Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pitching Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ethanbryer

Jun 22, 2010
So. Missouri
Right now we are lifting weights and throwing indoors getting ready for the season,
im a freshman so this is my first year playing serious baseball.
when we throw indoors all we do is pitch, now i can throw a strike, and i can throw at max 60-65? maybe.
but i cant keep it consistent, i can throw about 2-3 good ones, then throw 10 bad ones. i dont get what im doing wrong. any tips from your experiences.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
first keep mechanics you are comfortable with don't do too much as having a high leg kick a small one works fine as well, keep your body perpendicular to the catcher with your shoulders square...when in your leg kick don't focus on one spot just try and hit an area when you release that is when you want to pinpoint your location...don't squeeze the ball but don't let it fall out of your hand...keep a strong mental game that is really key

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
When I played ball in HS my coach gave me a book called "How to Pitch Like a Pro" by Braves Pitching Coach Leo Mazzone. Goes over a lot of grips and some of the mental things along with suggested workouts I believe... Its ~$10 or less on Amazon, might help out.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
There are a few mechanics that need to be in place to throw a strike (or at least throw it where you want it). I play Division II college baseball and we are drilled about specific parts of the pitching motion that need to be correct.

First, work on balancing your leg kick. This is one of the most important things. Try throwing at about 60% and pause for 2 seconds on your leg kick. This will help the muscle memory to remain balanced.

Second, make sure your "push" foot (Right it you are a righty) is flat on the ground and stable. Too many pitchers will lift up their heel the slightest bit and it will cause the ball to sail high. Also, make sure it is not moving, or wobbling back-and-forth as this will cause balancing issues as well.

Third, keep your shoulder in. If your front shoulder (left if you are a righty) flies open, this will cause the ball to miss your target. Your throwing shoulder will drag and create problems with your mechanics and to try and counter this, you will try to self-correct and ultimately, miss the target.

Having someone to watch these things is important. Get a friend, coach, parent to just stand behind you and watch for the foot and shoulder. Long-toss will help your velocity. It is very important but will not help you throw a strike. DO NOT AIM THE BALL, just throw it. Too many pitchers try and be perfect with their location and miss their spot in the process.

Also, RUN RUN RUN! One of the best things for you. If you ever feel pain in your arm, it is lactic acid build up from the constant small tearing of muscle. Running will increase heart rate and pump the acid out of your shoulder or elbow. It also will increase endurance and stamina.

Sorry for the long read but these things helped me to recruitment and scholarship money and also a fun ride along the way. Take it as far as you can and enjoy it to the fullest. Nothing beats the feeling of dominating a hitter.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Sounds like your having a problem with mechanics which is the result of a poor core system.

Look on Ebay for weighted baseballs. They usually come in a lot of 3 to 6 but you will not need them all. Take a 3, 4, and 5 once ball.

Then do the following with regular baseball at about 60% of what you can throw:

1. Three minutes of throwing at 60-feet
2. Three minutes of throwing at 90-feet
3. Three minutes of throwing at 120-feet
4. One minute of throwing back at 60-feet again

Then with a weighted baseball:
1. 6 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet
2. 4 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet
3. 5 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet

Then with a regular baseball, soft toss about 20 feet for about 20 minutes, you will notice that this is difficult to do for the first three days after the weight baseball session. Eventually this will make your rotator cuff stronger, define your release point, and increase stamina.

If you cant afford weighted baseballs, you can use a tennis ball, a softball, and a football.

My brother in law went to Perfectgame showcase and didnt top 76 and went back after 6 weeks of this and top 84 three times.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
Long toss as much as you can. Run a lot (helps stamina and endurance). Also, don't get into any funky deliveries and motions. This is how I hurt my arm because I was throwing 3/4th and pretty much destroyed tendons in my elbow. I also suggest when doing long toss, throw like your throwing a change up. You'll be surprised how well it helps you.

sportzluvr1

Jan 16, 2009
19braves77 said:
Sounds like your having a problem with mechanics which is the result of a poor core system.

Look on Ebay for weighted baseballs. They usually come in a lot of 3 to 6 but you will not need them all. Take a 3, 4, and 5 once ball.

Then do the following with regular baseball at about 60% of what you can throw:

1. Three minutes of throwing at 60-feet
2. Three minutes of throwing at 90-feet
3. Three minutes of throwing at 120-feet
4. One minute of throwing back at 60-feet again

Then with a weighted baseball:
1. 6 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet
2. 4 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet
3. 5 oz. 20 throws @ 70 feet

Then with a regular baseball, soft toss about 20 feet for about 20 minutes, you will notice that this is difficult to do for the first three days after the weight baseball session. Eventually this will make your rotator cuff stronger, define your release point, and increase stamina.

If you cant afford weighted baseballs, you can use a tennis ball, a softball, and a football.

My brother in law went to Perfectgame showcase and didnt top 76 and went back after 6 weeks of this and top 84 three times.

Worst advice to give to a young arm. Maybe use weighted baseballs when you develop more and you're older, but right now stay away from it.

-Gauge.

Jan 15, 2009
You obviously aren't a power pitcher, so you should work a lot on command throwing long toss and bullpen as well as your secondary pitches.

I am the same age as you and I use a weighted ball to throw, however I am a lot stronger than most average 14 year olds. I am no longer a pitcher though, I play 3B and OF...occasionally 2B if we need one but I am too tall to play 2B. Work on the speed it helps a ton especially when you have power, I know.

Edit: You should also try the P90x for your abs does wonders and has made my core a ton better + a six pack ;)

sportzluvr1

Jan 16, 2009
GiantsSuperCollector said:
You obviously aren't a power pitcher, so you should work a lot on command throwing long toss and bullpen as well as your secondary pitches.

I am the same age as you and I use a weighted ball to throw, however I am a lot stronger than most average 14 year olds. I am no longer a pitcher though, I play 3B and OF...occasionally 2B if we need one but I am too tall to play 2B. Work on the speed it helps a ton especially when you have power, I know.

Edit: You should also try the P90x for your abs does wonders and has made my core a ton better + a six pack ;)

Oh hey Mr. Harper....... ::facepalm::

:grouphug:

-Gauge.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
If you want to throw a strike, remember this simple phrase:

"See the target, hit the target"

Your body will know what to do to get the ball there. The more you think about where you want to throw it the less likely it is to end up there. the more you think about your motion or landing while pitching the more likely you are to change your arm slot or motion slightly or land with your hips open or not follow through completely. Any slight change in delivery
can cause you to miss your spot entirely and can result in mistake that a good hitter will take advantage.

Pitching is fun but can be a mental battle with yourself when you start thinking too much.

Carlos

Jan 15, 2009
sportzluvr1 said:
GiantsSuperCollector said:

Oh hey Mr. Harper....... ::facepalm::

:grouphug:

-Gauge.
...I was simply stating facts I am not one of those godly kids who can play baseball but I am above average. I showed that in my freshman season last year.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I agree with the suggestions of running, doing a core workout, and long tossing. Go get a good book or video displaying proper pitching mechanics and work on yours. I'd also try and throw from a mount to a friend and concentrate on throwing strikes three times a week. Don't throw too many pitches, maybe about 50. Don't try to max out on speed when you practice, but you do need to throw firm fastballs. Strike zone command is all about developing muscle memory and being able to repeat mechanics that will allow you to place the ball where you want to.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
After pitching little league, grade school, high school, college and semi pro, the one thing that remained the same is BALANCE!

Practice standing on your right foot with your left knee raised in delivery position and hold it there (called the "flamingo") and practice not falling over. You should be able to do at least 3 minutes without falling. Work on your calves. Stand with your toes on the edge of a step and push your body up just with the top half of your foot.

Keep in mind all these people telling you to throw more...75% of velocity comes from your LEGS, not your ARM. Long toss is good for flexibility and is definitely important. It helps keep you loose. Limit yourself throwing to every other day at most. Youre a young guy, so I woundnt throw more than 80% of your velocity when practicing.

I also suggest keeping a baseball around. When youre watching TV or whatever, hold the ball. Get a feel for grips, stitching, the ball itself. Get used to different grips and holding it how it feels comfortable to you. Maybe youre an "on the laces" guy where your fastball feels better with your fingers on the seams. Maybe thats not comfortable, especially if you have smaller hands. You might be an ":eek:ver the seams" thrower where your fingers rest with the first joint of your fingers are on the seams and your fingertips are on the other side of the seams.

Just keep working hard, work on your balance and flexibility and dont overdo it. The rest comes with practice and repetition.
Good Luck!
Tom

ethanbryer

Jun 22, 2010
So. Missouri
Thanks for the comments guys,
I longed tossed until it's just to cold to stay outside,
next year I will be sure to get back out there,

I do know that I'm not a power pitcher, all of us, picther or not, are throwing as a picther this winter, And i was just trying to see if I could improve to keep up with them,
I'm pretty sure I won't be a pitcher during regular season,
but anyways thanks for the comments

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You can throw with a weighted baseball at any age but never throw a weighted baseball off a mound (arm stress is higher when elevated) and dont play catch with a weighted baseball. Plus, I said at 60% effort.

This will also help develop a whip to your pitching motion by making the forearm and wrist stronger.

Watch Maranio Riveria in Spring Training before games, what is he doing ? Throwing long toss with weighted baseball.

Members online

Latest posts