B/CI $3
Martin Prado 2B/MI $3
Jay Bruce OF $5
Vernon Wells OF $9
Jon Lester SP $11
CC Sabathia SP $28
$117

That leaves me with $143 to use at auction to buy 14 players. An average of 10.21. I plan on bringing up Bumgarner so that is one spot I dont have to draft so actually that is 13 players to buy with $143 at an average of $11.

I have a standing offer of Franciso Liriano for Martin Prado. I would add $5 in salary and my average would still be $10.61 per player. What do you think about that? I know Prado is good, but Liriano is a 200K pitcher.

~AJ

Latest posts