Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Astros Caravan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Because the other thread about Clint Barmes got thread-jacked, I figure I'd start another thread discussing the Astros Caravan exclusively.

As someone pointed out in the other thread, Matt Lindstrom just got traded this morning, so I'm interested to see if they replace him or just leave his slot empty. I'm holding out hope some other retired Astros player would take his spot (Dave Rader?).

The stop I was figuring to hit was going to be the Cypress Academy... I've already been scoping MLB.com's photo shop to pick out some 8x10s, but they're a bit pricey at $10 each. Anyone know another good source online? Photofile obviously is the best choice, but their website is awful and has zero selection (even though they clearly have 8x10s of every player ever because they supply the TriStar shows).

What's this "Astroline" y'all talk about from time to time? I'm new to Houston (2008 arrival) so I'm still learning about all the local events.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There isn't much to speak of as far as the caravan goes. It pretty much sucks this year. Bad player selection and a lot of them are too far away to make it worth going considering the players who will be attending. I'll probably hit up the Webster and maybe...just maybe, the Katy one.

Astro line is okay provided its not a big name player. If it is...it could turn sour quickly. They are a little liberal with handing out the tickets to the wrong people.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
If anyone's going to be at the Cypress stop and has an extra Brian Bogusevic card for sale, let me know. I carry cash :)

If I can find a card I think I'd rather get him on that than a OMLB. It's a little late in the game for an eBay run, unfortunately.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Like an idiot I ran up and nabbed an auto of him at astros line even though he'd be here close to the house tomorrow. And sure enough...I have absolutely nothing for him to sign. Same with Chris Johnson. I have like 3 of the same chromes out of Bowman and I already got one of them signed. The only other cards I even own of his are either numbered(which I never get signed) or already pack pulled certified autos. Already got him on a ball and a team helmet. I don't see him being good enough to have him sign a bat.

Also got Dierker on everything I had so I'll have to conjure up something for him. Other than Bill Hall...and Deshaies...I have nothing for anyone tomorrow. Its kinda why I said it sucked this year. Chances are, if you have been going for the last few years and you don't actively look for things just to get signed...you already have had your fill of these guys. I was kinda hoping they'd have some of the newer guys. They don't have many. I personally don't buy too much throughout the year to get signed because I hate having that hanging over my head. It seems every time I do this it happens where I either can't go to get that particular guy or for some reason they get traded or they aren't signing. And I am not stocking up on guys like Milo Hamilton or the managers. Not even every day players. I just don't feel the need.

To give you an idea:

Chris Johnson
1 OMLB, 2 rookie cards, team helmet, 1 player card giveaway at random signing.

Hunter pence
2 OMLB's, 1 large photo, 1 bat, 1 mini helmet, 2 programs, 12 certified auto'd cards.

Brian Bogusevic
1 OMLB, team helmet

Larry Dierker
2 cards, 1 OMLB, 1 index card, 1 player card giveaway at random signing.

Milo Hamilton
1 OMLB, team helmet, 1 card, 1 index card, 1 stadium giveaway print, 3 player cards given away free at random signing.

Jose Cruz
4 player card giveaways at random signings, 1 OMLB, 1 bat, 3 cards, team helmet.

Jim Deshaies
1 OMLB, team helmet, 3 cards, 5 player card giveaway at random signings, 1 index card.

Michael Bourn
1 OMLB, 1Gold Glove baseball, 3 cards(two with 09 Gold Glove inscription...the other a rookie card), 4 certified pack pulled autos, 2 player card giveaways at random signings, 1 bat, team helmet.

These are just a few guys off the top of my head. If you go a couple of years in a row, you get to the point where there really isn't much else to get signed and the only way you even bother going is by finding more to get signed. Most of the time now, if there is no one there I need, I just don't go simply because I'd rather let people who haven't gotten anything yet get something. Why take up space in the line? Bout the only reason I am going this year is for Hall(would have been Lindstrom) and Meachum. Maybe even Deshaies as I am working on a little side project for him right now.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I got Bourn & Norris at the TriStar show last year, so really I'm mostly going for Shane Reynolds.

However, my dilemma is whether Reynolds was good enough to get on an OMLB or just get a card. I'm leaning towards OMLB just because he doesn't sign much, but the jury's basically still out on that one.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ignition said:
I got Bourn & Norris at the TriStar show last year, so really I'm mostly going for Shane Reynolds.

However, my dilemma is whether Reynolds was good enough to get on an OMLB or just get a card. I'm leaning towards OMLB just because he doesn't sign much, but the jury's basically still out on that one.

Bourn has been available at the show as well as several signings around town for the last few years. Norris was available last year at the astros line.

As for Reynolds...he was also available at the Tristar show a couple of years back for free. But IMO...yes he is worth getting on an OMLB.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
I have a fracking meeting tomorrow at 5:30

Signing is tomorrow at 3. You should be good. Just get there early so you don't get caught up and make it there late.

Oh...btw...I just stepped out and went to the Academy here for today's. There wasn't a soul there. In fact the Lady said nobody had even asked about it. So I came home. Too damn cold to go sit out there right now.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
predatorkj said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
I have a fracking meeting tomorrow at 5:30

Signing is tomorrow at 3. You should be good. Just get there early so you don't get caught up and make it there late.

Oh...btw...I just stepped out and went to the Academy here for today's. There wasn't a soul there. In fact the Lady said nobody had even asked about it. So I came home. Too damn cold to go sit out there right now.
It's 4:30-6. I probably would't have been able to make it until 4:00, so its doubtful I could have made it in time.

In general, how early do you recommend showing up? I plan on going tomorrow.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Oh...you would have been fine. I got through twice and got a total of 23 autos. Got every one of my Jim Deshaies cards signed. People were showing up at like 5:30 and easily getting through.

Now as for tomorrow...not sure. I really have no idea. I'd say be there by noon at the latest. Really...the only good guy is Pence so the line shouldn't be that crazy. But people will still come out for Pence. Oh...and btw...Johnson won't be there supposedly. This was said by him so I tend to believe it.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Nice haul!

I'll probably get there around 12:30 (early as I can).
They have a different line for each player?
Do they sometimes have surprise signers? Johnson wasn't on the schedule for tomorrow.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
Nice haul!

I'll probably get there around 12:30 (early as I can).
They have a different line for each player?
Do they sometimes have surprise signers? Johnson wasn't on the schedule for tomorrow.

Actually he was but they moved him since he did astros line this week. And no...its just one line for all the players. I had some help. Plus Deshaies was pretty cool about signing multiple cards of his. I got 13 of them done today plus my team helmet by him. Got two of everyone else. Mostly just the player cards though I did get Bill Hall on a ball and Dierker on my team helmet.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Wow - so I decided to cut out from work a little early today in hopes of getting Beacham at the Katy Academy Sports. I got there at 3:05 when the line was already out the door. And I stood there until 4:20 when I decided it wasn't going to happen and left for home.

Granted I didn't really care the guys signing (Pence and Bourn really don't do it for me), but really, could Academy run these things any more poorly than they did? They said they gave out 200 tickets and that was all they had time for. Seriously? TriStar moves 400-500 in about 90 minutes. Academy can't move 200 in that same time?

I'm wondering if I should even bother going to the Cypress stop, even though I'll clearly be able to get there far ahead of time.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
I arrived at 12:30 and got ticket #100. People didn't really have their stuff ready or took their sweet time. I ended up talking to Hunter an Meacham for almost a minute because people were talking so long. It was frustrating to see people with multiple tickets (i only noticed two). I went to the back of the line after my first time through, but didn't get close to making it again. Did anyone see the guy with the cart of stuff? wtf was that about?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ignition said:
Wow - so I decided to cut out from work a little early today in hopes of getting Beacham at the Katy Academy Sports. I got there at 3:05 when the line was already out the door. And I stood there until 4:20 when I decided it wasn't going to happen and left for home.

Granted I didn't really care the guys signing (Pence and Bourn really don't do it for me), but really, could Academy run these things any more poorly than they did? They said they gave out 200 tickets and that was all they had time for. Seriously? TriStar moves 400-500 in about 90 minutes. Academy can't move 200 in that same time?

I'm wondering if I should even bother going to the Cypress stop, even though I'll clearly be able to get there far ahead of time.

What where you wearing? I may have seen you. I got back in line just to try to get some autos for a buddy but I didn't get through twice.

In any case...Academy runs it how they see fit for many reasons. This is my fourth year and trust me, its actually gotten better than it used to be. The real problem is the fans who sit there and want to jabber with the players. This holds stuff up big time. But I'll tell you this in the nicest way possible: Either get there early or don't go at all. Don't ever expect to show up after the signing starts or right before and get an auto. Even for some of the weaker ones...it can be hard to pull off. People were actually getting ticked that they may not get in and I couldn't help wondering how they figured they'd get in at all if they decided to show up so late. Knowing that many of them don't probably do this very often and autos aren't their thing, I just held my tongue.

On the other hand...I have seen the same amount of players(5 total if you count the announcer Dolan in) sign for well over 300 people in the same amount of time. There was less than 300 people there today so I am not sure why they didn't get through them all. But like I said...people jabber to much. Sorry you didn't get anything though. Its the main reason I never show up late though. Even if its a real scrub...I'd rather know damn good and well I'll get the auto.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Point taken - I will get to the Cypress stop at noon and bring a snack and a book.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ignition said:
Point taken - I will get to the Cypress stop at noon and bring a snack and a book.

Like I did today! :lol: Read about 75 pages of Ball 4 by Jim Bouton as well as the newspaper.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
I arrived at 12:30 and got ticket #100. People didn't really have their stuff ready or took their sweet time. I ended up talking to Hunter an Meacham for almost a minute because people were talking so long. It was frustrating to see people with multiple tickets (i only noticed two). I went to the back of the line after my first time through, but didn't get close to making it again. Did anyone see the guy with the cart of stuff? wtf was that about?

With all the bats right? Mizuno and then he had that box with a rawlings big stick tied up in a tristar bag? Kinda odd but the guy in the white shirt he kept talking to...I have seen him before quite a few times. But not ole boy with the bats. Not sure. I have no idea how the hell he figured to get them all signed not to mention $70 bats are a little steep considering most of those guys never used those models.Where were you in comparison to them? I was like a few people behind them.

Latest posts